• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MEPS Med Waiver Question

unbroken

Naval officer
Hi all,

Quick question: Went through MEPS recently, and all went well except that apparently if you are female and have benign ovarian cysts (which is true for a large #, if not most, women), this is potential grounds for disqualification. I've never had any medical issues with them, but the Navy is still requiring me to submit additional medical information so that it can be considered for a waiver.

Is there anything I can do for this besides submit a letter from my Dr. stating that they are benign, common, and shouldn't limit my performance? Even my MEPS dr. said he used to see that all the time in women, but I feel like the military finds just about any reason to DQ these days.

Secondary to that, two follow up inquiries:

(1) If I am not granted a waiver, does this also DQ me from pursuing the reserves in another branch of service?

(2) Say I get them removed, which is a very simple procedure anyway. Could I then reapply or are you PDQd regardless of condition? If I could reapply, how long would I have to wait?

Thank you!

Hi all,

Quick question: Went through MEPS recently, and all went well except that apparently if you are female and have benign ovarian cysts (which is true for a large #, if not most, women), this is potential grounds for disqualification. I've never had any medical issues with them, but the Navy is still requiring me to submit additional medical information so that it can be considered for a waiver.

Is there anything I can do for this besides submit a letter from my Dr. stating that they are benign, common, and shouldn't limit my performance? Even my MEPS dr. said he used to see that all the time in women, but I feel like the military finds just about any reason to DQ these days.

Secondary to that, two follow up inquiries:

(1) If I am not granted a waiver, does this also DQ me from pursuing the reserves in another branch of service?

(2) Say I get them removed, which is a very simple procedure anyway. Could I then reapply or are you PDQd regardless of condition? If I could reapply, how long would I have to wait?

Thank you!

NRC N3M makes the PQ/PQW/NPQ determination, not MEPS. N3M will likely ask for additional medical documentation in order to make a decision regarding a waiver. Your doctor should submit a consult that states that the cysts are indeed benign and that you are not currently taking any medication for the cysts. If you are taking medication for the cysts you will likely be found NPQ.

(1) If you are not granted a waiver , that would only preclude you from joining the Navy. N3M cannot speak for other services.

(2) Cant speak for removal but if they are benign and you aren't on medication you could be waived and then removal would not be a requirement.

Hope that helps.

HR

psulaw0929

OCS Class 04-16, 27 SEP 2015
Hey, I found this thread and am curious about medical waivers as well. If anyone can give me some information, I would appreciate it. I had three "things" on my medical prescreen sheet (all three things were unrelated, single incidents, that happened many years ago). I submitted all my medical records, documents, etc. to my OR, who sent them to MEPS, six working-days ago. I read somewhere that MEPS had to get back to me within three days. I called my OR and he said that they haven't gotten back to him. This makes me think that instead of MEPS, my medical paperwork is actually at N3M. Just as an FYI, I haven't actually gone to MEPS yet and had my physical. So a few questions which I will try to keep neutral so their answers may be helpful to others instead of just me:

1. How long does MEPS have to make a determination based on an applicant's prescreen and medical records?
2. How long does N3M have to make a determination based on MEPS's findings?
3. I know it is case by case but, how likely is someone to get a medical waiver, generally? I have heard some people say that MEPS/N3M can act as gate keepers who try to prevent anyone who they think will cost the Navy money down the line from getting PQed, and I have heard others say that if it isn't something that affects you being fit for duty, then they will pretty much grant a waiver.

I've worked very hard to get my Pro Rec and I would be very disappointed if I couldn't become a naval officer because of some medical stuff that happened 14 years ago. Thanks in advance for any information! Good luck with your waiver @unbroken !

exNavyOffRec

Hey, I found this thread and am curious about medical waivers as well. If anyone can give me some information, I would appreciate it. I had three "things" on my medical prescreen sheet (all three things were unrelated, single incidents, that happened many years ago). I submitted all my medical records, documents, etc. to my OR, who sent them to MEPS, six working-days ago. I read somewhere that MEPS had to get back to me within three days. I called my OR and he said that they haven't gotten back to him. This makes me think that instead of MEPS, my medical paperwork is actually at N3M. Just as an FYI, I haven't actually gone to MEPS yet and had my physical. So a few questions which I will try to keep neutral so their answers may be helpful to others instead of just me:

1. How long does MEPS have to make a determination based on an applicant's prescreen and medical records?
2. How long does N3M have to make a determination based on MEPS's findings?
3. I know it is case by case but, how likely is someone to get a medical waiver, generally? I have heard some people say that MEPS/N3M can act as gate keepers who try to prevent anyone who they think will cost the Navy money down the line from getting PQed, and I have heard others say that if it isn't something that affects you being fit for duty, then they will pretty much grant a waiver.

I've worked very hard to get my Pro Rec and I would be very disappointed if I couldn't become a naval officer because of some medical stuff that happened 14 years ago. Thanks in advance for any information! Good luck with your waiver @unbroken !

Normally it takes 72 hours, here is an example your OR submits them on Monday at 8 am, the clock starts Tuesday morning, that means the results should be back on Friday morning, sometimes if there are many documents it can take longer.

MEPS doesn't send anything to N3M, only the NRD sends items to N3M

There are many items that don't affect being fit for duty that will keep you out, those same items that you may have a person may develop on AD and stay on AD, I have had priors that had conditions that developed while they were on AD, who left AD and then tried to get back in but were denied.

psulaw0929

Thank you for the input. I have my MEPS physical tomorrow morning so I guess all I can do is keep going and see what happens.

psulaw0929

Cleared MEPS this morning without having to get any waivers! Whewwww! That was a close one!