• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How bad does a PRK waiver look?

Stalin

I am pretty sure I have a good packet and am up for the October boards. Recently, though, I've come to realize that I need PRK (I am going pilot.) How bad does a PRK waiver look when it comes to selection? I'm hoping my ASTB scores and packet can offset any bad that comes from a PRK waiver

JSF_Dreamer

Busted Head
I got prk before putting my package in (including 1 year wait) and was accepted no issues. It could hurt you, I guess, if there are a bunch of good candidates that don't need it in your board, but then they might like the fact that you won't be clogging up the pipeline as you will have to get and recover from prk surgery (round a year).

But it doesn't matter at this point. If your package is ready then you just submit it and pray for the best. Best of luck.

Edit: also, if they give you the option, do lasik since it is now approved. Shorter recovery time, minimal pain/discomfort (prk patients vary on the pain they experience, but mine was an absolute bitch), and immediate improvement with vision (prk gets worse and then better as it heals).

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
PRK is no big deal. Lots of applicants get it before flight school and even some get it later in their career. If you need it, get it, just know the costs.

BigJeffray

Sans Remorse
pilot
Get the surgery, I got PRK two days after I recieved my Pro-Rec and I was Final Selected about a month ago, no big deal. Just be preprared to wait longer for your FS.

PRK is no big deal, but you have to stay on top of it and make sure that you have EVERYTHING documented. Search PRK on here. Plan on waiting 6 months after you have surgery before you can even go to MEPS. You can easily get a Pro-Rec with a good package, but you will be waiting a while for FS.

FlyMikeFly

Happiness is Vectored Thrust
pilot
Contributor
It might be blurry and hazy at first, but after a few weeks the waiver should look crystal clear. Awesome, and remember you can always fall back on being a backseater...if you're that kind of guy. Good luck.

JSF_Dreamer

Busted Head
When did Lasik get approved?

Unless I'm mistaken it was last year. Spoke a lot to the naval refractive surgery center in san diego while I was getting prk (2 years ago) and he said it was coming. Pretty sure there was a thread about some time back. Id search it for ya, but the only internet I have is my droid and, although convenient, it's slow.

Always research for yourself. Id call the center up and ask if it has been cleared for sure.

When did Lasik get approved?

I would not get lasik. PRK results are superior, but more than that I do not think it is waiverable. A guy in my OCS class (like 5 months ago) got NPQ'd because he had lasik and his recruiter told him it was waiverable. He's a SWO now. Don't take a chance like that.

will92

Yeah I was just curious. I don't think I'd even need anything (though I haven't had my eyes checked in a year or two). I was just curious since I remember the fears that the flap covering the cornea could come off in a high stress environment/situation.

Stalin

OK just an update and a little moral if you will:

I did an eye exam (at a real eye place) and I got 20/30 L 20/30 minus R. I feel pretty stupid for freaking out in vain (though I am relieved), but a moral to everyone: well, I think you can figure out the moral of this story. I hope everyone who is considering PRK and has that eating at them makes sure they have 20/50 or worse lol

guim13

The board shouldnt know that you need a PRK waiver. I got picked up, then was told I was npq, had the surgery, waited the 3 months, then it was another 2 or 3 months till I left for Navy OCS. Im SNA in the Marines now, (long story) and I still got my contract. ( that was in 08 though)

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
NAMI did a test of Lasik (the non-PRK one) last year. It was a trail thing. If the results end up well, it might be approved. In the meantime, PRK is still good to go.

Planeform

pilot
To go to board, you don't even need to have any of your medical stuff done yet, so the board really has no idea whether you need eye surgery or not...it doesn't go into the evaluation.