• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hernia?

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
Ok... so I finally had to break down and go see a doctor today. I hurt myself... in the groin region... while working out about a week ago. At the time I thought it was just a bad sprain, so I took a couple days off, then went for a run on Saturday. That was a poor choice. I took the first appointment they had on Monday.

Turns out the doc thinks I have a hernia and I have to go see a surgeon to get evaluated.

Anyone out there have this happen? How was the surgery? Any problems with the Navy as far as medical stuff went afterwards?

(Oh yeah... nothing like having to explain to some moderately attractive undergrad medical asst/intern that your boys hurt. That was almost as fun as the exam.)

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
pennst8 said:
(Oh yeah... nothing like having to explain to some moderately attractive undergrad medical asst/intern that your boys hurt. That was almost as fun as the exam.)
You should have just asked her to kiss them and make them feel better......:icon_smil

KBayDog

25928.jpg

pennst8

Contributor
Ok... laughing kind of hurts... but I posted this in the wrong forum if I didn't want jokes.

HAL - I didn't see a good opportunity to take a shot. She probably would have just kicked me in the affected region anyway.

katiegirl

SNA wife
It depends on the kind of hernia, but the surgery is quick, easy for the surgeon, and relatively painless. The guys I've seen who've had the surgery have all be back to business in 5-7days (no heavy lifting for 3-4weeks) and haven't complained about discomfort. This site has good explanations about the whole process: http://www.facs.org/public_info/operation/hernrep.pdf

Clearly I can't speak from personal experience, but of the patients I saw, the hernia guys had the shortest recoveries and least problems with pain after the surgery. Once repaired, it's rare for hernias to recur in the same place, and just because you've had one doesn't mean you're prone to get them. I didn't see any waivers for them on the NAMI pages, so hopefully the Navy sees it the same way and won't give you any grief about it.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was told I had a bilateral iguinal hernia (i.e. both sides) when I was about halfway through bootcamp. I had the hernia surgery the day after I got out of boot camp. Haven't had a problem since...knock on wood. I was only supposed to have to stay one night, but because I caught a cold, they kept me two nights. Let me tell you, having to cough after a surgery like that flat out sucks. You'll probably get 30 days of convelescent (sp?) leave. I didn't, but should have. They navy charged me all 30 days. I was too young and stupid to know any better. You also probably go on light duty for about 6 weeks...maybe more, maybe less. All in all, a good time. No it wasn't, just thought I'd say that to make you feel better.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
katiegirl said:
It depends on the kind of hernia, but the surgery is quick, easy for the surgeon, and relatively painless. The guys I've seen who've had the surgery have all be back to business in 5-7days (no heavy lifting for 3-4weeks) and haven't complained about discomfort. This site has good explanations about the whole process: http://www.facs.org/public_info/operation/hernrep.pdf
Wow, I really got screwed then, cause I hurt for awhile after mine.

katiegirl

SNA wife
Steve Wilkins said:
Wow, I really got screwed then, cause I hurt for awhile after mine.

perhaps they had better pain meds, the policy in the surgeon's office I referred to then did a big anti-inflamatory (800mg Motrin) in addition to percocet or vicodin and we had good results with that combo. Ice helps too (clearly not a whole bag, but if you have a bag with one ice cube in each corner, things can be arranged so that everything that needs ice gets it, and everything that doesn't stays toasty).

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
katiegirl said:

Clearly I can't speak from personal experience, but of the patients I saw, the hernia guys had the shortest recoveries and least problems with pain after the surgery. Once repaired, it's rare for hernias to recur in the same place, and just because you've had one doesn't mean you're prone to get them. I didn't see any waivers for them on the NAMI pages, so hopefully the Navy sees it the same way and won't give you any grief about it.

5-7 days...are you kidding.

In January of last year I had Bronchitis, first time for that. Coughed so much (read that professional coughing) I got a free hernia out of it. Hernia was not painful, but felt like something oil canning in the groin area..you know like the bottom of an old style oil can moving back and forth. Saw the Doc...yup, a hernia.

I had to wait until March 4th for surgery and that was on a rush schedule as I had overseas orders.

Pre-op appointments at Bethesda were fine. Check in, get shaved, get ready. Let me tell you, the mind controls it all, and when you are nervous, there is no read that no pleasure in having a female shave you for surgery. Not fun awaiting the "procedure."

Surgery goes okay. After I wake up I'm told they in addition to the hernia repair, they found a non-cancerous tumor on my pelvis (a lipoma) so they decided to scrape my pelvis to the bone to remove it. What am I supposed to say as I sit there on morphine doped up...."yeah whatever, sound great."

As I had Bronchitis a couple of months prior, they did an epidural for my procedure. I must have needed a lot of numbing juice ( my words) as it took 12 hours for the sensation in my feet to come back. I ended up staying an extra night.

I was supposed to check in at 0600 and be discharged at 1800.
Ended up in at 0600 out at 0800 the next morning.

Recovery...holy crap. Without a doubt the most painful thing I've ever felt. Not a kicked in the groin pain, but deep down torn muscle red hot branding iron pain. And not for a few days...I was still hurting after 2 weeks. Of course my pain medication ran out after 4 days and my follow up was not until 2 weeks post op. Ask for it if you need it before you leave the hospital.

Moved slowly like an old man (real old like A4s) for two weeks. Had to sleep on a very low bed. I'm telling you this sucked. Maybe it was just me. Then again...

Good luck....:eek:

pennst8

Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
All in all, a good time. No it wasn't, just thought I'd say that to make you feel better.

Thanks Steve and everyone else for the replies.

I'm looking forward to getting cut as much as I looked forward to going to see the doctor.

I asked one of my advisors what the deal was on medicinal marajuana... but apparently the Navy only allows it if you have glaucoma. Weak.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Schnugg said:
5-7 days...are you kidding.
That's what I'm sayin'

Schnugg said:
Moved slowly like an old man (real old like A4s) for two weeks. Had to sleep on a very low bed. I'm telling you this sucked. Maybe it was just me. Then again...
No it wasn't just you. I forgot to say I went home to CA for the 30 days of con leave. Well, my room was upstairs on the second floor. One morning, I awoke to the house shaking violently. I had to hop, skip, and jump my way down the stairs and outside the house to safety. Man o man that sucked!