• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Greenie boards??? Does this one reflect a current board and setup???

Citation3

I'm starting some research for my next project. Can anyone tell me if this Greenie board reflects current Greenie boards in use? Are the same symbols in use here the same ones still in use Today?

Does anyone have any current pictres of Greenie boards that would reflect current use? The board I would be intersted in seeing would be from 2000 and forward.

greenieboard.jpg

I have searched Google images and this one is the only one that shows up.

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They're used in each Ready Room so the one you found is exception, not the rule (ie doesn't need billets, full names or have multiple type aircraft). Needs to simply have callsigns in order of seniority and rows for placing symbols for each pass.

3200825338_d2acba3c37.jpg

USN-Greenie-Board.jpg

Citation3

HJ...As usual thank you for schooling me.

In the book "Anytime Baby" you gave me, there is a picture of a Greenie board. Is it safe to assume that a square cut diagonally and filled w/Black or a corner marked black represents a night trap same as a black circle as shown on the image I posted?

Again, thanks for your time and help.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HJ...As usual thank you for schooling me.

In the book "Anytime Baby" you gave me, there is a picture of a Greenie board. Is it safe to assume that a square cut diagonally and filled w/Black or a corner marked black represents a night trap same as a black circle as shown on the image I posted?

Again, thanks for your time and help.

Each Ready Room came up with theor own variations, but you can see in your example and the VF-33 that they used a black circle to indicate a night trap. Still wondering why Co and XO in your example each got "Cut" passes! :eek:

phrogpilot73

Each Ready Room came up with theor own variations, but you can see in your example and the VF-33 that they used a black circle to indicate a night trap. Still wondering why Co and XO in your example each got "Cut" passes! :eek:
Maybe I read it wrong, but blue indicated both bolter and cut passes. Cut passes were blue with a C, so I though the CO and XO both had bolters at night.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Maybe I read it wrong, but blue indicated both bolter and cut passes. Cut passes were blue with a C, so I though the CO and XO both had bolters at night.

My bad, reading without glasses. Now, that makes much more sense!

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The VRC-30 greenie board uses beer bottle caps for the type of passes. Not only do you have to fly, but you have to drink!

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The VRC-30 greenie board uses beer bottle caps for the type of passes. Not only do you have to fly, but you have to drink!

Not that there's anything wrong with that!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
maybe i read it wrong, but blue indicated both bolter and cut passes. Cut passes were blue with a c, so i though the co and xo both had bolters at night.
No blue ... nothing was in 'blue', save our dress uni's ...

An O.K. pass was 'green' ... thus the term: GREENIE BOARD

A FAIR pass was 'orange' ... fleet average.
NO GRADE PASSES were in 'white' w/ a " - " to signify 'nothing', you ain't shit, i.e., NO GRADE ... same for BOLTER as it equated to the same 'grade'. Not 'hook-skip' BOLTERS ... just Pilot-o induced ones ... a good LSO knows the diff ... :icon_wink

A CUT PASS was in RED to signify 'UNSAFE, DANGEROUS VARIATIONS ABOUT THE GLIDESLOPE INSIDE THE WAVE-OFF POINT' ... therefore ... 'dangerous'

I did an 'original' GREENIE BOARD for every line period complete w/ original 'artwork' ... who wants to be BORING like everyone else??? I wish I'd photo'd a couple of 'em for posterity as they were good & artwork, personified. I have one .jpg on another computer that I'll try to get and post on this thread ... for an example of a 'correct' and 'real' GREENIE BOARD. Even though it's not ... 'current' ... and not one of 'mine'. :)

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No blue ... nothing was in 'blue', save our dress uni's ...

An O.K. pass was 'green' ... thus the term: GREENIE BOARD

A FAIR pass was 'orange' ... fleet average.
NO GRADE PASSES were in 'white' w/ a " - " to signify 'nothing', you ain't shit, i.e., NO GRADE ... same for BOLTER as it equated to the same 'grade'. Not 'hook-skip' BOLTERS ... just Pilot-o induced ones ... a good LSO knows the diff ... :icon_wink

A CUT PASS was in RED to signify 'UNSAFE, DANGEROUS VARIATIONS ABOUT THE GLIDESLOPE INSIDE THE WAVE-OFF POINT' ... therefore ... 'dangerous'

I did an 'original' GREENIE BOARD for every line period complete w/ original 'artwork' ... who wants to be BORING like everyone else??? I wish I'd photo'd a couple of 'em for posterity as they were good & artwork, personified. I have one .jpg on another computer that I'll try to get and post on this thread ... for an example of a 'correct' and 'real' GREENIE BOARD. Even though it's not ... 'current' ... and not one of 'mine'. :)

In our Squadron, NO GRADE passes were BROWN, aka SH*T Stain.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As I recall, we did it thusly:

Gold = OK
Green = OK
Yellow = Fair
Red = No-grade
Brown = Cut
White = FDWO

With annotations to indicate night, MOVLAS, etc.

The OK chips were metallic gold. Only ever saw one of those on the board - guy brought it aboard single-engine, night, 140% NAG humidity and no wind = trap or go swimming. On rails the whole way and caught an easy 3.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Here's another 'GREENIE BOARD' ... a pretty basic one w/ no 'artwork' for the VA-46 'CLANSMEN' flyin' A-4E's in the late '60s ... the colors are similar to what I described earlier (green, orange, etc., although somewhat washed out in this example) and the LSO's appear to put most of the comments on the actual 'pass', which was usually NOT done on the GREENIE BOARD in my experience and I certainly never did it -- too much non-essential information posted in the front of the Ready Room which usually meant nothing to most people ...

Note that most ATTACK pilots used 'surnames' back then -- not 'nicknames' nor 'callsigns' ... I used 'nicknames' on our boards which in some cases I had to make up and/or initiate. In an ATTACK 'Ron in those days, most pilots did not have a 'callsign' like 'that movie' made everyone think and even if they had a 'nickname, it did not always equate to an airborne 'callsign', as most ATTACK Bubbas did NOT have nor use airborne 'callsigns' ... that was more the purview of FIGHTER Pukes ... :)

I'd always make up TREND ANALYSIS (TA) sheets at the end of every line period -- it was much more valuable than the GREENIE BOARD (which was usually for bragging rights and/or public humiliation) and the TAs actually served as a 'teaching tool' for most pilots. I had to do 'em longhand -- no computers back then except for NAV and bombin' ... :) ... and the arrival of the TAs were usually a SRO event at the Pilots' mailboxes as they waited for the next increment. It took a couple of days to do 'em all ... while enroute to CUBI, my usual at sea routine was eat/sleep/do TA sheets ... :sleep_125

va46greenieweb1.jpg