• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hypothyroid Waiver

BoaisyJon

Point of parliamentary procedure!
After extensively researching the topic on my own via the much-adored search function and personally contacting folks at the Naval Aerospace Medical Institute, as well as the Air Force Safety Center in at Kirtland AFB, I have come across some info that maybe someone on AW could help explain.

I have hypothyroidism, which is waiverable by the Air Force for Class I flyers. According to a Lt. Col that I spoke to, "
A waiver for someone with low thyroid stable on Synthroid is very easy! And definitely obtainable!"

I have included the waiver consideration chart for the USAF
Picture%2015.png

Now on the Navy side, there appears to be less hope. The response I got back from the folks at NAMI was somewhat disheartening:

"Sorry to be late answering this one and it must have been buried.
We do not consider waivers on those with a history of hypothyroidism for
SNA and SNFO applicants. NAMI does consider waivers on designated
personnel meeting certain requirements on a case-by-case basis.

WAIVER: A history of hypothyroidism is CD for all DIF. Applicants for
SNA and SNFO are CD, no waiver recommended. All other categories of
applicants will be considered on a case-by-case basis. A waiver for
designated personnel may be recommended for uncomplicated hypothyroidism when the patient is clinically and chemically euthyroid on a stable dose of replacement levothyroxine (at least 6 weeks), with the TSH stable and in normal range.

Hope that answers the question. The reason is that this is an
abnormality that does affect flight. We don't like to take in anyone
who already has a pre-existing condition since it could worsen and
affect future performance"

My question is this: Why would the Air Force and the Navy have different standards on something like this?

Am I going to be doomed to wearing a scarf for my flying career? That being said, I feel like I should probably warm up to the Air Force more. Can anyone think of anyone else I can contact to get a waiver for the Navy for Hypothyroid? Thanks everyone for your time and effort, as well as entertainment over the last year.

Cheers!
Jon

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I don't know why there are differences which exist between USN/USAF for medical standards.

Looks like it is a done deal, wrt the NAMI word.

BoaisyJon

feddoc-

Any idea where else I can go to get a second opinion? Maybe even another doctor at NAMI? Thanks for your time.

cheers!
Jon

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
NAMI is the only place I know of where you can get a second opinion that matters. It is possible, but very unlikely, that anyone there will take a second look. NAMI's policy of granting waivers for designated personnel, when, for the same condition, they do not grant waivers for applicants has been around for a very long time.

TomcatTug29

WAIVER: A history of hypothyroidism is CD for all DIF. Applicants for
SNA and SNFO are CD, no waiver recommended. All other categories of
applicants will be considered on a case-by-case basis. A waiver for
designated personnel may be recommended for uncomplicated hypothyroidism when the patient is clinically and chemically euthyroid on a stable dose of replacement levothyroxine (at least 6 weeks), with the TSH stable and in normal range.

In regards to the possible Navy waiver,

Is it possible to obtain the waiver for MILD hypothyroidism that is being treated with a low dose (10mg) of Cytomel (Liothyronine Sodium)? I am within normal euthyroid range on Thyroxine (T4), free direct and TSH. Only Triiodothyronine (T3) is slightly below range (2.4 while normal range for my age is 3.5-5.7)
If I am euthyroid with this low dose of Cytomel and have a normal T3, could a medical waiver be obtained for SNA/ SNFO?

Also, could you explain terminology (CD and DIF)
Thanks in advance,

Corey

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
In regards to the possible Navy waiver,

Is it possible to obtain the waiver for MILD hypothyroidism that is being treated with a low dose (10mg) of Cytomel (Liothyronine Sodium)? I am within normal euthyroid range on Thyroxine (T4), free direct and TSH. Only Triiodothyronine (T3) is slightly below range (2.4 while normal range for my age is 3.5-5.7)
If I am euthyroid with this low dose of Cytomel and have a normal T3, could a medical waiver be obtained for SNA/ SNFO?

Also, could you explain terminology (CD and DIF)
Thanks in advance,

Corey

I don't think you will have much luck. However, you will have no luck if you don't ask.

Call the physical standards folks listed in the wavier guide, they may ask you some specifics.

torpedo0126

just out of curiosity, while you got the DIRECT quote from NAMI, who exactly were you speaking to with the Air Force (besides it being a Lt. Colonel)? You wouldn't be the first one who was told something incorrectly.

BoaisyJon

just out of curiosity, while you got the DIRECT quote from NAMI, who exactly were you speaking to with the Air Force (besides it being a Lt. Colonel)? You wouldn't be the first one who was told something incorrectly.

Life Sciences Branch Chief, HQ Air Force Safety Center, Kirtland AFB