• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Glock Love

OldNavy

I'm considering purchasing my first Glock for personal defense.

I'm getting too old and gimpy to schlep around a stainless 1911 Commander (38oz loaded)

Looking at the Gen 3 Glock 26.

Anyone here carry one, and if so what are your thoughts?

I live in Orlando, and when I'm not at work (can't carry there), the uniform of the day is shorts and t-shirts.

CAMike

None
Contributor
G27 and Kahr PM9 go really well in a SmartCarry holster. I carry those in the SmartCarry holster wearing flannel gym shorts and T-Shirt on bike rides. I think the G26 is a fine SDW and its 10 round capacity IMO makes it just a perfect for any occasion. Oh yeah, I live in a Free County in CA where simple "Self Defense" is enough of a "good cause". There are a lot of AW's here that carry concealed.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
I bought a G23 after firing both the G23 and the G27. I did not like shooting with the shorter grip. But, I ended up hardly ever carrying it because I live in Florida, wear cheap shorts or swim suits a lot and the G23 just didn't work out like I wanted. Also, my needs and work environment changed a bit since I bought the G23. However, I don't think the G27 would have either.

I recently bought a S & W M&P Shield 40. It is the exact same size as the 9mm version of the same gun. Other than the pain in the a-- of loading the single stack magazine, it shoots as well as my G23 and is more concealable than the G27. When is Glock going to build a single stack?

Rockriver

pilot
Glocks are fine. I have a 19 which has served me well for many years. At times I feel it is a bit too big to tote around IWB (but nothing like a 1911) and have considered getting a smaller 9mm. I rented and fired a Glock 43 and Sig Sauer P938 and found both predictably snappy, easier to carry but just not as much fun to shoot.

Pags

N/A
pilot
G27 and Kahr PM9 go really well in a SmartCarry holster. I carry those in the SmartCarry holster wearing flannel gym shorts and T-Shirt on bike rides. I think the G26 is a fine SDW and its 10 round capacity IMO makes it just a perfect for any occasion. Oh yeah, I live in a Free County in CA where simple "Self Defense" is enough of a "good cause". There are a lot of AW's here that carry concealed.
Flannel gym shorts?

CAMike

None
Contributor
Ok. As in sweats as in shorts with a drawstring around the waist. Cotton/Flannel whatever material it is. Smartcarry's really do hide firearms well is what I'm saying. Could I put a Commander size 45 in it? Yes, I did that a couple of times but I felt like a whole street ensemble with .45 over the private parts wasn't a good vibe for me. It just didn't feel right.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Ok. As in sweats as in shorts with a drawstring around the waist. Cotton/Flannel whatever material it is. Smartcarry's really do hide firearms well is what I'm saying. Could I put a Commander size 45 in it? Yes, I did that a couple of times but I felt like a whole street ensemble with .45 over the private parts wasn't a good vibe for me. It just didn't feel right.
So "what size firearm I keep in my shorts" is a euphemism, right? Just trying to keep up.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I have a Glock 19 gen 4. It's great. No downsides found yet.

For conceal carry, I prefer the smaller size of my Walther PPK .380. But I now live in a state that doesn't allow carry, so it's a moot point.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Glock 42/43 anyone?

050415_D7C_7450a.jpg

Duc'-guy25

pilot
Do you guys keep a round chambered when you carry your Glocks? I'm still paranoid on the trigger snagging on something without having a safety.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Do you guys keep a round chambered when you carry your Glocks? I'm still paranoid on the trigger snagging on something without having a safety.

A modern holster 100% mitigates the danger of this risk. I, personally will not carry a loaded pistol unholstered where the trigger is not fully enclosed in a guarded barrier of some kind. Modern Kydex or leather holsters or even one of these devices:

vg2-8__25356.1386475552.1280.1280.jpg

Rockriver

pilot
I have always carried my G19 with a round chambered, but I also have trained extensively with it. Keep your finger off the trigger until ready to pull it, and keep it holstered with the trigger covered at all other times. If you are carrying it in an IWB holster, use extra care in reholstering as loose clothing has been known to interfere. I've never have an accidental or a negligent discharge, but then again I've never had a gear up landing. (Almost had a bolter once! :D)

I like my Glock not because it's the best gun out there, but simply because I've had it for a long, long time and I am very comfortable with it. You said you previously carried a 1911. If you liked that style, you owe it to yourself to check out that Sig Sauer P938.

Train, train, train. Dry firing from a holster in your garage is free and develops/reinforces proper technique.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I think your carry condition should reflect your individual comfort/training level, as well as the external environment/scenario.

OldNavy

Glock 42/43 anyone?

050415_D7C_7450a.jpg

A guy in my office let me play with his Glock 42 .380 for the weekend. I took it to the range today and ran 50 rounds through it.

It's slightly bigger and heavier than my EDC, a Ruger LCP .380, so slightly less felt recoil and not as "snappy".

I was impressed with the sights on the Glock, compared to the Ruger, which are pretty much non-existent.

Still leaning towards the 26 however.

OldNavy

I would up getting the Glock 26 as a Christmas present to myself.

Got a pretty good deal from a LGS in Orlando. The price with tax was comparable to what I would have paid
from Bud's Gun Shop on line if you factor in the transfer fee.

Made a couple of minor mods.

I added the +2 magazine extension, not so much for the extra rounds but to have some place to
park my pinky. I still load the mag to 10 rounds +1 in the chamber.

I added an extended mag release button. I have Trump like hands, so I was not able to actuate the OEM release with my thumb. The extension allows for a quick mag drop.

I also added an extended stainless steel slide lock. It's only about 1/8" longer than the stock lock, but it makes
removing the slide 1000% easier.