• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How long do nfo's normally serve?

swampertness

I believe the required time is ten years after one gets their wings, but how long do nfo's normally serve? and is there any reason why they would be asked to leave?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I believe the required time is ten years after one gets their wings, but how long do nfo's normally serve? and is there any reason why they would be asked to leave?
Not sure where you got your info, but it's been discussed on multiple threads. The NFO winging commitment is 6 years after winging.

To answer your second question, as long as keep promoting you can serve a full career plus....there a few Admirals with NFO wings....Admiral timing is around 30 years.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There's no limitations on your career for NFOs. You have the same opportunities as any pilot to be a CAG, commodore, carrier CO, admiral, etc. The current Supe of the Naval Academy is an NFO. As was Admiral Fallon.

Before someone points it out, no, not all pilots or FOs are eligible for all billets. CAGs are fixed-wing carrier types and traditionally big-deck phib COs are helo guys, for example. But the point is those are community-limited billets, not pilot-vs-FO limitations.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
There's no limitations on your career for NFOs. You have the same opportunities as any pilot to be a CAG, commodore, carrier CO, admiral, etc. The current Supe of the Naval Academy is an NFO. As was Admiral Fallon.

Before someone points it out, no, not all pilots or FOs are eligible for all billets. CAGs are fixed-wing carrier types and traditionally big-deck phib COs are helo guys, for example. But the point is those are community-limited billets, not pilot-vs-FO limitations.

Agreed aside from maybe carrier CO, which to my knowledge has not been filled by an NFO of any flavor.....or I guess airboss of a CVN. But that doesn't disprove the point....lots of senior level opportunities for career NFOs and many (like CAG or CSG) seem to be equally open to both types of wing wearers

robav8r

None
Contributor
There are a few P-3 NFO's commanding L class Amphibs. It normally alternates back and forth between SWO's and Aviators. Also, CNAF and PACFLT (soon to be PACOM) are both NFO's . . .

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There are a few P-3 NFO's commanding L class Amphibs. It normally alternates back and forth between SWO's and Aviators. Also, CNAF and PACFLT (soon to be PACOM) are both NFO's . . .

I read somewhere recently that practice is causing heartburn among some SWOs, with some possible justification since it is their first ship command and they are not wise in the ways of the Gator Navy.

robav8r

None
Contributor
I read somewhere recently that practice is causing heartburn among some SWOs, with some possible justification since it is their first ship command and they are not wise in the ways of the Gator Navy.
How many have been relieved due to incompetence (or anything else for that matter)?