• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine OCS Polygraph, true or false?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KBayDog

Yes. Everyone gets one. They ask you some very personal questions.

If you fail the polygraph, you are immediately sent next door to the brig for 5-10 years for lying. Is it any coincidence that the brig is right next to OCS?

stopolyani.gif

(Oops...looks like I've been caught telling a little white lie...)

pic1.jpg

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
MotivatorJames said:
I've heard rumors that every candidate is given a polygraph at some point before finishing OCS. Is this the truth?

Exactly where did you hear that?

cWood30

PLC Sr's Candidate
The only time I've heard of a polygraph is if/when you go to apply for a higher security clearance. I'm very low on the totem pole though and only an observer. Someone care to elaborate/prove me wrong?

MotivatorJames

I see beside your screen name you have TBS '06 so I'm guessing you have already been to OCS?? If so did you receive a polygraph while there?

MotivatorJames

FLY_USMC said:
Yeah, actually you do, I'm pretty sure they used to administer it much later, but they've had so many people's background checks come back positive for drugs, they figured this was the only way. If I remember right, during in-processing, right after they stick you with all the shots, they cycle you through to the poly room. A weeding out process maybe, it sucked to say the least.

Well here's my situation: For one thing I had no idea that they would be giving polygraphs at OCS, but when I met with the OSO he gave me the primary screening and asked if I had done drugs. Like an idiot I was honest with him and admitted to marijuana use. Right after I told him that he said, "You would have been better off had you not told me that." So when I told him about the last time I used marijuana and how many times I used it over the course of my life, he then asked me if I had done any other drugs in the past. The only other drug I have done other than marijuana is mushrooms and I only did it once, and after he hinted to me that it would be better for me not to admit drug use in the past I figured I shouldn't tell him that I tried mushrooms once. What I dont understand is that why he would hint at it being okay to lie about your drug use in the past if you will eventually get polygraphed at OCS?

ocs_hopeful

I have had alot of active guys tell me, as well as a similar story to motivators,to tell me to not tell them if you have done more drugs besides weed because you will get dq'ed. They all said as long as you were just young and stupid pretty much, and not a user, and no criminal history that you were okay. How much truth to that?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
almost 10 years in and no polygraph. I only have a Secret clearance though.
That is a lot of drug use, the proverbial cat is out of the bag though, dont change your story now.

MotivatorJames

What are the consequences if you tell the truth even though it is not the same answer you gave the OSO? What are the consequences if you get caught lying on the test?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
get caught in a lie and you are done, thanks for playing. Integrity is the cornerstone that the Officer Corps is built on.

MotivatorJames

Marine4life said:
A little advice. Don't ask officers and candidates if you should lie, or how to bend the truth.

I'm not asking anyone about trying to lie or cheat, all I want to know is the truth.

usmcecho4

pilot
No polygraph. Drug waivers are given on a case by case basis; however 3 out of 5 people in my fire team had one so take that for what it's worth. Just tell the truth and you won't have to worry about remembering which lies are current and keeping your story straight.

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

KBayDog

MotivatorJames said:
So basically in my situation I'm screwed if I get polygraphed, even if I do tell the truth??

Son, don't get wrapped around the axle with this supposed polygraph test (that I haven't seen in almost ten years, either...)

Do yourself a favor and tell the truth, all the time, every time. If you do, you will have nothing to worry about. With what you have said so far, one of two things will happen:

1. It will be nothing more than a little more paperwork for your OSO and his boss to get you a waiver.

2. You will be DQ'd from the Corps.

If you tell the truth (as you are expected to as a commissioned officer), you will have no skeletons. You will either earn a seat at OCS, or you will stay in the 1st CivDiv.

Status
Not open for further replies.