• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Joining NROTC Late

mxracer

I was curious if there is any disadvantage to getting into the NROTC program your last two years of college compared to all four years? I'm sure you'd have to work a little harder to make up for lost time regarding Naval classes and the like, but I was just wondering if it would hurt your chances at all in gaining a flight slot as long as long as you have good grades and perform well on the ASTB.

I know the needs of the Navy are the primary factor of becoming a pilot or not, but I just wonder if doing the NROTC program my last two years will effect the selecting process in anyway.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
First of all, the Navy will help you catch up by sending you to Newport, RI for Naval Science Institute for 6.5 weeks during the summer to get your Freshman & Sophomore years of Naval Science classes out of the way as well as teach you to wear a uniform and march. From there, you will start your Junior year as a MIDN 2/C and it will be a steep learning curve to get used to all that is NROTC and fit in.

College program (CP) students only get the monthly stipend but no tuition or book fees. In the end you compete for service assignment just like everyone else and you get your commission upon graduation. Once you graduate and commission, there is no difference between a CP and scholarship midshipman.

It's definitely worth the try AND you won't have to attend OCS when you graduate.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Wudgles

Cause I am most ill and I'm rhymin' and stealin'
pilot
It's definitely worth the try AND you won't have to attend OCS when you graduate.

What he said.

Two of my closest friends from NROTC were CPs. They started a little earlier and were able to pick up scholarships, but they definitely showed everyone that some of the best officers come from outside the initial spectrum, if you get what I mean. Best of luck to you.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
CPers have the heart that a lot of scholarship guys (myself included) didn't...

The Navy is full of MOSTLY awesome people. There are great guys that are getting passed over/getting kicked out right now because there's just not enough room for everyone. If you have a chance, go with it. You'll be happy in the end, trust me.

mxracer

Okay, thanks so much guys! That definitely clears up my reservations. I'm going to call the NROTC recruiter sometime this week, and hopefully, everything will play out. Thanks again!

PapaC03

To beat a dead horse,
From my limited experience, like stated above the amount of scholarship years you receive should have zero impact on your selection. Everyone gets the same commission in the end. I have to agree with ChunksJR though, I can definitely see the CPers putting out the most. (nothing against scholarship guys) In theory, the guys with the scholarship are already secured in a way for commissioning as long as they don't fuck it up. CPers don't have anything guaranteed to them until they earn Advanced Standing or a scholarship. Hope everything works out for the best, and best of luck to you.
-Chad