• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

If you're a prior enlisted/active duty OCS applicant, you NEED to read this

exNavyOffRec

I have seen several that did want to reach command that were not good priors, they did not lead they drove their divisions into the ground and alienated themselves from their CPO and other JO's.

I have also seen several good priors, when appropriate they would draw on their prior experience, such as if they had seen the same issue when they were a prior and would say something like "we had the same issue and it was XXX check that as well" or they would say things like "I understand, I have been there as well, we can get through this".

The good ones are supportive, but know they are an officer, they understand the value of a CPO but don't try to be the CPO

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pretty good piece, if you ask me. Unfortunately, I've seen far too many of the "bad ones," who aren't able to effectively adapt.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Pretty well written piece. This is one of the largest reasons I have against joining the Mustang Association...what purpose does it serve?

There are a lot of subsets within the prior community, so we can't all be lumped together.

I've always found the LDO ceremony a bit pretentious and insulting, especially the whole "Mustangs vs, Thoroughbreds" reading...

Pickle

Chairman4Life

Contributor
It's always exciting to see former or current enlisted Sailors, Soldiers, Marines and Airmen seeking a Navy Officer commission, but I've noticed at times many struggle to make that transition. I didn't personally write this blog, but this article is what I like to send to our potential "Mustang" applicants:

https://jorules.wordpress.com/2013/10/28/the-prior-dilemma
That was really good, they should make it mandatory for priors to read when arriving and leaving OCS. It definitely made me realize how it is an issue. Thanks for recommending!

Smirnoff

pilot
I wonder if there is a divide between the OCS and STA-21 mustangs that plays out differently. I think STA-21ers work a lot of this out during their 3 years at ROTC units as an OC. Advantage? Perhaps but interesting nonetheless. Also, nothing wrong with not wanting to be a skipper and just make retirement. Different goals should not affect how you carry yourself as an officer.

jRiot504

He doesn’t aspire to achieve Command at Sea (or its equivalent), but retirement eligibility, and he will do the bare minimum necessary to get him there.

The primary reason I put SWO as my first choice is that it leads to Command at Sea. Is there ever reason to believe that time has passed, and earning Command at Sea is not a feasible goal? With close to 11 years prior's service, I've wondered if there is a limit to my career as SWO (assuming I am selected).

I'm aware this is a lofty goal, and far into the future to concern myself with now, but since it was revived in an old post, I thought I would ask.

froggystyle

The primary reason I put SWO as my first choice is that it leads to Command at Sea. Is there ever reason to believe that time has passed, and earning Command at Sea is not a feasible goal? With close to 11 years prior's service, I've wondered if there is a limit to my career as SWO (assuming I am selected).

I'm aware this is a lofty goal, and far into the future to concern myself with now, but since it was revived in an old post, I thought I would ask.
You can serve up to 30. If you don’t become a skipper in the next 19 years or less then you probably needed to use “Hooked on Phonics” more as a kid.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

I have seen former senior enlisted, as high up as Master Chiefs (E9) become and Officer and ultimately serve in command or even major command.

Being prior enlisted doesn’t hinder your ability in the community.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Your statutory HYT counter is reset when you commission, so you will be on the same playing field as your non prior peers. The decision to go beyond 20 years of service to pursue professional milestones like command is up to you.