• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flying the C-37A?

SamAca10

Anyone know the career path to get into the Coast Guard's GV's? I'm assuming you'd have to at least be fixed wing and a good performer

Brunes

pilot
There is only one Air Station that flies those and it's usually more of a tour, two if you are lucky, not really a "career." I'm not sure what the requirements to be considered for the job is, but I know there is a screening process and it is highly sought after.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
The 6 pilots I've known that have flown the Commandant's plane(s) have all been fixed wing - four went their second flying tour and the other two went their third flying tour. It is based on luck, timing and solid performance.
A pilot I knew from my Sacramento was just picked up...dunno if he had it on his dream sheet, but the detailer's called the OPS boss in Sacto, asked for a good pilot who could crush special projects and his name was put out.

I'm sure it's a fun job, and both planes are beautiful, but for me as a second tour pilot and new AC, I felt I should be honing my SAR skills and doing the king's bizness. More power to those that opt to teach at ATC Mobile or Milton, but I wanted to know everything I could about doing SAR, LE, and logistics, and do A LOT of missions on my second tour. Third tour? Yeah, it would be fun (except for flying in trops).

CoastieFlyer

Box Lunch Connoisseur
pilot
Yea, like Herc said...it's all about timing and often who you know. From a flying perspective, it takes you out of the operational picture but sets you up for some sweet corporate flying jobs on the outside and looks great on a resume. I've known a lot of people that did it as second/third tours and then (almost all of them) went to non-flying staff jobs.

Although its easy to point out the negatives of the tour, I don't know a single person who turned down the opportunity to go. The international trips the unit takes is unmatched for the Coast Guard and the high profile of the position makes it highly desirable.

Just my 2 cents.