• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Rescue swimmer/Aw question

Chaz Sanders

hello everyone I'm 19 and am looking forward to joining the Navy in the near future, my question's to you guys is how hard is it to past the rescue swimmer school, also whats the attrition rate?, Anyone on here recently go through the course, let me know how it was. My other question is say i didn't pass Rescue swimmer course do i still move on with my AW school or do i just get dropped and go to the needs of the navy, i have heard both answer to that question and i want to see if you guys can shed some light for me. Thank you guys in advance and sorry if this question seems stupid:rolleyes: .

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
It's a hard school, but you can set yourself up for success by preparing yourself physically beforehand. I don't know the attrition rates, but those shouldn't matter to you anyway. Not all AW's are rescue swimmers, they have AW's on P-3's and H-53's. However, from time to time the Navy will need to get rid of a few people, so you may or may not get to keep your rate if you attrite from RSS. It all depends on the needs of the Navy at the time.

Run, swim, get better at pushups/pullups/situps, and then smoke RSS. The rest will fall into place if you take care of those things.

highside7r

None
Just realize this site is geared more to the officer side, but if you search you can find some of the same questions you are asking. At least you are researching on your own and not listening to everything a recruiter will tell you. As a former instructor the highest attrition rate I saw was 60%. Most come in under a contract, so if you break said contract, accept your fate as "needs of the Navy", although I have see some keep AW. Besides the physical part mentioned, the advice I give to most is to make sure you are comfortable in the water, beyond swimming, as in someone pulling/pushing you under when you least expect it. I've seen guys that kill everything PT wise, and then cry in the water. Watch the "The Guardian" a few more times.

robav8r

None
Contributor
This link will help get you going . . . . .

https://www.netc.navy.mil/nascweb/aeats/arss/arss_physical.htm

Course Title: Aviation Rescue Swimmer School
Course Identification Number: C-050-0600

Prerequisites:
  • All personnel shall have a current flight physical and Aero-Medical Clearance Notice (NAVMED Form 6410/2) approving participation in training
  • All students must satisfactorily complete Naval Aircrewman Candidate School, CIN Q-050-1500, within the preceding six months or be a designated aircrewman.
  • All students must be current in all survival and aviation physiology training, in accordance with OPNAV Instruction 3710.7.
  • All students must pass the In-Test which consists of the following:
    • 2 Pull-ups - 2 minutes maximum
    • 50 Sit-ups - 2 minutes maximum
    • 35 Push-ups - 2 minutes maximum
    • 1.5 mile run - 12 minutes maximum
    • 400 meter swim in gear - 11 minutes maximum
Note: All students shall complete prerequisites prior to entering Aviation Rescue Swimmer School.
Course Length:
Planned: 25 training days
Current: 25 training days

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
Having gone through the NACCS/AW A/RSS/..../RAG pipeline, I'd like to offer insights. But I think nearly 30-year-old data is beyond useless....

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
Just out of boredom I clicked on Rob's link, bounced around the Naval Aviation Schools Command website, and discovered that the current CO started out in H-2's! West Coast even! Quick check of the timeline shows that we didn't cross paths, however....

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Chaz,
I enlisted in 2004 to be a Rescue Swimmer. I thought I was decent in the water and was in good shape, I was wrong. I ended up DOR'ing the SAR program in Boot Camp and going dry Aircrew (not a common occurrence) Here is what I remember from then:
SAR is fucking hard. You have Aircrew Candidate school for the first month, which was difficult enough (0430 wake-up, breakfast, PT until 1030, class, lunch, swim until 1400, class, 1600 secure) but also included extracurricular swim training for the SAR Bubbas.

Then the SAR guys went to SAR school. Think LOTS of PT, LOTS of swimming, very personalized attention (small class, plenty of instructors) and fairly technical teaching. You have to be 100% motivated to make it through, the two classes that graduated when I was there were 3 out of the original 16 and 5 out of the original 20. I'm sure it isn't any easier today.

After SAR school you have your in-rate training (A-School) which is still in Pensacola along with the other schools. M/W/F you get up at 0530, go PT or hit the pool, and then have breakfast, hit school until 1200, an hour for lunch, then more school until 1600. There is also your standard watches, duty section, lots of boom-boom kitty fuck-fuck games (as in some 20 year old jack-waffle getting his rocks off making you swab the fourth deck) etc.

Following A-School, you will go to the FRS and learn your specific airframe. Then SERE school, then the fleet.

I love the Navy, and am making a career out of it. I would encourage anyone to do the same, but I don't want you going into it blind. You need good ASVAB scores to get in, you need motivation, to be in good/great shape, have a good sense in the water, and the humility to have your manhood questioned every day. SAR bubbas get lots of respect in the Navy, and they earn it.

As far as transferring out of the rate to another, it is needs of the Navy, I got lucky and found a spot as a Dry Aircrewman, but with PTS, ERB, and all the other down-sizing going on in the Navy today, you better be damn sure you are picking the right rate. You may find yourself undesignated or you may have another rate open. It also depends on why you attrited and what impression you made on the staff there, they will work for you if you work for them.

Depending on where you live, go find your recruiter, have him put you in touch with a rescue swimmer, or a SWCC/SEAL guy, and go work out with them once. It will open your eyes. Do an honest evaluation, and if you find yourself short, pick a different rate, or do some more work before you enlist. I had my realization a little late (boot camp) and was lucky to have an ASVAB of 99, a degree, and a very good Chief, I could pick whatever rate I wanted.

Finally, realize it is 90% mental. Your outward persona will be judged way more than how many push-ups you can do. That includes your reaction to stressors, your ability to lead and follow, and how well you work as a team. I would suggest you start working on your grammar around here, it was hard to pick through your original post (I hate reading text messages), and you will get more/better responses if you use the English language as designed.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

Pickle

SoOthersMayLive

pilot
I was originally a SAR swimmer, I went through SAR school in 2002, and was an instructor prior to going to OCS. First and foremost, don't let anybody else's opinion of something that you want to do turn you away from it. If it is what you want and you are willing to move heaven and earth to get it then you will be fine. Our class started with 26 students, 6 of us were left standing at the end. Personally, whenever someone dropped or quit it just pumped me up that much more. Someone above posted the course minimums, just be advised that those are simply the entry and exit requirements. Once you are in the school it is a whole different ball game. You will be pushed well beyond your limits, you will probably think about quitting everyday. But when it is all over and smoke has finally cleared you will look at yourself in an entirely new light knowing that everything you thought you knew about yourself was wrong. You will realize that the only limits you have are the ones you give yourself.

As far as if you DOR, I knew a bunch of guys that dropped and I ran into a couple of them later on. None of them were kept in the aircrew community. The Navy kept them around but gave them maintenance jobs.

This was just my two cents, if it is something that you think you want to do than it's probably not for you. If its something you KNOW you want to do then it probably is. I'll add this to finish up, looking back, I can honestly say that there isn't another job in the Navy that I would have preferred as an enlisted sailor, not SEAL or SWICC or EOD. So if you are going to do it then go all out. Good luck.

Renegade One

None
I just wanted to say thanks to all you Rescue Swimmers who took the time to answer this person's questions thoughtfully and honestly. There was one of you who, on Friday, September 13 1978, pulled my sorry, cold, wet ass out of the water, and I remain forever grateful!
I don't know what we're paying you folks these days...but it ain't enough!

Kaman

Beech 1900 pilot's; "Fly it like you stole it"
I am like HeloBubba...My Rescue Swimmer School experience was almost 30 years ago, BUT much of what held true then is valid today...You MUST be self-motivated and have the ability to think clearly under stress and especially when you are feeling like you are at the limit of your physical and mental endurance. When I went thru, we had what was called, "hell-day" and the object was to wear you out all day long with PT, open ocean swim, running, mind games, etc...Then take you to the pool and give you a worst case scenario for which you had little if any real preparation...it was pretty nuts when I look back on it today, but the training I was given has served me well...And, in ways that have absolutely nothing to do with flying or being a swimmer....more like a state of mind that you WILL NOT QUIT...Best of luck and don't hesitate to send me a message if you have any questions...

HueySAR

Hey Kaman, did you have Garrido as an instructor?! I HATED his pushup challenges!!

I completed RSS at NAS Pensacola in 1985. 16 years later I completed Chief Petty Officer INITIATION. The rest of my Navy training was pretty tame compared to these two. They both required self dedication, self motivation, and self retrospection. It's been said several times in this thread, but stands to be repeated.

At night, in high seas, once you're out of the bird, YOU are the person that will make or break the rescue. You have to constantly look inside yourself and be honest in your assessment of your ability to be successful.

The same holds true in your training. If you can finish each day confident in your abilities and knowledge and wake up each morning ready to tackle each and every challenge then you're going to be successful.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The same holds true in your training. If you can finish each day confident in your abilities and knowledge and wake up each morning ready to tackle each and every challenge then you're going to be successful.

Chief Rick, Hand Salute to you, Kaman, and all the SAR Crews over many years. BzB604 successfully plucked from under the enemy guns at Vinh, NVN...by SH-3A "Fetch 53" from USS RANGER on 06/25/66. Details on dramatic 'double rescue' available if you desire, PM me your e-mail address.:)
Fetch 53-1.jpg
BzB