• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

LASIK approved for Naval Aviators 7 May 08

BrianUSMC

A closed mouth gathers no feet.
pilot
All,

Just got off the phone today to schedule the procedure... the surgery center said the procedure got signed off as of yesterday (7 MAY) for Naval Aviators. You have to get a consult from your squadron aero-optometrist, and they will send it to them. Good news is that as an aviator, you are Pri-1 on their list. I hope this is good news for any of you thinking of having this done (as opposed to PRK).

BTW, you are only med down for TWO weeks... Can't beat that.

Here is Naval Refractive Surgy Center Balboa's Link:
http://www-nmcsd.med.navy.mil/service/services_view.cfm?csid=89

R/
Slag

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
All,

Just got off the phone today to schedule the procedure... the surgery center said the procedure got signed off as of yesterday (7 MAY) for Naval Aviators. You have to get a consult from your squadron aero-optometrist, and they will send it to them. Good news is that as an aviator, you are Pri-1 on their list. I hope this is good news for any of you thinking of having this done (as opposed to PRK).

BTW, you are only med down for TWO weeks... Can't beat that.

Here is Naval Refractive Surgy Center Balboa's Link:
http://www-nmcsd.med.navy.mil/service/services_view.cfm?csid=89

R/
Slag

I know what I'm asking about at my next flight physical.

BrianUSMC

pilot
Oh, and to clarify for the inevitable nay-sayer nihilists :)... I don't have all the gouge, or even know all about the procedure, but the approval might just be for the Navy to open up its 'study' to Naval Aviators. (looking at my form it says lasik study). So it's the same surgery, et al.

The study has been going on for NFOs for a while now (the optometrist told me in November that he was sending every NFO that wanted it). So this might be the next step- opening the gates for the NAs.

R/
Slag

BrianUSMC

pilot
What about applicants?

I am not sure about applicants. All I know is this is opening the door to winged Naval Aviators (the door has apparently already been open for NFOs).

I will try to talk to our aerospace optometrist today and find out if the door is open for applicants and SNAs, but I doubt it.

Slag

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Open your eyes wide...this won't hurt a bit....BZzzzzzzzzzzzap.

untitled-2.jpg

For the old guys, a new form interrogation..."Is it safe?, Is it safe?"

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
I will try to talk to our aerospace optometrist today and find out if the door is open for applicants and SNAs, but I doubt it.

Yeah, just don't want applicant Timmy to think he can "flap and zap" when he still has to endure all the wonderfulness that is PRK.

Wait!! If you guys all get PRK -- who's gonna drive the UAV's??? :eek:

Why, the Air Force. :D

Tickle

If the PRK results are better why not get PRK

I can't speak to which is better but I was part of the original Aviation study at had PRK in 2000. It was performed at Balboa and the first 72 hours after the surgery pretty much sucked. However, after a month of recovery I was seeing 20/10. I've heard they overcorrect slightly because it isn't an exact science and they want to avoid having to do it again. I have no side effects, no halos. I was a little more light sensitive at night (oncoming cars) but that quickly passed. The nice benefit was picking out our tanker at 15-20 miles over Turkey.

My only advice is to make sure you understand the instruction thoroughly. NROTC students (and I'm assuming others) to have their command endorsement. The danger of zapping 18-20 year olds is that your eye sight might not be fully stabilized yet. I was 26 when I had it done and I see so well that I can actually see the future!

Nomar116

pilot
I had my surgery done when I was 18. I had stable vision for at least 4 or 6 years (although it was an awful 20-800, that's counting fingers folks). I am now 24, I see 20/15 and am a SNA in Primary and wouldn't be here without it.

And if I were doing it all over again and had the chance... I'd do LASIK in a heartbeat over PRK. PRK is an awful experience for the first few days/weeks...

And for the record, all the documentation I have still claims I'm part of a PRK "study" so this new iteration doesn't sound much different. Can potential SNA's do this as well, or only winged aviators?

And be careful you get permission, do it by the book, and document everything. There will probably be people years from now that still won't realize LASIK is approved until you show them it in writing. Thats the way it went for PRK.