• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

If you knew what you do now, what would you tell your pre-flight school school self?

CalmLikeABomb

Just want to know what you old farts would have told yourselves before you went to flight school. I am welcoming both serious and sarcastic responses!

Sonog

pilot
When you get to Corpus, go to fucking Austin bro. As much as you can. It's only 3 hours away.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Buy a truck and a camper to live in. It will keep you light on your feet, and you can spend the weekend on the beach, or wherever and it's easy. Or go big and live in a frat house on the beach.

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
CsSLXb4VUAA_Vxn.jpg

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Don't buy a lot of shit (furniture, boats, cars, etc) - as Swanee pointed out, stay "light and nimble."

Also, try really hard to believe in yourself - it'll help you have a little more fun. I spent the first year or so of flight school waking up each day wondering what it would be that finally caught up and got me the boot. As it turns out, if you make it through the various filters and put in the work, you'll probably be alright. I had three neighbors, each with significant amounts of previous flight time (I had none) and fancy technical degrees from A-list colleges. I was the only one to get winged (as a pilot). Two attrited altogether; one got winged as an NFO.

Last edited:

jtmedli

pilot
"Dump your GF. She ain't the "one"...If she's still wants to get back together when you pin on your wings then she MIGHT be the 'one'"

-Best advice I ever got in flight school.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
1. Start saving in Roth TSP and a Roth IRA after you max Roth TSP. That's worked out great for me.
2. When you think you can't save anymore, you can save in traditional TSP.
3. Enjoy where you are when you are there, with what you're doing, with whom you're with.
4. Every day strive to be a good dude, a good officer, and a good pilot. You should be great at 2 out of 3 if you want to succeed in this business.
5. Timing matters. Get over it. It will help you out sometimes and hurt you other times.

Pags

N/A
pilot
If you end up in the pools for multiple months do something more constructive than party all the time*. Lower your handicap, get a surfboard, a mudding truck, a fishing rod, a gun, learn an instrument, scuba dive, etc.

Dont sacrifice your PT or your health due to the perceived pressures of the sked or too much beer and pizza and not enough running. You don't want to be the guy who can't fit into his chokers on winging day (there's one in every class). Plus it helps with stress and studying.

Figure out how you study to learn this crap and do that. If you're not a flashcard guy don't waste you're time on them. Know how you learn. But still study with your class...collaboratebto graduate.

*still party a lot of course. But you need something to do when hungover.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Never ask for anything, unless you really really need it. It's almost impossible to stand out in a good way as a cone; best case is if Stucon and the OPSO have no idea who you are. Head down, mouth shut, eyes/ears open, nose in the books. And when an instructor asks what you want to select, the right answer is you'll be happy with anything and then ask them about whatever platform they fly.