• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Major Samuel "Skidkid" Leigh

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
One of our own....

cobra.jpg

It is with a heavy heart that I write this post to inform you all that we have lost one of our moderators. Major Samuel Leigh, Skidkid on Airwarriors.com was recently involved in a mid air with a U.S. Coast Guard C-130. He and eight other service members were lost. Sam has been an active member of this website since 16 April 2004, adding his experience, humor and advice to countless members of this forum. I know that he has personally helped me to run and manage this website, and was a dedicated member of our moderator team that keeps this website running. He has been a selfless contributor to helping others share his dream of flying.
bottomline is I enjoy the AWs site, passing some gouge on to the next generation and getting some perspectives on communities that I dont normally interact with, it was my virtual readyroom while walking with the Grunts.” – Major Sam "Skidkid" Leigh
Skidkid started his first post talking about his college and helping to mentor a future generation of Naval and Marine Corps Aviators. I wish I could say that I met Sam in person, he was always one of those that I hoped to run into at the O’Club one of these days, to help to finally place a name to a face and share some tall tales with. Many of you have flown with and knew Sam and are the better because of it.

If you have any memories to add about Skidkid, how he helped you on this website, or in real life, I encourage you to please take the time to post them here (please allow time for your post to show up, we are moderating all posts in the Memorial Forum). Also, the moderators and I are compiling a “Best of Skidkid” thread to help capture all his contributions so they won’t be lost over time on this website.

Finally, the moderators and I have decided to create a Major Sam “Skidkid” Leigh scholarship on this forum. If you are interested in donating, you can donate here, please annotate it “Skidkid Scholarship”.

Let us not forget Skidkid's copilot and the U.S. Coast Guard Naval Aviators and Aircrewmen that we have lost in this tragic incident:
  • 1st Lt. Thomas Claiborne
  • Lt. Cmdr. Che J. Barnes
  • Lt. Adam W. Bryant
  • Chief Petty Officer John F. Seidman
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class Carl P. Grigonis
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class Monica L. Beacham
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class Jason S. Moletzsky
  • Petty Officer 3rd Class Danny R. Kreder II
Skid, you won’t be forgotten brother,

John

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
This is truly a shock.

I first joined this site some years ago as a young college student wanting to become an Aviator but not really sure how to do it. This site was, and is, the ultimate hub for gouge on how to achieve such goals.

Today, I am a 2nd Lt. literally about to start the POI at TBS tomorrow as a 7599. It was Marines like Skidkid who motivated me and provided the insight I needed to set me on the right track for success. This site will not be the same without him and he will be missed.

RIP, Marine.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
RIP, skid. Thanks for all the knowledges you passed to me in chat and otherwise.

badger16

None
RIP. The knowledge and whit will be missed. Thoughts and Prayers to his family and friends.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
that sucks. enjoyed the shit talking back & forth between him about being a helo bubba.
RIP brother, I'll throw back a bunch for you...
beeri.gif

SF

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Damn, this hits. I didn't know Skidkid, except thru here and a few times in chat, but I sank a little bit when I saw the thread title. He'll be missed, and his family will be in my thoughts.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"Maybe in another life"

RIP brother, I'll throw back a bunch for you...
beeri.gif

SF

Kinda sums it up. His closing remark in a PM to A4s was "maybe in another life" in reference to notion of flying together and partaking of adult beverages in exotic locales. Here's to that life and drink when we get there. Hold a table for us, brother...

Pags

N/A
pilot
A truly awful and tragic loss to his family, his country and this website. It is worsened by the fact that I and many others never had the opportunity to meet the man face to face. His posts were often times far more than just the usual banter, but instead words for fledgling aviators to live by and learn from. I know that learned a great deal from his well grounded inputs to the website. We are richer for having known him, even in such a minor capacity as a name on a website.

Lord, guard and guide the men who fly
Through the great spaces of the sky.
Be with the travelers in the air,
In darkening storms or sunlight fair;
Oh, hear us when we lift our prayer,
For those in peril in the air!

Raptor2216

Damn, this hits. I didn't know Skidkid, except thru here and a few times in chat, but I sank a little bit when I saw the thread title. He'll be missed, and his family will be in my thoughts.

I thought the same thing upon seeing the title and knowing what had happened out in SD. Needless to say, I'm shocked but I know he was doing what he loved most. Truly a sad day. RIP.

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
A shock, to say the least.

Skidkid, you were one of the senior members on here that stood out most to me as a role-model and as a mentor. You provided us young ones with no-bs advice that I know has personally helped me, as I'm sure it has countless others. You will be missed Sir and I hope to see you on the other side.

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
Rest in piece, Sir. Amazing how you can feel a connection and loss from someone you never met in person, just from here. Every mishap I always hoped it wouldn't be someone from here that I "knew", this is truly sad.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Finkle was good people.

No words right now.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
This hit me like a punch in the stomach Fri night when I got the news. Great memories drinking at the Scar Bar and Echo Chamber in Oki with Finkle.

RIP brother.