• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Inshore Flight Ops

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
As the OOD, I’ve seen a couple S-3s launched from TR while at anchor in Halifax, Canada. I’ve also seen a C-2 and OV-10s launch via deck runs without using the cats from TR while underway at less than 10 knots. The OV-10s had too, I’m not sure why the C-2 did it.

Around 1986 or 1987, I was on Carl Vinson as a liaison officer and watched Miss Piggy (US-3) trap while we were anchored at Mombasa, Kenya. She brought Commander, 7th Fleet. They shot her off while anchored the next day when he left.

So this doesn’t surprise me.

exNavyOffRec

Nimitz did it in the early 90's in the Puget Sound off of Seattle after SeaFair, we had a main engine break so instead of getting underway for a few weeks we left where we were moored, shot off the few aircraft we had, then made a left turn to PSNS.

AIRMMCPORET

Plan “A” Retired
Nimitz did it in the early 90's in the Puget Sound off of Seattle after SeaFair, we had a main engine break so instead of getting underway for a few weeks we left where we were moored, shot off the few aircraft we had, then made a left turn to PSNS.

Yep , I saw that and it was bad ass! ?

FlyAU98

We did flight ops in Puget Sound/Elliott Bay off Seattle for SeaFair '98 or '99 on VINSON... I think a couple Prowlers came to play from Whidbey.

We got a lot of help from the USCG to keep the water clear around us.

CAMike

None
Contributor
I was able to view that for a couple of years in the late 90's from end of the Ft. Mason piers, ice chest and cameras in tow. Ft Mason is hallowed Ground for me due of it's role in WWII. 1.6M men departed from the 3 Ft Mason piers, many never came back. Let me share some background on this. The Progressives went bat shit crazy that the local Gov't signed off on this event. I recall reading a SF Chronicle article: Celebrating a culture of war and misogyny in the name of our country and all that goes along with the military preying upon our poor underprivileged youth. So the carrier launch and recovery part of Fleet Week ended almost a quickly as it started. To this day when Fleet week approaches, the progressives talk about how the Blues terrorize citizens and their pets with noise and that this must be stopped!
Go back further to the late 80's when the Blues SF practice sorties involved High AOB pulls whilst in blower between the skyscrapers! That too ended sadly because "some" claimed their windows were broken by the violent noise. Me? If I had a window broken by a Blue, I'd carefully remove it and place the entire frame and window on a pedestal with a commemorative placard along with date!
Libby Schaaf and the SF Board of Supervisors across the bridge are creating a city of blight with no corrective measures on the horizon. Sanctuary, kids walking out of school to protest and loot businesses are the celebration events here. Homelessness increases almost proportionally with the increase in funding, all while most are doing #2 between cars or sometimes on the sidewalk or shooting up on the sidewalk.
Sorry to digress, local current events have fired me up! I'll try and dig through some old 35mm pics and see if I can find some stills of the launches/recoveries. Go Navy! Just remember to ask questions about peoples packages before engaging, and Live La Vida Loco in SF!

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
What was the deal with OV-10's launching of carriers? Never heard of this. Common for the time? Embarked as part of the airwing? Proof of concept? Curious here!