• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for Norfolk Housing

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Headed to Norfolk. Hammering craigslist and other sources but thought I would reach out here too.

Looking for 2br/1ba -ish places, preferably Ghent or Downtown. No pets, just my wife and I.

BackOrdered

Contributor
My three cents, don't sweat the commute to Navsta Norva if you want to consider somewhere like Chesapeake or Dam Neck. It's worth it.

MasterBates

My five cents, having commuted from out by the beach or living local to base:

Anything's OK as long as it doesn't involve I-64 (unless your hours allow HOV), a tunnel or a bridge that opens.

Be prepared for random 40+ minute backups at the gate when MASR Snuffy decided it's up to him to check some random shit that takes 5 seconds more a car, and backs up gate 4 onto 64, and gate 3 onto 564.

Ghent is not bad straight up Granby or Hampton, anything out by Ocean View, Willoughby, Little Creek or Chix Beach is going to be little/no traffic until you hit the gate traffic which you would have been in after fighting down 64 anyways.

First two years I lived out by Oceana, and I could have a 40 minute commute or a 2 hour commute, and it was random.
Last year I lived on Willoughby, and I had a 5 minute commute, plus any gate backups. When it was consistently bad, I'd just ride my bicycle.

MasterBates

My commute from Oceana was Harpers Road to Oceana Blvd to 264 to 64 to gate 4 or 564 to gate 3.

Barring gates being backed up, it had such a wide variance in commute time, it was about impossible at times to get to work at a consistent time, which leads to either being late, or being there so fucking early, you are sitting in your car for an hour because the SDO has not come to unlock shit yet.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Thanks for the commute info. Jives with what I heard from other folks ahead of me.

Rugger

Super Moderatress
Super Moderator
Contributor
I lived in Ghent when I was a JO, as did my pet hinge, and now we live near the Chix Beach area. Both areas are easy to get to work, have bars/restaurants and other venues to occupy your time (Downtown Norfolk - museums, opera house, art galleries. Shore Drive has marinas, easy water access, and lots of running/biking trails) without having to fill your gas tank each way. If kids and PUBLIC schools are a big issue (which doesn't seem to be the case for the OP currently .. Including it just for completeness), then Suffolk, Chesapeake, Churchland/Portsmouth, and some parts of Va Beach are high value targets. A lot of the neighbor kids go to Norfolk Academy, which currently charges more per year than the Navy paid in total for my college tuition.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Seriously consider the length of your commute - it's literally hours lost to just sitting in traffic each day, not to mention the cost of gas, wear and tear on the vehicle, etc. etc. Also, there isn't shit to do in Chesapeake other than watch your neighbors.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I'd suggest living as close as you can handle to Norfolk. Ghent is close-ish, as is the Chesapeake side of the beach. Stick to those places. I spent ~20 months when I was at Miramar living the 40 min - 1.5 hr commute to work depending on randomness thing, and it was hell. I'm probably closer to Oceana than I need to be, but it is really satisfying to be walking in the door at work 10 mins after I left the house after the last couple years (not including my 20+ min commute each way in Merids and Corpus). You're going to be at work a lot more than you are home, and at the end of a typical 10-14 hr day, the last thing you want to do is struggle through Hampton Roads area traffic. Not to mention the drivers around here are among the worst in the country.....just really reall really dumb and aggressive for absolutely no gain....LA drivers have nothing on them. Talking about literally going 10 over the limit in the right lane, with no traffic in the left, and there is still some moron riding 1" behind your bumper in an Altima/Charger on 24s, who nearly hits you at every light. My wife and I were stopped at a red light the other day, in the middle of the day with barely any traffic, and some dude comes flying up behind us and smacks into the back of her car. Long story short I would try to limit your time on the road here, it just isn't worth being around these people.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Since you're no animals/no kids, you've got lots of options. There's plenty to be had in Downtown/Freemason, since they finished turning every empty building into lofts right about when the housing market collapsed. Ghent is nice if you like the college town/artsy vibe, but it's very expensive.

My advice is live somewhere you don't have to get on an interstate for the commute. As others have said, the I-64/-264/-564 shenanigans can make your commute unpleasant.

I lived in VB on the Oceanfront in the RAG (long commute, nice place to live), Ghent for a few months (great living, paid more on rent for a 1-BR apartment than I did in mortgage for my next house), and in Ocean View while in the Fleet (short commute, but it's in the ghettoooooo...)

MasterBates

I scared out most of the thugs with my mad science projects in the garage. They are afraid they'll be turned into newts.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk