• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First move and many more

speedroller

Rangers
Hi, recent pro Y sna. My wife and I are planning for the big move after OCS. For those who had a lot of "toys", cars, motorcycles, atv's etc., is it a good idea to downsize? Both, for instant savings account growth and reduction of liability and distraction while at flight school?

It's just two of us, typically renting 3 -4 bedroom houses. With two successful careers and incomes, we've gathered "stuff" over the years.

My goal is to keep a bedroom, living room and office set. Everything else goes.

I'm open ears.

thanks

azbornpilot

Aviation bum
Unless you wanna move all that stuff every 3-8 months for the next few years,or pay a ton a ton of money to store it, I'd suggest downsizing. More money for beer, Florabama, and trips to the beach. If your follow on orders are to NAS Whiting Field- which if you are married they should be you can do an initial move. As for those of us who are single, API is considered TDY and the military won't pay for your move. As for toys, I have plenty of friends with boats and other things, it's just a lot of stuff to move.

Hope this helps

speedroller

Rangers
Unless you wanna move all that stuff every 3-8 months for the next few years,or pay a ton a ton of money to store it, I'd suggest downsizing. More money for beer, Florabama, and trips to the beach. If your follow on orders are to NAS Whiting Field- which if you are married they should be you can do an initial move. As for those of us who are single, API is considered TDY and the military won't pay for your move. As for toys, I have plenty of friends with boats and other things, it's just a lot of stuff to move.

Hope this helps
Thanks for replying. I am already selling a lot of my non-essential belongings. My wife and I think it would be better to get an apartment, two bed room, so we have a decent amenities on site. And I think having a motorcycle and my go kart will just distract me from what's really important. Not to mention it's a huge risk for injury.

Wahine

I have 2 motorcycles; however, I love riding so I will be bringing them with me along with all of my tools since I was an aircraft tech before and currently wrench on motorcycles for fun. While in school, I live by myself and will continue to since I've had 3 bad experiences with roommates damaging my things already. I've been looking at Three Waters Green that has some pretty decent prices. The move will suck, but my things are durable so I wont mind moving it all the time.

Pags

N/A
pilot
How much do you like your stuff and how hard/expensive do you want your moves to be? Not necessarily something we can answer as it's based on your own perception of your stuff and priorities.

Lots of housing options available in Pcola with all the usual benefits/costs/tradeoffs. Again, probably something better for you and your wife to slap the table on.

speedroller

Rangers
I have 2 motorcycles; however, I love riding so I will be bringing them with me along with all of my tools since I was an aircraft tech before and currently wrench on motorcycles for fun. While in school, I live by myself and will continue to since I've had 3 bad experiences with roommates damaging my things already. I've been looking at Three Waters Green that has some pretty decent prices. The move will suck, but my things are durable so I wont mind moving it all the time.
You just recited my life, minus the roommates. I used to be a structures tech on B737s, so I have a lot of good sheet metal tools. I already sold one of my bikes, one more to go.

speedroller

Rangers
How much do you like your stuff and how hard/expensive do you want your moves to be? Not necessarily something we can answer as it's based on your own perception of your stuff and priorities.

Lots of housing options available in Pcola with all the usual benefits/costs/tradeoffs. Again, probably something better for you and your wife to slap the table on.
I'd like to keep it as pain less as possible. We are in fact downsizing the amount of furniture and house related items we keep. Speaking of moves, does the big Navy pay for or reimburse any of the moves? Including the initial move to FL?

Pags

N/A
pilot
I'd like to keep it as pain less as possible. We are in fact downsizing the amount of furniture and house related items we keep. Speaking of moves, does the big Navy pay for or reimburse any of the moves? Including the initial move to FL?
Navy will cover moves (up to a point) associated with PCS orders. How much the Navy covers is based on a weight allowance determined by rank. If you get PCS orders from OCS to Pcola then the Navy will pay to move your stuff from your home of record to Pcola. If you decided to move across town during a tour, that's on you.

If you have a lot of nice stuff you don't want to sell but also don't want to move you could always put it into long term storage (on your own dime). But what will happen is when you get your stuff back in X years you'll say "why the hell did we keep all this crap?"

Wahine

I agree with not selling your bike. Both of my bikes are worth more than my furniture combine right now lol.

Pags

N/A
pilot
You just recited my life, minus the roommates. I used to be a structures tech on B737s, so I have a lot of good sheet metal tools. I already sold one of my bikes, one more to go.
I knew a Chief who had an awesome tool collection. He had to pay the Navy at the end of his moves because it weighed so much. Extra vehicles, tools, weights (duh), books, etc add up fast on the weight limit.

speedroller

Rangers
I knew a Chief who had an awesome tool collection. He had to pay the Navy at the end of his moves because it weighed so much. Extra vehicles, tools, weights (duh), books, etc add up fast on the weight limit.
I was like that a few years ago, and every time we move I end up selling things.

speedroller

Rangers
Navy will cover moves (up to a point) associated with PCS orders. How much the Navy covers is based on a weight allowance determined by rank. If you get PCS orders from OCS to Pcola then the Navy will pay to move your stuff from your home of record to Pcola. If you decided to move across town during a tour, that's on you.

If you have a lot of nice stuff you don't want to sell but also don't want to move you could always put it into long term storage (on your own dime). But what will happen is when you get your stuff back in X years you'll say "why the hell did we keep all this crap?"
Any leads on where I can find out more on this? I rather not have a storage unit, I'll be pulling both of us on my salary while in Pensacola, unless my wife can find somewhere to work. You would think an MBA grad can find a job easily, not so much.

Pags

N/A
pilot
http://www.move.mil/

Note that the Navy won't pay for your storage unit unless you're moving overseas. If you're trying to cover your living expenses on an Ensign salary maybe divesting yourself of non-paid off toys would be a good idea.

speedroller

Rangers
http://www.move.mil/

Note that the Navy won't pay for your storage unit unless you're moving overseas. If you're trying to cover your living expenses on an Ensign salary maybe divesting yourself of non-paid off toys would be a good idea.
Thank you for the info. All of my toys have been paid off for a while now. Selling them for extra cash was one of the reasons.