• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IFS affecting future learning

BenFrm

Hello ladies and gents. With regards to IFS, the FBO instructors said the amount of knowledge we are required to know is way too much to learn and self teach in the span of two weeks. He rec'd that we try to remember what we can, and just study the test booklets and answers and memorize the answers to just pass, and worry about understanding the concepts later.

My question was does the material we learn in IFS build a foundation and carry on with you to API and beyond? Or would everything we need to know about aviation be taught to us by an instructor from API onwards? I just want to set myself up for success.

I know everyone says what you learn can not be brain dumped, but from what it sounds like IFS seems to be a "just pass it so you can go to API."

Thanks

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
Hello ladies and gents. With regards to IFS, the FBO instructors said the amount of knowledge we are required to know is way too much to learn and self teach in the span of two weeks. He rec'd that we try to remember what we can, and just study the test booklets and answers and memorize the answers to just pass, and worry about understanding the concepts later.

My question was does the material we learn in IFS build a foundation and carry on with you to API and beyond? Or would everything we need to know about aviation be taught to us by an instructor from API onwards? I just want to set myself up for success.

I know everyone says what you learn can not be brain dumped, but from what it sounds like IFS seems to be a "just pass it so you can go to API."

Thanks

Very short answer: Yes, just pass it so you can go to API.

Short answer: IFS is a quick and inexpensive litmus test for the military to determine early whether you are petrified of heights, outrageously prone to airsickness, unable to grasp the bare-bones basics of flight or incapable of cramming a lot of study material in a short period of time. It saves the military a whole lot of money when they figure these things out in a Piper Warrior and not a T-6B.

You will leave IFS with a general familiarity regarding aviation procedures along with a brief introduction to the confidence-building experience of flying an aircraft solo. Transitioning to Primary will be like getting off a tricycle and getting into a rocket.

BenFrm

Will your aviation foundation start in API if IFS is used more so as a screening tool?

When in API would you be expected to draw back from material you learned in IFS or would they teach you there?

Thank you!

nukon

pilot
Will your aviation foundation start in API if IFS is used more so as a screening tool?

When in API would you be expected to draw back from material you learned in IFS or would they teach you there?

Thank you!
Disclaimer that syllabi change and I went through IFS/API in 2015, but, I'd say your actual aviation foundation comes from primary. In IFS/API, you'll learn aviation terms and concepts, but generally they are more screening tools than they are education. Everything you're tested on in API will be covered by the API curriculum.

NicNakPaddywhak

pilot
The single biggest takeaway from IFS is going to be learning the sight picture for a 3 degree glideslope on a civilian box-pattern final at 70 KIAS so that you remember when you see it doing 120+ KIAS rolling out from a Navy overhead pattern. You'll get a crash course in comms and federal airspace which you'll refine in Primary and the rest of it you'll perfect in Advanced.

Pags

N/A
pilot
The biggest takeaway from IFS is successful completion and going on to the next step in the process. All the stuff they teach you will be taught to you again (and again). So, in the sense that IFS is maybe your first exposure to aviation it will be the first of many layers in your foundational aviation experience. But it's not a thick layer and any issues with it will be addressed by future training. For instance, if you don't remember all the airspace stuff after IFS, that's OK because you'll learn it again in API, primary IGS, and advanced IGS. And then you'll brief it during flights. And then you'll actually use those knowledges during flight.

I had something like 6mo between IFS and API and retained very little. Which is probably ok because the Navy will teach you their way. My real takeaway from IFS was ZERO desire to ever fly a cessna again.

BenFrm

Disclaimer that syllabi change and I went through IFS/API in 2015, but, I'd say your actual aviation foundation comes from primary. In IFS/API, you'll learn aviation terms and concepts, but generally they are more screening tools than they are education. Everything you're tested on in API will be covered by the API curriculum.
The biggest takeaway from IFS is successful completion and going on to the next step in the process. All the stuff they teach you will be taught to you again (and again). So, in the sense that IFS is maybe your first exposure to aviation it will be the first of many layers in your foundational aviation experience. But it's not a thick layer and any issues with it will be addressed by future training. For instance, if you don't remember all the airspace stuff after IFS, that's OK because you'll learn it again in API, primary IGS, and advanced IGS. And then you'll brief it during flights. And then you'll actually use those knowledges during flight.

I had something like 6mo between IFS and API and retained very little. Which is probably ok because the Navy will teach you their way. My real takeaway from IFS was ZERO desire to ever fly a cessna again.

I am almost done here with IFS and was just worried if I was expected to recall information and calculations from this. If so I would have to go back and study the material until I remembered all of the concepts.

I have a bit of a wait until I start API. I am glad to hear everything you need to know will be taught to you.

Thank you everyone

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
I am almost done here with IFS and was just worried if I was expected to recall information and calculations from this. If so I would have to go back and study the material until I remembered all of the concepts.

I have a bit of a wait until I start API. I am glad to hear everything you need to know will be taught to you.

Thank you everyone

Don't sweat it too much bro. When you get to API they'll tell you exactly what you need to know, and if you put in the work and actually learned the material in IFS it will come back quickly when you start reviewing it. Same with the stuff you learn in API when you get to Primary. Same with the stuff you learn in Primary when you get to Advanced.

Not saying to be a bum and not study or rely solely on the gouge, but the Navy expects that you're not going to remember everything perfectly between the amount of material you need to learn coupled with the abuse your brain cells endure on the weekends ;)

PMPT

I had about 6 weeks between IFS and API and had IFS complete in 26 days or something like that, so I got pushed through very quickly. Definitely a lot to learn in a brief period but I would say I learnt a fair bit and was able to use that later in API, especially for FR&R.

You won’t be required to remember anything from API, as many have said you’ll be taught what you need to know, but you’ll probably be able to remember at least a few things which will help you. API is a little bit slower paced than IFS which is nice, but it still flies by very quickly.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
That they do...

You'd love Brewton, where they slowwwwly accelerate to 5 under the posted limit and realize that's too fast! brake tap! aaaand the traffic light changed yellow so let's stop here. <sigh>