• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First Officer -> Captain

Treetop Flyer

pilot
That depends a lot on which major, base, etc. supposedly the junior captain at Delta was hired less than a year ago. NYC MD-88

Ringer

pilot
Fair enough. Are we seeing people with 2000+ military hours being hired as captains or are they paying their dues first as 1st officers for a few years, on average?

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
No one gets hired into a major as a captain. You will start as a FO. As Treetop alluded to, how long it takes to jump to the left seat depends on the carrier, equipment, base, and seniority hit you're willing to accept. If you just want to get there as fast as possible, Delta and FedEx have both had some absurdly fast upgrades in the past year (i.e., well under a year), but your schedule is gonna blow if you choose to do that.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
As mentioned before, DAL and FedEx have upgrades into junior equipment/base in around a year. I believe E190 CA upgrade at AA is around 1-2 years.

Upgrade times tend to be dropping at legacies with old pilot groups due to forced retirements and at several U/LCCs due to growth.

The longest upgrade projections I've heard of lately is SWA with 11-12 years depending on growth. Even AA new hires are projecting upgrades in 6-9 years for 737/A320s after SLI bidding get sorted out and a waive of retirements kick in. For comparison, until recently it was an 18-20 year upgrade at AA- retirements will be having a massive effect on movement there, as well as United, Delta, FedEx and UPS as most of their pilot groups turn over in the next 10 years or so.

AFUAW

pilot
Fair enough. Are we seeing people with 2000+ military hours being hired as captains or are they paying their dues first as 1st officers for a few years, on average?

Amplifying info to what others have said: per Part 121.436, to be PIC (Capt) for a Part 121 carrier, you need 1,000 hours as SIC (FO) under Part 121; although, you can credit up to 500 of time as aircraft commander of a military fixed-wing, multi-pilot airplane.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
25-years-on.jpg

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Technically, new hires with around 11 months on property were awarded 757 Captain. But because Fedex does really large bids, they aren't schedule to go to training until late 2018 so reality is junior Captain will be a 3-4 year guy. Supposed to be a bid out in spring and that will change things again.