• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS FINSEL purgatory while in college

Zumbahnhof

I wanna go fast
pilot
Contributor
So I'm currently a senior in college graduating in May, and I'm applying to the FEB 07 2018 Aviation Board for OCS. Assuming everything goes well and I get a PROREC Y, it's my understanding that I will have to wait until after I graduate before I'm eligible for a FINSEL and class date.

Now, obviously becoming an officer in the Navy is what I want to do, but I'm wondering what I should be doing to cover my bases in the event that I, for some reason or another, don't get a FINSEL. I could apply for a job after graduation, but I'd feel kinda crappy just quitting after 1-2 months in the event I'm selected. I've already applied for grad school, but I'm pretty sure those offers need to be accepted well before I graduate. I could also always just do nothing, but then I'm left with a nice 3-4 month long gap in employment while all my friends already have jobs.

I know this isn't specifically about OCS or the Navy, and it might be the wrong place to ask, but I was just looking for some advice from those of you who have been in this position before.

TheIronMike

I'm in the same position. I graduated in Dec. and still doing interviews. Since OCS is your number 1, don't worry about leaving a job after a few months. The job market has changed, so employers, for the most part, understand that you will have other and better offers come up.

AULANI

So I'm currently a senior in college graduating in May, and I'm applying to the FEB 07 2018 Aviation Board for OCS. Assuming everything goes well and I get a PROREC Y, it's my understanding that I will have to wait until after I graduate before I'm eligible for a FINSEL and class date.

Now, obviously becoming an officer in the Navy is what I want to do, but I'm wondering what I should be doing to cover my bases in the event that I, for some reason or another, don't get a FINSEL. I could apply for a job after graduation, but I'd feel kinda crappy just quitting after 1-2 months in the event I'm selected. I've already applied for grad school, but I'm pretty sure those offers need to be accepted well before I graduate. I could also always just do nothing, but then I'm left with a nice 3-4 month long gap in employment while all my friends already have jobs.

I know this isn't specifically about OCS or the Navy, and it might be the wrong place to ask, but I was just looking for some advice from those of you who have been in this position before.

Just continue with your life as if you weren't planning on going into the Navy. Get a job, go to grad school, do both. God forbid something happens and you can't go into the Navy, you'll be glad you didn't just sit on your ass doing nothing while you waited for a FINSEL.

Zumbahnhof

I wanna go fast
pilot
Contributor
This is kind of what I expected to hear, I just want to avoid burning bridges if possible.

I would like to be able to go to grad school at some point in the future, and I'd rather not get shorted because I left early the first time I was there, especially since in grad school you're much more personally involved with one professor.

How negative would a several month long gap in relevant employment be to a future career? Could I get by just waiting for a FINSEL to avoid bridge burning as much as possible, then secure a job after I'm confident I didn't get selected?

Thanks for the advice so far y'all, just trying to get as much info as possible

Meyerkord

pilot
This is kind of what I expected to hear, I just want to avoid burning bridges if possible.

I would like to be able to go to grad school at some point in the future, and I'd rather not get shorted because I left early the first time I was there, especially since in grad school you're much more personally involved with one professor.

How negative would a several month long gap in relevant employment be to a future career? Could I get by just waiting for a FINSEL to avoid bridge burning as much as possible, then secure a job after I'm confident I didn't get selected?

No respectable employer should bat an eye at a few months off right after college. They should know that sometimes college students aren't able to pick up jobs right away due to any number of factors. And if they ask, you have a good reason - just explain you were trying to join the military. The only reason employment gaps are hurtful is if you're out for over a year or more and can't keep yourself relevant in your field. You'll be fine.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

CALM DOWN and RELAX. All of your questions are not a big deal. You're what... 22, 23? Aside from the military and about to ship to OCS employers are not expecting you to have your career set so young. Don't worry about the gaps.

As for the employment and grad school, DO NOT tell anyone you're in the process of joining. It's none of their business.

XWingAviator

I feel like there are a bunch of us who are graduating in a few months already having received a PROREC-Y waiting for a FINSEL (myself included). I'm curious as to how many of us there are...

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
I feel like there are a bunch of us who are graduating in a few months already having received a PROREC-Y waiting for a FINSEL (myself included). I'm curious as to how many of us there are...

Also in that boat. Due to trapping myself in a major I despise, I really do have all my eggs in this basket. In defense of Big Navy though, it doesn't make sense to give us orders before we've graduated. We've got to hold up our end of the deal.

XWingAviator

Also in that boat. Due to trapping myself in a major I despise, I really do have all my eggs in this basket. In defense of Big Navy though, it doesn't make sense to give us orders before we've graduated. We've got to hold up our end of the deal.

What's your major? And yeah I feel, I chose a major thats more useful than enjoyable... so my eggs are all in this basket too. I agree it doesnt make sense to get orders BUT i hate waiting

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
What's your major? And yeah I feel, I chose a major thats more useful than enjoyable... so my eggs are all in this basket too. I agree it doesnt make sense to get orders BUT i hate waiting

Check the signature. As far as waiting... you realize you’re joining the military, right?