• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

i thought this was cool.mohawk mig kill vietnam

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
Re: OV-1 Mohawk
Let's not forget the Mohawk is a Mig Killer. Unofficially in Vietnam, 1968 a Mohawk of the 131st aviation company downed a Mig but due to Air Force and Army politics it could not be officially reported or recognized. It seems the Air Force was getting upset that the Army was operating fixed wing aircraft and arming them too. OK my friend had to find an old issue of Flight Journal that I read this in. February 1968 2 0V-1A Mohawks flying through the Ashau Valley were jumped by a Mig 17. The Mig figuring he had a couple easy unarmed kills made a big mistake as after his first pass were he did score some hits his air speed being quite faster than his targets blew past the one he hit and ended up pulling out of its dive out in front and below the Mohawk. Now Capt Ken Lee of the 131st Aviation Co. piloting this aircraft new he did not stand a chance in hell dog fighting the Mig especially as the Mohawk was fully loaded for his patrol. But the when the Mig appeared if front and below Capt Lee let loose with 38 2.75" rockets and a hail of .50 caliber MG fire hoping to scare the Mig off at the very least. He figures he saw 4 rockets and a bunch of the .50 cal hit the Mig and he watched as the Mig's right wing dropped and it went into a cloud bank. A few seconds later it came out of the cloud bank with flickers of flame and black smoke. The last Capt Lee saw of the Mig is it turned into another valley that was encased in cloud cover. Capt Lee was familiar with this valley and was positive that at the altitude the Mig went into the valley at there was no way it was coming out. Capt Lee reported the attack and possible victory to his control ship and unit leaders when he landed and looked over his aircraft with a tail full of bullet holes. Every one was very nervous as they thought he might have shoot down an Aussie F-86 as they operated in the area and no one had ever heard of a Mig that far south. Once the bullet holes were examined and it was determined that they were made from a large caliber, possible 30mm they believed his story. The Army then told Capt Lee to shut up and that it never happened as they fear that the Air Force which had been crying already about the Army having and now arming there fixed wing aircraft would now have a case stating that the Army was moving into there turf and that the Air Force should have control of all fixed wing aircraft. A few weeks later Capt Lee delivered some paper work to Ubon Thailand to a Col Robin Olds commander of the 8th TFW stationed there. Col. Olds question Capt Lee about rumours he had heard of a Mohawk shooting down a Mig, and was surprised to find out it was Capt Lee. He went on to tell Capt Lee that the NVAF had just set up an airfield north of the DMZ and that it is now possible for the Mig to be that far south. A few months later Capt Lee made another trip delivering more paper work to Ubon. Upon arrival he was met by Col. Olds and Chappie James and they ordered Capt Lee to accompany them to the officers club. In the O club both Olds and James told Lee that a Mig had indeed been shot down just as he described and ended up buying him drinks. This was to be the only recognition that Capt Lee got for his Kill, brought into the Mig Killers club around a Bar with Robin Olds and the 8Th TFW.

blackbart22

pilot
When I was at Monterey, the jet guys flew the T-2V, AD guys flew the T-28, and the many motor guys flew the Bug Smasher for proficiency. In 1964, some of us T-28 drivers started getting scheduled with jet jocks who weren't current in the T-28. This was a good deal for us because if the other guy wasn't current in type, I could log A time vis B time so it didn't count against the 100 hour annual maximum. The jet guys told me that army aviators from Fort Ord were flying in the back seats of the T-2Vs. I happened to drop by the records office, and in talking to the E-3 log book guy, mentioned the army pilots. He said that an army pilot would accumulate about 10 hours of T-2V time and then a different pilot's log book would show up. Never heard any more about it and after a couple of months, the jet jocks stopped being scheduled in T-28 back seats. Looked to me as if the army was quietly working to get tactical jets without alerting the Air Force who would have objected.