• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS M9 DoD Pistol Replacement Announced (Joint Handgun winner)

snake020

Contributor
Haven't shot the 320, but I've shot the 226 and own the 229 and 235. Easiest to handle and most accurate and reliable handguns I've owned and shot.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Beats the oversized piece of FOD that is the M9, for sure. I guess we finally learned that not all servicemembers have caveman or cavewoman hands.

jtmedli

pilot
Thank God. I love Sigs. Glocks feel like they're made out of legos to me. And the M9 is a paperweight as far as I'm concerned. Worst pistol I've ever shot.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Dang...I figured the S&W 5946 would've won.

It's awesome (imho).

:D

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Congrats to Sig. Do you foresee the other branches of the Armed Forces following suit?

I know many of the SOF elements have been inching toward Glock 19, incl. NSW which used to issue Sigs, so I would value anyone's thoughts if the Army's recent source selection of Sig will shift the pendulum back at all.

I have only shot a Sig once. It was alright - I honestly don't remember much about it.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Congrats to Sig. Do you foresee the other branches of the Armed Forces following suit?

Yes, you will see a DoD mandate - ultimately it will be about purchase volume. The Marine Corps recently purchased the M9A1 so expect them to be last to adopt, but for everyone else, this will be the service pistol. Lots of New Hampshire jobs will do the talking. Not a bad thing.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Who in the Navy is still using the M9? I haven't seen one in the realm of aviation since the late 1990s.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Who in the Navy is still using the M9? I haven't seen one in the realm of aviation since the late 1990s.

IA's! The folks carrying on the ships I recently visited were also carrying them.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
IA's! The folks carrying on the ships I recently visited were also carrying them.
Yep, had to qual on that POS in Narmy training. I'm told the AF carries them in the cockpit. Think Naval Aviation is the odd duck carrying the M11.