• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Holster Styles for the Sandbox

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
We're prepping for a deployment right now, and I was looking for feedback concerning holster styles for wear while on the ground. I've heard preferences expressed for both shoulder style as well as the thigh/leg styles, but was wondering what people's experiences have been. Strikes me that shoulder style might be more "standard", but that you'd have to take it off every time you went to take a dump while wearing a bag - and dropping the damn thing into the crapper is the stuff of nightmares. The thigh/leg style seems to minimize that a little bit, but it also seems that you have to wear a belt when you choose that style. (Or do you?)

Of course, there's also the "cool factor", and God knows we all want to maximize that. Any feedback much appreciated!

(BTW, any advice along the lines of "you also want to bring xxx" is welcome!)

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A shoulder rig would be more comfortable with a bag than a drop-leg. Any drop-leg is going to require a belt to support the weight of the gun. A typical shoulder rig will have the gun on the offhand side and a couple mags opposite. There are a ton of different makes/models, but cost will be the determining factor. You can find them from about $20 up.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What kind of a/c and what kind of deployment, one actually in the sand box or one on a CVN?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
FlyinSpy said:
We're prepping for a deployment right now, and I was looking for feedback concerning holster styles for wear while on the ground. I've heard preferences expressed for both shoulder style as well as the thigh/leg styles, but was wondering what people's experiences have been. Strikes me that shoulder style might be more "standard", but that you'd have to take it off every time you went to take a dump while wearing a bag - and dropping the damn thing into the crapper is the stuff of nightmares. The thigh/leg style seems to minimize that a little bit, but it also seems that you have to wear a belt when you choose that style. (Or do you?)

Of course, there's also the "cool factor", and God knows we all want to maximize that. Any feedback much appreciated!

Are you guys doing a gap fill for the Marines? I'm curious about how 209 is being used these days. Fill us in on all the details appropriate for this medium. You might also talk to some of the expeditionary guys who have been through Bagram to see what they were using.

Brett

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Are you guys doing a gap fill for the Marines? I'm curious about how 209 is being used these days. Fill us in on all the details appropriate for this medium. You might also talk to some of the expeditionary guys who have been through Bagram to see what they were using.

Given the degree of deep kimchi that senior elements of the Prowler community have gotten into recently for discussing too many operational details, I'm going to clam up on the when/where/why/what issue.

The question on holsters was not while airborne, but only while on the ground. I was out at DESERT TALON back in December, and heard mixed opinions from some of the Bagram guys concerning the holster issue. I may be fixated on #2 issues (childhood traumas....), but I have these visions of having to retrieve my weapon from the bottom of a well-used latrine. I've seen pics of guys with both rigs, and was wondering who preferred which and why.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
FlyinSpy said:
......The question on holsters was not while airborne, but only while on the ground. I was out at DESERT TALON back in December, and heard mixed opinions from some of the Bagram guys concerning the holster issue. I may be fixated on #2 issues (childhood traumas....), but I have these visions of having to retrieve my weapon from the bottom of a well-used latrine. I've seen pics of guys with both rigs, and was wondering who preferred which and why.

Having used both in military and civilian scenarios, and since you are not a dedicated trigger puller with harness and/or web gear to attach or support a belt (drop, hip, whatever you choose to call it) I would suggest:

Flight suit = shoulder holster

Ground job = shoulder holster

Wear only one type --- then your "memorized' muscle responses will be simplified if or when you have to access your handgun in a stressful situation. "Cool"??? If you're worried about that --- ask yourself: Why do the General Officers always favor a shoulder holster when they appear on camera ... ??? :icon_wink

Your #2 problem/fixation?? Take the holster off your shoulder and hang it around your neck while attending to business --- it ain't gonna fall in. But if it does --- at least you'll be right behind it to facilitate its retrieval. :)

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
FlyinSpy said:

First off, screw the "cool factor". If you need a sidearm, you're probably going to need it quickly, so you want the weapon to be easily accessible. For VBSS, I used the leg holster and DID NOT LIKE IT. If felt very awkward and if I had to move quickly, it always felt like the gun was not secure. With that said, that type of holster worked well for that purpose overall. When standing FPWO on the ship, I wore the sidearm for the 24 hours I had the watch. Sometimes I used the leg holster and sometimes I used the common waist holster the police use. Neither was real functional for that purpose so I had to make do. If I had to do it all over again, I would have purchased a shoulder holster so long as I was comfortable with the weapon's accessibility.

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
Fly,

The original design for the leg/drop holster was to facilitate transitioning from a malfunctioning primary weapon (rifle) to your life-saving secondary (pistol).

A properly adjusted and fitted drop-holster should ride right about where your shooting naturally drops along the side eof your leg...ensuring quick retreival (provided you have muscle memory going for you.)

The drop-holster is unconfortable and impractical to use for walking around Bagram, as it was designed for climbing and CQC tactics. Also, unless you purchase a good, molded plastic version, such as is made by Safariland (about $80) with a smooth, thumb operated safety bale, the usual Blackhawk nylon versions get destroyed by the desert environment and a semi-quick retrieval is near impossible.

For the average aviation usage, the shoulder rig is probably the best cross between usablility and practicality. It's not the fastest draw rig in existance, but it's not a pain to wear for 18 hours a day either. If you're worried about not having the weapon immediately accessible as with a drop holster, remember that if you're not on the range practicing your holster draws once a week, it doesn't matter what you wear, no muscle memory or law of primacy has been developed anyway.

Yes, drop-holsters look cool, but a good leather shoulder holster will probably serve you best. Keep the leg holster close though, in case they have another "Salsa" dancing night at the club on Bagram.

Probably far more than you ever cared to know about holsters...

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Just another thought. You may be having to wear body armor when outside. That means with a shoulder holster, you have to take it off every time you put on/remove the body armor when going in/out of buildings. Also, if you can get a set or 2 of DCU's, then hang the pistol on your belt.

My solution, get both.

T.M.Gray

Brett327 said:

Brett
The personnel attached are not at liberty to discuss the topic. "Navy News Stand" on the other hand, is free to tell the story. Check it out:
http://www.news.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=20549

T.M.Gray

Brett327 said:
Yeah, but that article was written postfactum and mentions nothing about 209.

Brett
1) No, the article was written as if the det was over. It isn't. VAQ 141 is still there.
2) I have no info on VAQ 209.