• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F/A-18 Super Hornet - extend its service life well into the 2030’s

jander12

pilot
http://defensetech.org/2014/07/16/m...paign=Feed:+originalnews/feed+(Original+News)

Alongside upgrades to the platform that are already underway such as targeting improvements and experimentation with conformal fuel tanks and an external weapons pod, the Navy is planning upgrades to the plane’s sensors, radar and computer systems, said Capt. Frank Morley, program manager for the F/A-18 and EA-18G Growler.

In particular, one effort involves research into a technology known as the “Magic Carpet,” a series of flight control algorithms developed by the Navy to improve control of the airplane as it maintains a glide slope and lands on the deck of a carrier, Morley explained.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
I don't think this has anything directly to do with the F-35, because it is being made to replace the legacy Hornet models, not the Rhino/Growler variants. Indirectly, however, it will probably be a long, long time before any of the branches have the political capital and will to begin a new fighter procurement program after the debacle that has been the F-35, which means the Navy is going to need to update the Rhino.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
I don't think this has anything directly to do with the F-35, because it is being made to replace the legacy Hornet models, not the Rhino/Growler variants. Indirectly, however, it will probably be a long, long time before any of the branches have the political capital and will to begin a new fighter procurement program after the debacle that has been the F-35, which means the Navy is going to need to update the Rhino.

The USMC will fly the Hornet until 2030 because of F-35 delays.

freshy

Genius by birth. Slacker by choice.
pilot
The USMC will fly the Hornet until 2030 because of F-35 delays.

Any one who claims to have knowledge of an exact year when the USMC F-18 will sundown is either A.) Marine Corps Deputy Commandant for Aviation B.) from the future C.) going off of rumor.

That being said, VMFA-121, the first operational JSF squadron, was right next door to my last fleet Harrier squadron I just left a few weeks ago. Although there are some delays for reasons none of us know about, I'm here to tell you that the JSF is alive and well in the Marines. The squadron spaces are amazing, the jet is completely badass, and the squadron bar is epic. Every day I saw multiple divisions of JSF in the overhead at my home base, STOVL ops and all.....

And for J. Petrovic's post above....I would be interested to laugh at your reasoning why you are not a fan of the JSF. I'm sure your 3.52 GPA in Natural Science would keep you well informed.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
And for J. Petrovic's post above....I would be interested to laugh at your reasoning why you are not a fan of the JSF. I'm sure your 3.52 GPA in Natural Science would keep you well informed.
Touche', Monsieur!;)
Touche'.png
BzB

Last edited:

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Any one who claims to have knowledge of an exact year when the USMC F-18 will sundown is either A.) Marine Corps Deputy Commandant for Aviation B.) from the future C.) going off of rumor.
Well, the MC AVPLAN does say the last MC F/A-18 squadron will sundown in 2029. The AV PLAN is signed off by the MC-DCA so I'd say the date close enough for government work.

S/F

maxsonic

Until they pull an F-15C and break in half under G.

Root cause of the F-15C longeron failure was defective part manufacturing, not an aging airframe.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...-part-caused-f-15-breakup-pentagon-finds.html

..."the Master Aviation Plan has F/A-18A-D operational commitments through 2030."
Reference report attached, which includes factual details on NAVAIR's Service Life Assessment Program / Service Life Extension Program (SLAP/SLEP) for the Classic F/A-18A-D and the Rhino. I'm proud to be one of the hundreds of dedicated Engineering Professionals working to keep the Classic Hornet Fleet flying safely into the future.

MAX

Attachments

• HHRG-113-AS25-20140326-SD001(1).pdf
    317.5 KB · Views: 21

speedroller

Rangers

That being said, VMFA-121, the first operational JSF squadron, was right next door to my last fleet Harrier squadron I just left a few weeks ago. Although there are some delays for reasons none of us know about, I'm here to tell you that the JSF is alive and well in the Marines. The squadron spaces are amazing, the jet is completely badass, and the squadron bar is epic. Every day I saw multiple divisions of JSF in the overhead at my home base, STOVL ops and all.....

I work on Boeings, and from what I have see and read, the new JSF airframe has some flaws, it does not carry as much payload, it is a single engine a/c, and from the promised $40 mil a piece, it is now over $100 mil, which the whole reason why the JSF was designed was to create an affordable design that would replace current airframes. Some say that having one platform will suffice, by the time they work out all the kinks the JSF will cost taxpayers over $130 mil a pop.
By all means, it looks cool, what lockheed martin says it will do sure sounds promising.

On another note, if its not Boeing, im not going :)