• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Eyesight Waivers & The Flight Phys After OCS

DDE1990

INFORMATION DOMINATOR WARRIOR OR W/E
I am applying for SNA & SNFO. I have one eye that is 20/25 and one that is 20/30, the worse of which has an astigmatism. I got the waiver from N3M to apply to both of my desired programs approved, but my processor has mentioned to me that being accepted into flight school is ultimately decided at your flight physical after OCS. My obvious worry with that is that (should I get lucky and get accepted, and then graduate from OCS) I could be disqualified from both of my desired programs after going through OCS.

Does anyone have experience in this area? Any horror or success stories with trying to go the SNA or SNFO route with a waiver for eyesight? I've heard a lot of gouge recently that indicates the Navy only taking 20/20 or better... Is that the case or are people being selected with (slightly) less than perfect eyesight?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Spartan43

STEEEEEEEEEVE
None
The only thing they checked at NAMI for me was facial measurements for my prescription glasses. Others just got blood drawn and sit down interview with the flight doc who just looks over your medical folder for any discrepancies. We were all expecting another thorough flight physical but that was it.

I guess everything from the OCS physical was good enough for them.

DDE1990

INFORMATION DOMINATOR WARRIOR OR W/E
Thanks for the reply, that's promising to hear. Hopefully you're the rule and not the exception.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
The only thing they checked at NAMI for me was facial measurements for my prescription glasses. Others just got blood drawn and sit down interview with the flight doc who just looks over your medical folder for any discrepancies. We were all expecting another thorough flight physical but that was it.

I guess everything from the OCS physical was good enough for them.
what was your vision like going in vs coming out...you notice a difference at all in your acuity. I'm pretty much borderline and didnt know if anyone else experienced much of a fall off in that short period of time.

Spartan43

STEEEEEEEEEVE
None
what was your vision like going in vs coming out...you notice a difference at all in your acuity. I'm pretty much borderline and didnt know if anyone else experienced much of a fall off in that short period of time.
My left eye was 20/60 when I got checked. I think it stayed the same. I haven't had them checked since the first week of OCS.

Last edited:

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
I guess thats the same as 20/40. The next time I assume you'd get checked would be after winging right?

foleypat

Few questions regarding PRK that I figured I'd ask since I wasn't able to find:

1) If applying for OCS (SNA slot), will I need to have a waiver for my PRK surgery before I send off the application? Or is this something that is waiverable down the road a bit, say after I apply to OCS?

2) I've read different requirements for what is allowed for corrective eye surgery. My eye prescription is -2.75 in the right and -3 in left. I notice on a document from Tri-Care "Refractive surgery for naval aviation personnel" that it can be corrected for myopia -6.00 diopters for an SNA applicant. However, on another document I read surgery is only waiverable for less than myopia -1.50 diopters.

Any info would be great! Appreciate all the help this community offers.

FlyingGamecock

1) If applying for OCS (SNA slot), will I need to have a waiver for my PRK surgery before I send off the application? Or is this something that is waiverable down the road a bit, say after I apply to OCS?

2) I've read different requirements for what is allowed for corrective eye surgery. My eye prescription is -2.75 in the right and -3 in left. I notice on a document from Tri-Care "Refractive surgery for naval aviation personnel" that it can be corrected for myopia -6.00 diopters for an SNA applicant. However, on another document I read surgery is only waiverable for less than myopia -1.50 diopters.

For question 1) Definitely have to have the waiver before you send your application in. You’re able to get the waiver 6 months after the date of your surgery

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA

I have a waiver for my PRK. I had to get it done, wait 6-months, then request the waiver. Once I reached that 6-months then I was able to go to MEPS. Everything checked out and I was good to go and got my physically qualified letter and was able to submit to the board. Honestly you’re looking at a year time frame from right now until you’ll be able to submit. Maybe 8 months if you’re lucky.

Regarding that -1.50. Not sure where you saw that but it’s wrong. I believe it’s -6.00 pre surgery limit. After surgery as long as you’re within the 20/40 each eye, 20/20 both you should be fine.

foleypat

I have a waiver for my PRK. I had to get it done, wait 6-months, then request the waiver. Once I reached that 6-months then I was able to go to MEPS. Everything checked out and I was good to go and got my physically qualified letter and was able to submit to the board. Honestly you’re looking at a year time frame from right now until you’ll be able to submit. Maybe 8 months if you’re lucky.

Regarding that -1.50. Not sure where you saw that but it’s wrong. I believe it’s -6.00 pre surgery limit. After surgery as long as you’re within the 20/40 each eye, 20/20 both you should be fine.
Good info! Thanks. Yeah, figured it'd be 8-12 months before I can submit for a board. Appreciate the insight