• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight MH17

jmcquate

Contributor
Appears it was downed by an SA-17. Things will get out of hand. I have a bad feeling about this one. Someone is flinging SAMs willy-nilly (have my thoughts on who).

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
The leader of the Russian resistance in Ukraine claimed to have downed an AN-26 in the same area right before the official announcement of the loss of the Malaysia flight. This does not bode well for relations. Looks like someone shot the wrong target. http://en.itar-tass.com/world/741164
Especially since Russia has supposedly taken control of the crash site.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The leader of the Russian resistance in Ukraine claimed to have downed an AN-26 in the same area right before the official announcement of the loss of the Malaysia flight. This does not bode well for relations. Looks like someone shot the wrong target. http://en.itar-tass.com/world/741164
Especially since Russia has supposedly taken control of the crash site.
That's being questioned. That said, all parties have Gadfly/Grizzly since the rebels got one. Some IO guy has got to be licking his chops. What a mess.

Edit: and now the CSM links to their own article on the Vincennes incident by claiming that that flight was shot down by a US Tomcat!

http://m.csmonitor.com/USA/Foreign-...ing-Will-it-change-course-of-Ukraine-conflict

This is journalism in 2014. Jesus wept.

Last edited:

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
So what. Putin is a narcissistic wanne-be Czar. He will shape this event to his liking and won't give a damn what the rest of the world thinks because he thinks we won't do anything about it.

And he's right.

Pray tell, what should have been done after the initial invasion, and what should be done now? I hear this sentiment by a lot of people in the media who should be getting enough info to know better, so please, what exactly is should we do - other than read our history books?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Want to like the last sentence of your post without liking the underlying premise....
Honestly, I'm sleeping on it tonight, and if it's still there on the Internet tomorrow, I'm finding contact info for the paper's editor and writing a nastygram. Someone just wanted "filler" and "context" and didn't bother to read their own paper's article. Which is a huge deal when you're a paper of record telling people who is to blame for the deaths of innocent civilians.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Pray tell, what should have been done after the initial invasion, and what should be done now? I hear this sentiment by a lot of people in the media who should be getting enough info to know better, so please, what exactly is should we do - other than read our history books?

No idea what you are saying. I didn't sign on to any current bandwagon with my statement. You made an assumption. The "pray tell" is especially nice touch.

Just saying from my observation of history, that he (Putin) is in a position to dictate the course of events in the Ukraine and there's not a lot anyone can do about it.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Personally, I think this is a case of the rebels getting a little too trigger happy with a very nasty AA system provided to them by the Russians, and not something planned for by Putin. While it's clear that there are elements of the Russian intelligence services operating in Ukraine as well as paid Cossack "volunteers", I think these elements operate a lot more autonomously than what is characterized in the media.

A long war/occupation in eastern Ukraine does not suit Putin's goals. The US failed to occupy and control two third world countries, and there is no way that Russia could effectively occupy eastern Ukraine, which has a much better military than what Iraq and Afghanistan had. Putin captured Crimea without firing a shot, and I believe that he is content with that - for now - and this is more of a case of he can't put the cat back in the bag once he unleashed these separatist militias.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Honestly, I'm sleeping on it tonight, and if it's still there on the Internet tomorrow, I'm finding contact info for the paper's editor and writing a nastygram. Someone just wanted "filler" and "context" and didn't bother to read their own paper's article. Which is a huge deal when you're a paper of record telling people who is to blame for the deaths of innocent civilians.

Nittany,

I couldn't wait and sent the CSM an email yesterday. Not sure if he received multiple "check your facts" emails or not. When I looked this morning and the article was changed with this added:

[Editor's note: The original version of this paragraph was modified to provide accurate information on the US downing of an Iranian airliner in 1988. The USS Vincennes, mistaking the airliner for an F-14 fighter jet, fired two surface-to-air missiles that destroyed the civilian plane.]

Lawman

None

Id argue that this whole situation stems from a much longer history than just 6 months ago Russia decided to be a dick and we didnt do anything about it.

We've been solidly on this attempted "reset" of relations with Russia by which we have repeatedly conceded to his wants with things like the Missile Shield or actions in Syria (which is a whole mess of a discussion on its own). Putin has also had the benefit of seeing our president repeatedly stall out on his demands and so called red lines in other issues of foreign policy matters to know how to read our guy pretty well. Its not that we are painting ourselves in a corner in regards to actions with the Russians its that we have painted ourselves into that corner now. He simply doesnt have to take our opinion into account anymore because he knows that when the big bet is put on the table we, our allies who look to us for assistance in the matter, our population, and more specifically with the administrative leadership directly, do not have the will to take them on.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
in a broad approach to events around the world during our time serving in the near future would you all recommend we stay pretty close hauled with our opinions and just keep our head down and train? Is there ever an appropriate time to react to a situation and how the CoC responds to said situation or like previously stated should we just keep our head down and throttle forward?

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
in a broad approach to events around the world during our time serving in the near future would you all recommend we stay pretty close hauled with our opinions and just keep our head down and train? Is there ever an appropriate time to react to a situation and how the CoC responds to said situation or like previously stated should we just keep our head down and throttle forward?
Are you suggesting we ignore, or more/less just shut up and color, er.. TRAIN?:confused:
BzB

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
Are you suggesting we ignore, or more/less just shut up and color, er.. TRAIN?:confused:
BzB
im about as green as can be and if the question can be asked and not get an ass chewing I figure now is better than later...but I assume I should pack my crayons...