• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for gouge? Ask your Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation here (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nose

pilot
Every time we get on a specific subject there are a lot of good questions asked. This site is an awesome source for someone looking for info about some particular program. But what about questions the SNAs and Nuggets have about stuff in the fleet? Seems like people might be shy about asking questions.

I'm starting this thread and calling it "stupid questions" because then you can ask whatever you want and if someone says "That is a stupid question" then you know you put it in the right place.

Naval Aviation is steeped in history and tradition. Got a question about where a term came from - I bet A4s or Cat or one of the other "seasoned" boys will have an answer. Want to know what a CSV is, or who REALLY says "Call the ball" (hint: it ain't the LSO) or what the challenges are of RASTing, this is the place to ask. See a term in another post you don't understand, ask here.

If you know the answer to these questions, you probably don't need this thread, but if you don't or have similar questions, ask away.

Cheers,

Nose

1. Who is the "Big XO"
2. When is a Commander not a Commander and a Captain not a Captain?
3. What is the difference between and AOM and an APM?
4. If someone with gold wings is talking about "Trick or Treat" and it ain't late October, what are they talking about?
5. What is 3710?
6. When/how does one become a "nugget"
7. What is a "no grade"?
8. What is a Pollywog?
9. What is a 1MC? What are the best two words to come out of a 1MC.
10. What is the difference between a section and a division?
11. Why are Air Force guys so ghey? (Just wanted to see if Huggy was paying attention.)
12. What are cut lights? What is a cut pass?
13. What is the difference between the O-3 Level and the third deck?
14. Fill in the blanks: "________, __________, man your brooms!"
15. What is a hangfire?
16. Why are some patches round, some triangles?
17. What is the difference between the Ops Officer, the Air Officer, and the Air Ops officer?
18. What is a 'bosun?
19. On the flight deck, who wears a blue shirt and a yellow float coat?
20. Who is the evil lord on a CV that uses a Ouija board to control his minions?
21. On the radio around the ship, who is "Tower" and who is "Bridge"?
22. What is a single weight setting?
23. What is boarding rate? What is interval? Why are they important?
24. Who gets to break the deck? Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
25. Why are Navy Pilots so damned cool?

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What is 3710? But seriously, is there a rhyme or reason (historically speaking) for the patches being triangular or circular? I've only seen CAG patches that are triangle.

Nose

pilot
What is 3710? But seriously, is there a rhyme or reason (historically speaking) for the patches being triangular or circular? I've only seen CAG patches that are triangle.

Squadrons are (should be) round.
Type wings/schools are triangles pointed up.
Air Wings (CAGs) are triangles pointed down.

So I'm told...

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
So Nose, what are the answers to the above questions? :icon_mi_1

I can see this thread becoming the all time longest in AW history in about 3-6 months. :D

UMichfly

pilot
None
At least it will be good information for all of us booger flickers and the wannabes and not a 200 post treatise on how to make a shiv...not that there's anything wrong with that:D.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor

So I'm told...

TRAWING 1, 2, and 4 all point up. 4 and 5 point down.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Like I said. "Should."

There are lots of exceptions. Don't think it is part of an instruction or anything, just "convention."

So, other than convention or just common practice, is there an actual instruction somewhere covering that kind of stuff?

Nose

pilot
I was wrong, twice. Turns out it is covered by instruction and the triangle direction doesn't matter.

But am I wrong that CAGs are usually pointed down/typewings pointed up? Anyone, Heyjoe/A4s?

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
9. What is a 1MC? What are the best two words to come out of a 1MC.

I always thought it was "The ship is moored," But that is four words. I also heard "Free beer on the pier!" TWICE, upon pulling into Australia. Courtesy of XXXX brewery. I give in though, what are the two best?

Nose

pilot
I always thought it was "The ship is moored," But that is four words. I also heard "Free beer on the pier!" TWICE, upon pulling into Australia. Courtesy of XXXX brewery. I give in though, what are the two best?

Debatable. I would say it is a tie between "Liberty Call" and "Mail Call."

Lovebug201

standby, mark mark, pull
None

So I'm told...

Squadron exception

Attachments

• Vmfa_232.jpg
    Vmfa_232.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 167
Status
Not open for further replies.