• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is there a place for help with DCO Paperwork?

marcimom007

Does anyone know if there is a service or place for help with DCO packet paperwork. Everyone I knew in the Navy has passed away. I am trying to find a local navy group for questions, references, suggestions, tips, tricks, etc... People who have been there and done that. I want to surround myself with those of like mind. That is why I signed up here but it would be nice to find locals to meet in person. Salt Lake City, Utah. I appreciate your help in advance.

Marc

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Are you actively applying for the DCO program? If so, for which board? There are many of us here on AW who can provide advice.

My advice is to not wait around on your recruiter. That is, this is your ball and you need to carry it downrange as much as possible.

Do you have any specific questions?

SavvyPR

LCDR, Navy Reserve PAO
Does anyone know if there is a service or place for help with DCO packet paperwork. Everyone I knew in the Navy has passed away. I am trying to find a local navy group for questions, references, suggestions, tips, tricks, etc... People who have been there and done that. I want to surround myself with those of like mind. That is why I signed up here but it would be nice to find locals to meet in person. Salt Lake City, Utah. I appreciate your help in advance.

Marc

Your recruiter should be able to help you with any questions regarding your packet. As for references, you have to have people who have known you for a while... doesn't necessarily have to be Navy or even military for that matter.

As for tricks... keep at it and answer each question honestly. And don't be afraid to take charge of what you need to do. Officer recruiters are helping a lot of people and they don't really have to find candidates... they come to the officers. You are expected to take charge of your own future. If something's not happening the way it should, remember the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

And don't be afraid to ask questions both here and to your recruiter. Good luck... what designator are you going for?

marcimom007

Intel

Thank you all.

Intel

You are right. I have not heard much from my recruiter. I planned on doing all myself. I thought it would be nice to have someone or many who had been through the whole process proof and give suggestions.

I think I am a little different than most candidates - I am an old fart and not fresh out of school but looking to change my life and future. My packet seems to not have enough room for all my experiences and jobs. I am not bragging just saying that is why I feel like and old fart applicant.

My mentor and idol who was retired Navy was recently killed and it brought me to deep reflection that I need to serve. He lived a full life and died with no regrets. I know this came from his service and teachings through the Navy.

I have lots to offer and would be proud serving my country. I hope to follow in his as well as many others footsteps that served our country.

Thanks,

Marc

SavvyPR

LCDR, Navy Reserve PAO
Thank you all.

Intel

You are right. I have not heard much from my recruiter. I planned on doing all myself. I thought it would be nice to have someone or many who had been through the whole process proof and give suggestions.

I think I am a little different than most candidates - I am an old fart and not fresh out of school but looking to change my life and future. My packet seems to not have enough room for all my experiences and jobs. I am not bragging just saying that is why I feel like and old fart applicant.

My mentor and idol who was retired Navy was recently killed and it brought me to deep reflection that I need to serve. He lived a full life and died with no regrets. I know this came from his service and teachings through the Navy.

I have lots to offer and would be proud serving my country. I hope to follow in his as well as many others footsteps that served our country.

Thanks,

Marc

That is something to put in your 400-word motivational statement.

And if you have questions about the packet, make sure to use the search function because I'm sure most--if not all--of the questions have been asked and answered before. If you can't find them and have a specific question, ask it and I'm sure it will get answered here.

Good Luck!

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I'll operate under the assumption that you are interested in becoming a commissioned officer in the Navy Reserve, with the Intelligence designator, via the DCO/DIRCOM (Direct Commission Officer) program.

Below are some recommendations / opinions based on my experience with my recent Intel package. This is your ball and you are going to have to carry it down range because the DCO program is a highly competitive one, for all designators (Intel / Information Warfare / Information Professional / Public Affairs, etc.). That is, there are hundreds of applicants competing for a limited number of slots. Being extremely motivated and flexible, and ensuring your forms are perfect before they are sent to the recruiter will go a long way.

1. Have a look at the Navy's Height and Weight Standards chart and ensure you are somewhat within the standards.

http://www.military.com/Recruiting/Content/0,13898,rec_step07_hw_navy,,00.html

If you are not somewhat within the standards or are obviously overweight, then have a plan ready to remedy the situation before you call the recruiter. The recruiters will notice if you are overweight and being able to tell them that you know you are not within the standards and are doing XYZ to remedy the situation will go a long way.

2. Complete a simple document containing the following information:

• Full Name
  • Address
  • Home / Work / Cell Phone Numbers
  • Email Address
  • Birth date
  • Social Security Number
  • Sex
  • Race
  • Prior Service Information (years, branch, designator, rate/rank, release from duty)
  • College attended
  • Graduation date
  • Degree earned
  • Final GPA
  • Height / Weight
  • Vision (corrected and uncorrected)
  • Medical Conditions
  • Police Record (including the number of traffic violations in the last 7 years)
  • Tattoos
  • Drug use (since you were 16 or within the last 7 years, whichever is shorter)
3. Update your resume.

4. Call the nearest recruiting station and ask for the Officer Recruiter. When you get in touch, inform the recruiter that you are interested in the DCO/DIRCOM program (specify Intelligence).

5. Inform the recruiter that you have a completed officer information sheet and updated resume, and that you would like to schedule a face-to-face interview to discuss the DCO program and your competitiveness, as well as talk about taking the ASTB test.

6. I cannot stress this enough: each and every time you meet with the recruiter or any other Naval representative, civilian or otherwise, show up in a suit (with tie) and make sure you look squared-away (i.e., haircut, polished shoes, etc.). It may be overkill, but you want to be an officer, act and look as squared away as possible at all times.

7. Start studying for the ASTB test.

8. Here are the two main forms you will more than likely have to complete. Have a look at them and ensure you can dedicate the necessary time, especially with regard to the EPSQ / SF-86. You may want to print them out and get a sense of the amount of time you will be spending on them.

SF-86 Questionnaire for National Security Positions

• This form took me 2 full days to complete. That is, 12 - 14 hours per day.
  • If/when you get rolling in the process, your recruiter will set you up with an online ID so that the information can be submitted online.
Application for Commission

• If something does not apply, enter, "N/A"
  • Your motivational statement is extremely important. There is another thread on the board you can reference.

Attachments

• sf86.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
  • 1131_2 _App4Comm_.pdf
    120.7 KB · Views: 32