IP Officer Info

Discussion in 'Lateral Transfer Information' started by nukumall, Jan 14, 2006.

1. nukumall

nukumall Registered User

Information Profesional

Is there an IP officer speciality? My recuiter was talking about it, I dont see it as one of the Thread areas. Please inform me. Thanks.
  2. TheBubba

TheBubba 1820 NOOB None

There is one, but its a pretty small community, and I don't think you can commission into it. Last I heard, they were only taking lateral transfers. They are mainly looking for officers with operational experience.
  3. MarineAir

MarineAir Future Naval Aviator

Excuse me for not knowing,but what is an IP? :confused:
  4. Gatordev

Gatordev Well-Known Member None

They can't tell you until you've got some operational experience. But how do you get experience if you don't know what it is? But it was a round room! (rep points if someone can name that reference)
  5. nukumall

nukumall Registered User

I am in Space Command in the Air Force, I was told it deals with Space Technology some. Secret Squirrel stuff.
  6. Pugs

Pugs Back from the range None

7. Gatordev

Gatordev Well-Known Member None

I'm afraid you may have lapped me on my own reference.
  8. Pugs

Pugs Back from the range None

PM sent Gatorev

Pugs
  9. Steve Wilkins

Steve Wilkins Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time. None

We have a Space Command in Dalghren, VA. Actually, it's been renamed, but its function is the same. A lot of the officers who work there, especially the upper managment, are Informational Professionals. How do I know this?

[threadjack]
    Well, I had orders there once upon a time (couple years ago). Correction, had vebal orders (big difference) and the navy swiped that good deal right out from under me....after I did house hunting leave (from Washington state). It seemed there was a problem with my clearance. I didn't send in the information update like you're supposed to for a Secret clearance. This complicated the issue with getting an interim Top Secret, which was needed for the billet. That billet was my ticket to lateral transfer over to the IP community. No, no, I'm not bitter at all. :icon_rage

Moral of the story: be aware of when your clearance info update is do and get it in early. Do not rely on your Security Mananger to inform you. Yes, yes, I know this is his job, just don't depend on it.

[/threadjack]
  10. twidget

twidget Deskaholic

Sorry, the article you linked to deals with the renaming of Cryptology to Information Warfare, and the realignment of the Navy's Information Warfare community under NETWARCOM. The former director of the Navy's Cryptology community (Commander Naval Security Group), now falls under NNWC.

Information Professionals are not IWs. This is easy to confuse, especially since this thread was opened under the IW forum.

Steve, can you create an IP community forum? (Perhaps under "Lateral Transfers" since that's the only way to get there)

edit: Nevermind, I just moved the whole thing over.
  11. Thisguy

Thisguy Pain-in-the-dick