• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How much paperwork for PRK at USNA

FLY-NAVY

I haven't been able to find a straight answer on this, maybe someone here can help.
I have about 20/70 vision in both eyes, a little too far from the 20/40 max uncorrected. I know I'll need PRK (I'm going for SNA) at Annapolis, however since the surgery and required recovery time for the waiver is within my time at The Academy, do I even need to do much more than submit my progress/recovery forms to the Navy? Can anyone explain the whole process at USNA for me? I know it's (probably) different from someone going to get it done at OCS or after getting NAMI Whammied.

Thank you

Wudgles

Cause I am most ill and I'm rhymin' and stealin'
pilot
I googled "PRK USNA" and got a few useful hits. And, holy shit, one was actually from... the USNA FAQ web page.

Seriously, search before you ask questions.

"Q: Can I get corrective eye surgery prior to entering the Naval Academy? Will this enable me to fly?

A: All forms of surgical, laser, and mechanical procedures performed to improve vision are disqualifying for admission. Extremely few waivers have been granted for students who have received this type of medical treatment. In general, it is prudent to delay all refractive surgery procedures until after the progression of nearsightedness associated with growth in eye size has ceased (beyond age 21 for many people). However, the Naval Academy is currently allowing some midshipmen to receive PRK in order to be considered for a waiver to enter Special Warfare (SEALs) and Naval Aviation."

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think he was asking more about what actually happens with the PRK process while you're a midshipman at USNA, not having it done beforehand.

@FLY-NAVY: It's a pretty simple process. I had it done there (2008 grad) and I have 20/15 vision now. They'll walk you through it when you get there, but you won't have to worry about it until your 2nd class (Junior) year at USNA.

They'll have a screening for everyone who's interested, and if your eyes are correctable, they'll schedule you for a surgery date up at Bethesda Naval Hospital. It's outpatient, so they shuttle you up there the morning of the surgery (usually a Thursday, so you have the weekend to get through the most painful part of the recovery). The surgery itself takes about five minutes, and your eyesight will be noticeably better when you walk out, although still a bit blurry. They give you a whole bunch of great pain pills, and you'll spend the weekend in bed (you'll still be really really light sensitive). Then, you have to wear sunglasses 24/7 for the next 3ish weeks, until that light sensitivity goes away. Meanwhile, your eyesight will gradually improve, until it settles out about the 2 month point (for me).

As far as the waiver process for aviation goes, they take care of everything for you. Because the optometrist that handles the PRK process is on site at USNA, you do all of your followup appointments after the surgery there. I think it's 1, 3, and 6 month followups. Provided your recovery is going well, they'll do the waiver for you at your pre-commissioning physical (sometime late spring of junior year). The letter gets sent to NAMI, and they should give you the waiver approval letter when you check your medical record out before USNA graduation. There aren't any forms you need to submit, everything is taken care of for you.

Hope that answered your question. USNA makes it pretty simple for you to get PRK, so you don't have to worry about much besides letting the optometrist know you're interested.

FLY-NAVY

Thank you very much cfan, I appreciate the information. It's what I was hoping to hear. The less paperwok, the better.