• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Got denied for Depth Perception

Aceleo

SNA
I applied for a Pilot slot for the Air Force but I did not get one. Instead, I was offered a CSO/Navigator(NFO) slot for the Air Force. I was really happy to get that however deep inside I really wanted to be a Pilot. So I started my Navy SNA application process.
During the process, I found out that the reason I got denied for AF Pilot was that I failed my depth perception at MEPS. And the Navy would also not take in my application for Pilot because of that. I failed my depth perception because I did not wear my glasses. I was not aware that I was supposed to. I thought they wanted to check how well my eyes are without glasses and let me do another test with glasses. Also, my eyes are perfectly fine without glasses anyways so I figured I will be good. But of course I was wrong and I failed.

So during my Navy application process, my recruiter send a written request to my local MEPS to let me test my eyes again, this time with glasses. They denied the request. So I went to a civilian doctor to check my eyes for depth perception. I passed the test like it was nothing. It was so easy for me to pass it with my glasses on.
Therefore I took the report and had it sent over to N3M for evaluation. After one and a half week, they got back to me today saying that they won't take civilian doc reports and I need to go MEPS or a military doc.

But my recruiter said that MEPS already denied my request and they wouldn't take me in again. And also, in order to go to a military doc, I need to be active duty first. I pleaded that my eyes are fine since I really do have good depth perception and I deserve another chance at MEPS. But nope, apparently, once I get denied, I cannot go in again.

Can some please tell me if there is anything I can do? Like anything? I know for a fact that my eyes are fine, I do have good ASTB scores 56 7/7/6. The only thing I need is a way to show the Navy that my eyes are in fact good.

Please tell me that I can still pursue my dreams :(

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I applied for a Pilot slot for the Air Force but I did not get one. Instead, I was offered a CSO/Navigator(NFO) slot for the Air Force. I was really happy to get that however deep inside I really wanted to be a Pilot. So I started my Navy SNA application process.
During the process, I found out that the reason I got denied for AF Pilot was that I failed my depth perception at MEPS. And the Navy would also not take in my application for Pilot because of that. I failed my depth perception because I did not wear my glasses. I was not aware that I was supposed to. I thought they wanted to check how well my eyes are without glasses and let me do another test with glasses. Also, my eyes are perfectly fine without glasses anyways so I figured I will be good. But of course I was wrong and I failed.

So during my Navy application process, my recruiter send a written request to my local MEPS to let me test my eyes again, this time with glasses. They denied the request. So I went to a civilian doctor to check my eyes for depth perception. I passed the test like it was nothing. It was so easy for me to pass it with my glasses on.
Therefore I took the report and had it sent over to N3M for evaluation. After one and a half week, they got back to me today saying that they won't take civilian doc reports and I need to go MEPS or a military doc.

But my recruiter said that MEPS already denied my request and they wouldn't take me in again. And also, in order to go to a military doc, I need to be active duty first. I pleaded that my eyes are fine since I really do have good depth perception and I deserve another chance at MEPS. But nope, apparently, once I get denied, I cannot go in again.

Can some please tell me if there is anything I can do? Like anything? I know for a fact that my eyes are fine, I do have good ASTB scores 56 7/7/6. The only thing I need is a way to show the Navy that my eyes are in fact good.

We had this talk about what... 3 weeks ago and you didn’t listen to me. You need to pass the MEPS depth perception test in order to qualify for Pilot.

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

Is your vision really perfectly fine without glasses? It seems like the glasses make a difference with your depth perception. What did the Air Force disqualify you for?

It's absolutely a real bummer you got denied for being a Pilot, but I can't tell you how many SWOs have told me the same thing over and over they couldn't be a Pilot or NFO and had to become a SWO. Some practically nonexistent sinus issue, something with the fingers, etc. it's like they'll get you for almost anything. Date a SWO who got physically disqualified from aviation and you'll never hear the end of it! :rolleyes:

With that said, it's good to remember about being an officer first, and on top of that I don't see anything wrong with being a CSO or NFO. Keep in mind tons of naval aviation hopefuls (both pilot and NFO) end up being relegated to SWO. Getting selected for CSO in the Air Force is a big deal, and just IMO you should strongly consider your options there.

If the Navy and Air Force are adamant and you absolutely want to be a pilot, there's always the Army (if you're okay with helicopters) and Marine Corps.

Edit: Keep in mind you need to get commissioned by 27 and considering you have about a year's time, if you were to get this all sorted out as you want and get selected in the next board, it's cutting it close. It's dependent on how long it takes for results to go out, when you can get an OCS class date, etc. This back-and-forth you and your OR are doing is only delaying that further.

Last edited by a moderator:

exNavyOffRec

I would be suspect on your uncorrected vision if you needed glasses for DP

Aceleo

SNA
That's what I was thinking. If you fail DP because you don't have glasses, your vision probably isn't 20/40.
I failed DP because I did not have glasses. I have 20/30 vision in one eye and 20/20 vision in another. So the glasses helped me with depth perception at the doctor's office. i checked with and without glasses. I was able to tell about 90% of the depth perception circles, and with glasses I could tell all of them.

So if I did get another chance to do the MEPS DP test WITH my glasses, I think there is a very good chance I will pass it. Except that they do not want to test me again.

For the AF, I think the DP was a main reason for which I did not get the Pilot slot. And no I did not burn any bridges with AF regarding my CSO selection. I was just trying to see if Navy helps get me a Pilot slot. That's when I found out that I could possibly pass the DP test at MEPS with prescription glasses.

Aceleo

SNA
We had this talk about what... 3 weeks ago and you didn’t listen to me. You need to pass the MEPS depth perception test in order to qualify for Pilot.
Is there any way I could get another try for DP at MEPS. Now that I have prescription glasses, they should look at my eyes once more right?

peppergunner

ɹǝqɯǝW pǝʇɹǝʌuI
At MEPS don't you check off which service to send your records to? If you failed DP at MEPS for AF, why does the Navy know about it? Or am I misunderstanding the medical process.

Aceleo

SNA
At MEPS don't you check off which service to send your records to? If you failed DP at MEPS for AF, why does the Navy know about it? Or am I misunderstanding the medical process.
I think Navy gets the whole report. They never asked me to "check off" or anything like that.

peppergunner

ɹǝqɯǝW pǝʇɹǝʌuI
I think Navy gets the whole report. They never asked me to "check off" or anything like that.
In MEPS (as of a month ago to my knowledge) while you are filling out your sheets (the portion of time where you're asked to correct any discrepancies) there is a check box for branches of service you would like your results delivered to. I had previously talked with AF recruiters and that section was automatically filled along with the Navy.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
In MEPS (as of a month ago to my knowledge) while you are filling out your sheets (the portion of time where you're asked to correct any discrepancies) there is a check box for branches of service you would like your results delivered to. I had previously talked with AF recruiters and that section was automatically filled along with the Navy.

MEPS doesn't "send" physical paperwork out. Additionally, an applicant can only physical under one service branch. If an applicant did a physical under Air Force but now wants to go Navy, the Navy Recruiter would request custody of that MEPS record. Happens somewhat often..

andrewt

I can confirm what Rufio said.
Is there any way I could get another try for DP at MEPS. Now that I have prescription glasses, they should look at my eyes once more right?
The Tampa MEPS I went to was unwilling to do eye rechecks unless something quantifiable had changed, such as getting a new glasses prescription. It should help you to be at 20/20 for the test. And dont let them dilate you or anything before DP.

Now go bother your recruiter about it because no one on here is going to be able to get you back into MEPS.

Aceleo

SNA
I can confirm what Rufio said.

The Tampa MEPS I went to was unwilling to do eye rechecks unless something quantifiable had changed, such as getting a new glasses prescription. It should help you to be at 20/20 for the test. And dont let them dilate you or anything before DP.

Now go bother your recruiter about it because no one on here is going to be able to get you back into MEPS.
I did try every avenue. The fact that I did not use my glasses at MEPS just cost me my dreams of ever being a military pilot.