• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

JPME Phase-1 via Marine Corpse Institue

flynavy1968

I am currently enrolled in the Marine Corps JPME Phase-1 via the self-study program. Does anyone have any gouge on this?

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Yeah, enroll IMMEDIATELY in a non-resident course in your local area! I've done both phases via non-res and it was a piece of cake. I didn't complete one test and am currently trying to study up for it on my own and am failing miserably.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Are you talking about Expeditionary Warfare School, or Command and Staff? We don't normally refer to it as "JPME phase whatever". I'm an instructor for EWS and can point you in the right direction for any questions that you have on that.

If you're talking C&S, then just go to the seminars and listen for the foot stomps. (That works well for EWS as well).

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Is there a gouge website somewhere? :)

Not that I'm aware of. They've changed the format for EWS to all short answer/essay instead of multiple guess, so the gouge wouldn't do you much good anyway. I think it's the same for C&S.

The days of "get the gouge and be done with it in 2 days" are over. Not that I've ever seen that actually happen. Allegedly.

joemcspeed

If you are talking about EWS, would you mind if I ask, do you prefer going back to quantico for a year (good break from the fleet?) or doing the non-residence course and if that upholds any MOS credibility?

Thanks Gents.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
It's all the same as far as the Marine Corps cares. Resident or non-resident. Do you want to PCS to Quantico for a year of relative peace and quiet? Go resident. Don't want to PCS twice in a year (or worse yet, get stuck in the Quantico/DC suckhole after you graduate)? The do it non-resident at your local seminar.

EWS (resident course) has actually become somewhat competitive to get into. Back in the day it was all volunteer. If you really want to go resident, it will actually help your package to do the non-resident first. Plus, if you don't get picked up for it, it's already done.

Just make sure that you do it prior to the Majors board. Plan on it taking two years to do. Don't wait too long planning to go resident or "get the gouge". Just bang it out. It's a stupid thing to get passed over for.

Clux4

Banned
These days EWS(residents) is starting to sound like a good deal.
At least you go home to you bed every night. You might get couple staff jobs out there and actually spend 3 years in DC. Beats going to Iraq for the 4th time if you ask me.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Title of thread, too funny to change,"JPME Phase-1 via Marine Corpse Institue." It's this some course in pathology or necrophilia that I'm unfamiliar with?

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
You might get couple staff jobs out there and actually spend 3 years in DC. Beats going to Iraq for the 4th time if you ask me.

Is this really the case? After talking with the monitor, following Marines coming off FAC tours, EWS grads get first dibs on follow-on orders.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Is this really the case? After talking with the monitor, following Marines coming off FAC tours, EWS grads get first dibs on follow-on orders.

You got that in writing, right?:D

You are very likely to get 1 of your top 3 choices, as long as your top 3 choices are what your monitor tells you they are.

If you are still a Captain leaving EWS, then the world is your oyster. You can pretty much choose between the fleet, TRACOM, and the RAG (as long as the RAG wants you). Kind of like all the other Captains in the world.

If you leave as a Major, or Major (sel) then guess what...........you have a new monitor. All deals are essentially off.

I wouldn't stress about it if I were you. Most guys will get one of the 3 things listed above out of EWS, and excluding the TRACOM, that often times includes Majors.

Bottom line is there are no iron clad promises with the monitor. Nothing is for sure until the travel claim is processed.

Congrats, by the way on your selection to EWS.

Clux4

Banned
That was the impression I got from the ground monitor last year. I guess things might be different for the air side. Getting first dibs is not bad if there is something left in the pot.
I guess for the air guys, it would be EWS and back to Squadron so probably not bad.

JZAB

Livin the MEU life
pilot
I did the non res course via seminar in p-cola waiting for API, we did the first two classes, Warfighting and C2. The Warfighting exam is a frigging METT-TC analysis, from a scenario similar to a sand table exercises @ TBS. Thankfully, I was only 6 months removed from TBS when I did it. Not that hard, The C2 was a little harder, the instructor gave some good boot stompers so it was not that bad.

Our instructor told us the test method had changed from multiply choice, too all short answer, essay questions on the exams.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Congrats, by the way on your selection to EWS.

Thanks and I was/am pretty excited about it, but I'm on the proverbial chopping block for an IA right now. I found out Christmas Eve that I may be filling an IA billet in OEF near the end of the month. The powers-that-be are down to like 4 names (including mine) to fill 1 billet. I'm hoping to get the ominous ominous this week along with my orders to Va.