• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY-15 ADHSB

Pap

Naval Aviator
pilot
Interesting, did some of the VFA guys who were passed over for LCDR on their first look get selected for DH?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why twice as many VAQ 1320's?

Partly because the community is still in transition and the ratio of 1310 to 1320 still favors the NFOs. I don't know where the numbers stand these days, but the BL is that there are just more VAQ 1320s in the talent pool. That will even out over time once the transition is complete.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Really? I thought you had to have been selected for O-4 to be in the running for DH.
FWIW, I know of several folks that screened for O5 command this year that didn't make O5 for one reason or another.

Pags

N/A
pilot
FWIW, I know of several folks that screened for O5 command this year that didn't make O5 for one reason or another.
Interesting. I had always thought making rank at the statutory board was a requirement for consideration at the admin board. How will it work out for for the folks who screened DH and then 2xFOS at their AZ look? Is PERS-43 hoping that being a screened DH will be a forcing function for the statutory board?

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I will also say interesting as if you consider percentage wise it's harder to make DH/CO than O-4/O-5. I'm also looking forward to the lessons learned in terms of stats for this year's board after looking at the VP results. I really wish they would break the trends down by community on those briefs.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I will also say interesting as if you consider percentage wise it's harder to make DH/CO than O-4/O-5. I'm also looking forward to the lessons learned in terms of stats for this year's board after looking at the VP results. I really wish they would break the trends down by community on those briefs.
Not sure of VP's stats but RW's O-4 selection rate has been ~60% the past two years. That's far lower than the DH selection rate traditionally is.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Partly because the community is still in transition and the ratio of 1310 to 1320 still favors the NFOs. I don't know where the numbers stand these days, but the BL is that there are just more VAQ 1320s in the talent pool. That will even out over time once the transition is complete.

Sort of and not really. The bigger issue is that this is the first year (in a while) to reflect another 1310 exodus to the airlines. The FAA age change, as we all knew at the time, was going to take a few years to show itself within the ranks - that time is now. The number of actual bodies to fill DH spots is pretty fixed year to year. When you have so few 1310s,
four dudes to fill thirteen 1310 DH seats
...it makes sense that you would see a lot more 1320s selected.

The VAQ community has some SERIOUS 1310 manning problems to address over the next 3-5 years. I suspect the same is true for VFA - I just don't know it to be fact.

ben4prez

pilot
Interesting. I had always thought making rank at the statutory board was a requirement for consideration at the admin board. How will it work out for for the folks who screened DH and then 2xFOS at their AZ look? Is PERS-43 hoping that being a screened DH will be a forcing function for the statutory board?

As I understand it, the O-4 board occurred a few months ago, while the DH board started and finished last week. As you all know, it takes a while for the statuatory board results to make their way through the system, culminating in Senate Confirmation -- although they announce the results once SECNAV or SECDEF (can't remember) sign off on them.

I would imagine that anybody selected for the administrative DH board that hadn't "officially" screened for O-4 last year is sitting on a list in someones office waiting for a signature, and will put on O-4 in FY15.

Interesting stats to note about this years board compared to last years:

54 VFA 1310s screened OP this year (for FY15)
12 VFA 1320s screened OP this year (for FY15)
ZERO VFA screened OP-T this year (for FY15)

72 VFA 1310s screened OP last year (for FY14)
15 VFA 1320s screened OP last year (for FY14)
1 VFA 1310 screened OP-T last year (for FY14)

I also know that a few of those in the 54 from this year are also planning to resign -- there was no OPT-in to the DH screen board this year, so everyone regardless of intentions, was eligible to be selected.

I'll let y'all parse through the number and draw your own conclusions...referencing previous retention discussions. I don't know if they selected fewer folks this year...or had fewer folks to choose from. Nor do I know how many people actually are needed each FY to fill the required billets. But selecting 20 percent fewer one year over the previous is telling...even if I dont know what its telling!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sort of and not really. The bigger issue is that this is the first year (in a while) to reflect another 1310 exodus to the airlines. The FAA age change, as we all knew at the time, was going to take a few years to show itself within the ranks - that time is now. The number of actual bodies to fill DH spots is pretty fixed year to year. When you have so few 1310s,

...it makes sense that you would see a lot more 1320s selected.

The VAQ community has some SERIOUS 1310 manning problems to address over the next 3-5 years. I suspect the same is true for VFA - I just don't know it to be fact.
I don't have any stats to back up the exodus theory (which I don't necessarily discount), but I'd love to see them if you do.