• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How many have a Masters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

contrail_dash

Since I'm a month from graduation, and don't have a OCS slot yet (injury). I was thinking about starting my masters, I've heard it helps alot. Infact if you apply for the Coast Guards OTS program, they ONLY look at people with a masters right now (insider information on that one).

Anyone have advice on this? How many of you got your masters before applying?

19873016.jpg

aeronerd

Hummer guy
I am graduating in June with a MS in Aerospace Engineering. I submitted my application two weeks ago and am waiting to hear back. My recruiter (in Santa Barbara, CA) told me that most of her previous applicants do not have graduate degrees. However, she also didn't tell me it was a major strength in my application. I'm not sure how much it helps, but I'll post again when I find out if I'm accepted. I've heard they're backed up almost a year now at flight school.

akamifeldman

Interplanetary Ambassador
I understand that many astronauts have at least a Masters, if not a Doctorate....something to think about...

The Three D's of Aviation: Never do anything Dumb, Dangerous, or Different!

kabttu

I've definitely heard that a Master's will help people who may not have had any direction in College. So if you're like me and goofed off during the undergrad years, a Master's will really help. A few other points that someone made to me are:

1. If you already have a Master's the Navy won't have to pay for it, which might be a strength with budgets the way they are now.
2. Won't have to use 2 or 3 years getting a Master's when you can be advancing your career in the Navy.

Kevin

kevin

i got mine and heard it helps. i can't see how it wouldnt help as it shows youve got direction and motivation. if you do well, it also shows you can deal with more difficult subject material (ie, likely to do well in flight school?).

Meridiani

I got my M.S. in Geology shortly before beginning the OCS application process. I was a non-select. My recruiter told me that he had another applicant with an M.S. in Civil Engineering get rejected within the last month. I'm glad I got my M.S., but unfortunately it didn't help me in the selection process. Alas, it's all about timing.

AZSkegee

While on the topic of Masters in the Navy I have some interesting tidbits for you, in the active duty military 5.85% or 12,877 officers have below baccalaueate degree, 39.83% or 87,706 officers have advanced degrees, In the enlisted ranks active duty military 24.70% 284,906 have 1-4 years college (no Degree) 3.16% 36,446 have degree (including your favorite AZ Me lol) .33% 3,752 have advanced degree(working on that), good luck out there folks, when my application process is over Im posting a journal of all my learning experiences which can maybe help another shipmate out later on

eaw75

An advanced degree is always an asset. If you have the means to pursue a master's, go for it. I have my MS in Computer Science. Whether it helped in my selection for OCS is pure speculation, but I'm sure it was a factor (my undergrad GPA was less than stellar).

I also agree with Kevin's point. Graduate school shows your ability to comprehend difficult concepts, often under serious time constraints. In my case, I was a full time student with a full time career in advertising. That equates to little sleep and lots of stress. Hopefully this experience will prepare me for the rigors of OCS.

Eric

PS: The only draw back to grad school is the cost... OUCH!!!

Hudson

No Kidding about the cost. Mine doubled my loans. I have finnished all of the course work for a masters of arts in teaching. Ok, now most will say that it is not a real masters degree program, and I have to admit that it is kind of a funky degree. We did however, have to complete the course work in one year. So as far as the time constraints...it sucked. One more exam left to take and I will have the little piece of paper. Hope I can remember the stuff from three years ago.
Scott

Meridiani

Just reread my post, and thought I'd mention that I didn't mean to imply that getting a Master's degree is without value for the selection process. I think it's certainly a bonus, especially if your undergrad GPA leaves something to be desired. However, in my case, I already posessed a bachelor's degree in physics with a very high GPA. I don't think an M.S. in Geology made me any more desirable as an aviation candidate, LOL.

BTW-I was a research assistant throughout grad school, so the department paid my tuition and paid me a monthly stipend. Funding graduate education is pretty standard practice for the sciences--that's how all the research and teaching get done at the University!
smgreen_125.gif

klray77

Originally posted by Meridiani
However, in my case, I already posessed a bachelor's degree in physics with a very high GPA. I don't think an M.S. in Geology made me any more desirable as an aviation candidate, LOL.

I would guess that someone with your bachelor's and master's degrees might be able to contribute something interesting to a possible problem in Naval Aviation. Don't ask me what that problem might be but I think it's cool that people with all different backgrounds will be working together in Naval Aviation. I may be getting my master's in Aeronautical Engineering soon but let's face it, that's probably fairly common in our field.

contrail_dash

I'm about to graduate with a MS in Geography. My overall GPA is a low 2.7, unfortuneatley they are counting my previous major's classes against me, funny I don't think I should be penalized for something I wasn't any good at and that doesnt count towards my current major.But my major GPA is right at a 3.0.

Several people from my area got in with much much lower GPAs (timing is everything)

I've heard that several schools are offering a masters (MS or MA not sure) in Homeland Security. I'm not sure what the coursework would be, but I've been taking alot of classes dealing with the middle east as well as terrorism. Not your typical geography coursework, but I'm glad they are offered.

All that said and done, I'm still re-applying this summer after grad for OCS, heard they started opening slots for fiscal year 2005.

19873016.jpg

Rainman

pilot
Originally posted by BRM21o
Do you need a masters to reach Major in the Marines?
No. If you're going to continue past, monitor will send you to an advanced school to get a Masters in Warfighting or something else motivating.

Advanced degrees certainly can't help applicants. At the same time, you can get it free from your service as well. Part time while performing in your MOS (100% tuition assistance). or a million other programs. If you do nothing and your service wants to keep promoting you, you will be send to get your advanced degree(s).

I'm sure the priority for you is to get accepted; so anything you can do will make the package better--especially if the undergrad grades aren't there.

--$0.02

kmatthews2

I finished my masters while I applied for the Navy and I would have to say that it was most likely the reason that I was accepted. I did not have a high graduating GPA (2.7, 3.0 overall) but my master's degree was a 3.5 and that must have impressed someone.

One thing though after I was accepted, I was delayed from going in until 13 months later. So I went back for another masters. I was wondering if anyone has anyway to spin this as a good thing. I am used to the corporate world where if you have too many degrees they think that you are a professional student and not willing to work.

Kevin

Kevin Matthews, MBA
Gonzaga University
Graduate Student

Status
Not open for further replies.