• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How long is the wait for active duty PRK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefalo

Im leaving for the Navy in June as an electronics technician. I heard that the Navy offers PRK for free. This sounds great as I have been thinking of laser surgery for sometime now. Does anyone know how long the wait is for active duty personnel?

Rugger

Super Moderatress
Super Moderator
Contributor
PRK wait time

I think about 2 months ago, I heard it was 6 to 9 months on the East Coast. You also are supposed to have some sort of operational requirement associated with your surgery. For example, spec ops, spec war, and air crew usually get approved for the surgery because any type of impaired vision (be it a misplaced contact lens, broken glasses, etc) can affect your mission capability. And your skipper has to sign off on you getting the surgery.

Rugger

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Our squadron CCC just got it, though I don't know how long the wait is. He also had the choice between PRK and Lasik. So it is possible to get if you're not aircrew/SEAL/Bad Mo'fo

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
They were only accepting SEAL/Diver/EOD/aircrew candidates last I heard, but I have seen people stationed at the same commands as support get the surgery. Bottom line is put in for it, all they can say is no, but volunteering for a special program sure wouldn't hurt your chances.

Beefalo

Doesn an ET or an FC get priority? I heard they are part of the combat defense or information division or something with the words combat in it.

turtle_sc

STA-21 Non-select
You are assigned a priority code depending on what your job is. Unless you are SEAL/aircrew/pilot etc, you will most likely get cat 4 (lowest) the wait is anywhere from 2-4 years depending on which coast you are on and which clinic wait list you get on. The one at Bethesda is really long, but the one in Jax is a lot shorter. I had a really bad astigmatism, and had to get on the Bethesda list because they were about the only clinic that would treat me. So, it really depends on what you do and what clinic you go to. Bottom line, is put in for it, it won't hurt. Also as a side note you have to have atleast 12 months left on your contract at the time of surgery or they won't do it.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Great... so I guess getting it on short notice before I ship to OCS isn't a viable option...

Now since the Navy will do it at their facilities, but can't provide it in a timly manner, will Tri-Care pay for it from a civilian doc?

twidget

Deskaholic
Beefalo said:
Im leaving for the Navy in June as an electronics technician. I heard that the Navy offers PRK for free. This sounds great as I have been thinking of laser surgery for sometime now. Does anyone know how long the wait is for active duty personnel?

Hey Beefalo,

Congrats on being an ET, it's a great job. I did it for 13 years. ETs are usually in Combat Systems or Operations Department, but that won't get you any higher on the PRK/Lasik waitlist.

First you have to get screened for the surgery. If your eyes are within the limits to correct, you'll have to wait (not sure how long, 6 months maybe?) for a second appointment to make sure your eyesight is stable. If it is, they'll give you a referral form to take to your command. Your Commanding Officer will have to assign your priority based on your job and approve the surgery. Here's where you may have trouble initially. I doubt whether a training command, i.e. A school will approve you for surgery. You will probably have to wait until you get to your ultimate duty station (could take 1.5-2 years. Then you'll get on the waiting list. As with everything in the Navy, just ask. The worst they can tell you is "no".

Check out the Burea of Medicine website for more info.

Twidget (nickname for ETs BTW)

Rugger

Super Moderatress
Super Moderator
Contributor
VetteMuscle -

It's highly unlikely that you'll get Tricare to pay for PRK prior to OCS as 1) you're not yet an eligible beneficiary, and b) it's an elective procedure.

That being said, you can always ask. The worst that can happen is that they say no. Or make you NAA (non-aeronautically adaptable) on your flight physical -- just kidding.

Rugger

Beefalo

Hey Twidget whats the average day of an ET like on a ship? I mean if they are responsible for fixing electronics stuff what happens when everything is running ok? Or are systems on a Navy ships constantly breaking down? :icon_tong

Status
Not open for further replies.