• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Getting into Flight Training?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikeman02

ok, I am getting the impression that being selected for flight training is very competitive. Is it really hard? Do I have to do above average on AVASAB test? If I do poorly, can they turn me down so that I never get the chance to go? If any body has any suggestions that they could share I would really app. This means alot, cuz this is a major dream in my life, so I just want to prepare a little ahead of time...thanx,

Mike-

ghost_ttu

do a little research, there is plenty out there on the requirements to becoming a pilot. I will say the two big ones for the navy right now are a 4 year degree with a 2.5 gpa, meet the minimums on the ASTB (this is the officer test, you don't take the ASVAB for officer consideration.) I think the rest you can look up, if you'll do a search you will find most of it, if not all of it on this site. But doing the research will get you much more informed than having someone try to just take a swing at that one, you will pick up a lot of extra useful information in your searching. Best of luck.

Mark

A little luck and prayer don't hurt either. They're really looking at the "whole person" concept. I'm not Captain America, but I'm not a dirt bag either. Solid, dependable performance throughout your prior career and good test scores, combined with a solid interview process gets people in the door. Don't forget the things that you don't think they would look for (i.e. Eagle Scout, volunteer at church, all around Great Guy, etc.), most importantly-Don't give up!

Dave Shutter

Not giving up is the important thing when your looking at a tough selection year, which this one seems to be. When I first talked to a recruiter the slots for that year were gone and I had to wait 10 months before we did anything. If you want it you may have to wait too. If your done with college then don't lose sleep over your transcript. Good or bad, you can't change it now. Focus on the things you can still affect; get the best scores possible on the ASTB (if your initial scores are "just passing", take it again!) and your PT test, and put your best foot forward on your letters, app., and so on. That's really all you can do. If you get shot down by the board you can always re-submit, and whatever you do don't let your recruiters shove you off in a job you don't want. It's your career! I spent the afternoon with one of my OCS buddies, listening to him tell me how a recruiter told him he had to do 2 years enlisted before he was eligible for OCS, and he did it! Just an example of how low they can get. Best of luck.

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 07/14/2002 21:21:40

frogggystyle

A little background on me before I start trying to give advice. I am not smart, but I am tenacious and driven. I had a very average GPA, but I have good monkey skills. My collage degree is in psychology, so don't think you need a degree in mechanical engineering to get through this. They stress that at the very beginning of API - that the course is geared towards the liberal arts type people so that everyone can understand the concepts. You just have to apply yourself and study the material. Trust me, this isn't stuff you can gaff off and think that you can slide by in. You gotta know this stuff, there is no way around it.

As far as who they are selecting right now... They need pilots. Pilots right now are classing up the very next week after they report to API. On the other hand, NFOs are having to wait anywhere between 3-5 months. (NFOs graduating OCS right now are going to class up some time after October.) I know a bit about this stuff because I worked in Student Control for 4 months before I classed up. (I'm an SNFO.)

If you have not taken your ASTB (or OAR) then I suggest getting some study material. If you do not score high enough on a certain aspect of the test, you will be disqualified to be a pilot (or an NFO depending on the section) until you can retake the test and score higher scores.

Here is a page I made to help people along with there OCS packages -

http://www.geocities.com/frogggystyle/hobbies/ocs.html

At the botton there are some helpful links. One of them will be a link to a company that sells study guide material for the ASTB/OAR. The one I bought was the Military Flight Aptitude Tests book and it really helped.

Right now they need people, so don't worry about the compeition...just worry about being physically qualified. I had the same dream you are having right now. All I ever wanted to be was in aviator. Don't wait too late or your eyesight can be a disqualifying factor (like it was for me to be a pilot). Press forward, never give up...and don't let anyone tell you no...unless they tell you three times and the last guy has more than a few bars of gold on his sleeve. hehe Eyesight is a *huge* issue. You have to have 20/40 uncorrected in each eye, less than a -1.00 diaoptic if you have an astigmatism, and not have had any vision corrective surgery (PRK, etc.) or you will automaticall be disqualified. That is for Pilot. NFO is more lenient.

Good luck!

tomoast

This is in response to FROGGYSTYLE. The Navy is accepting PRK for pilots..... i just had the surgery 2 1/2 months ago. i have to wait until 3 months before i can apply into a PRK study program for Pilot's. I did a lot of research and even spoke to the Dr. in charge of the program at NOMI.
Here is a link to the program. I think there is also a link from the Navy SEALS web page, and a link from www.BUPERS.com (????)

http://navymedicine.med.navy.mil/PRK/refractive_surgery_information.htm

tomoast

This is in response to FROGGYSTYLE. The Navy is accepting PRK for pilots..... i just had the surgery 2 1/2 months ago. i have to wait until 3 months before i can apply into a PRK study program for Pilot's. I did a lot of research and even spoke to the Dr. in charge of the program at NOMI.
Here is a link to the program. I think there is also a link from the Navy SEALS web page, and a link from www.BUPERS.com (????)

http://navymedicine.med.navy.mil/PRK/refractive_surgery_information.htm

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
My flight instructor last night told me that I was the third student he's flown with recently that has had PRK. The numbers are increasing daily. That being said, I wonder if competition will be increased in the near future because more people are qualified that otherwise would not have been. Or perhaps we will run low on flight officers and they will make the pilot selections even tougher.

Hartman

kmac, I agree with you completely. As the Navy becomes more comfortable with PRK (or possibly other forms of surgery), the pilot applicant pool is going to become more competitive and qualified. I hope your training is going well. Kick some ass for the PRK guys!

Birdman

How does one go about getting the surgery ? Do you just have it done before you try to go in or what?

FlyFast

I'll give a big and quick HELL YA for the PRK. Try the Laser Vision Instutite, they have doctors and surgeons nationwide. My result is great.........Patrick

frogggystyle

It's good to see they are letting people come into the program with PRK. My right eye is 20/40 and my left is 20/20...but I was told by the Optometrist at NOMI here in Pensacola during my flight physical that having PRK done prior to applying for pilot is an instant disqualifier. Of course, this was in November...so perhaps things have changed since then.

By all means, don't let anyone tell you that you can't do something. Try every avenue you can to get what you want. I am telling you what happened based on my own personal experiences...so I am not wrong. Your info just might be more updated and the instructions for PRK might have just recently been updated. I doubt the Optometrist (the very person that determines whether or not you are visually qualified to be a pilot or not) would lead me astray.

Hopefully this new PRK instruction will allow future pilots to come into the program whereas they would not have been qualified before. I know a lot fo hard chargers (myself included) that would have slain a small village people, given up both testicles, a kidney, and a lung just to be a pilot vice an NFO if it wasn't for the eyesight issue.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The instruction came out in December of 2000. I had PRK in January 2001. Three months later I put in my waiver and heard back on July 6th. At that point I was able to swith from SNFO to SNA as my designator. It was then in mid-September when my waiver actually made it to Naval Aviation Schools Command (I was in OCS then).

Status
Not open for further replies.