• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IFS Gouge

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
You don't need any gouge. Just study and go fly. IFS is easy. The instructors there aren't that bad and they know their shit. Dont let what everyone says about it scare you.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Try to hold your tongue when you get an instructor with long hair and a beard, in a flight suit, wearing wings and patches from Marine units he was never in. It's one thing to wear a squadron tee-shirt or hat. It's another thing to get dressed up like a Marine hornet driver to teach IFS in a 172...

I didn't do IFS at Skywarrior, but because of a run in I had with a guy described above I will never suggest anyone go to that FBO. If I didn't have to pay for the exam prior to taking it I would have walked out and gone elsewhere.

You don't need any gouge. Just study and go fly. IFS is easy. The instructors there aren't that bad and they know their shit. Dont let what everyone says about it scare you.

Yes Pike, but you say that because you selected Jets right out of IFS you were that good. No one chair flys like you mofo, no one. Did you ever get those brown shoes? See you nxt week.

texags

pilot
Does anyone know how long IFS is? A know a few months ago it was 3-4 weeks total, with 12-13 hours of flight time. Has any effort been made to lengthen it?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Does anyone know how long IFS is? A know a few months ago it was 3-4 weeks total, with 12-13 hours of flight time. Has any effort been made to lengthen it?

No. In fact it has been significantly shortened. A year ago it went from 25 to 15 hours. It ends with your solo, which you have to have by 13.5 hrs... It may be going away totally. There isn't really any significant data that says it reduces the # of attrites and DORs in Primary. In fact, we recently had 2 Marines DOR in Primary that did quite well in IFS.

Wudgles

Cause I am most ill and I'm rhymin' and stealin'
pilot
No. In fact it has been significantly shortened. A year ago it went from 25 to 15 hours. It ends with your solo, which you have to have by 13.5 hrs... It may be going away totally. There isn't really any significant data that says it reduces the # of attrites and DORs in Primary. In fact, we recently had 2 Marines DOR in Primary that did quite well in IFS.

You're correct. You have to finish your solo by 13.5 hours, and it's just the pattern solo (3 full stops). If you screw up or there are other issues beyond your control, you can be waivered to 15 hours.

Marine86

Yeah just had the in-brief today. 13.5 to solo. 15 if needed you can get a waiver - or the plane breaks etc. Essentially what it's looking like is 2 weeks of ground school (mostly online classes actually....odd in contrast to most military instruction) and then 2 weeks of flying where you're basically flying almost all 14 days. Not too worried about it, but it is time to study a bit. Thanks for the gouge.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
You're correct. You have to finish your solo by 13.5 hours, and it's just the pattern solo (3 full stops). If you screw up or there are other issues beyond your control, you can be waivered to 15 hours.

Sweet mother of Jesus, IFS has now lost all purpose. I didn't think the pendulum would swing back toward "no IFS" so fast. But I guess if it never proved able to meet its stated goal of reducing attrition rates in primary it really doesn't serve a purpose.

Floppy_D

I am the hunted
To be fair, there is attrition in IFS. Some folks don't like flying once they get a shot at it; I saw multiple people DOR in IFS. Given the cost to send a person to IFS versus the cost to get them ready to solo in primary... there's probably a positive return. Who knows; it seems hokie, but I can't count high enough to be a bean-counter.

staff03

Is there any chance they might let you be IFS exempt with 15 hours? I have right around that many and am thinking I would definitely use the IFS time as a refresher. Just hoping they wouldn't say I had to skip it.