• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Everett, WA

usunkmybship

I have never been there before but I want to be stationed there.
A broad question; what is it like over there and the Seattle area?

I would also like information about the ships there, in particular the USS Momsen.

Thank you.

swerdna

None
Contributor
I have never been there before but I want to be stationed there.
A broad question; what is it like over there and the Seattle area?

I would also like information about the ships there, in particular the USS Momsen.

Thank you.

PM me if you want...I live just outside of Seattle and grew up here. I've been to Everett way too many times.

Not too familiar with the ships though, but I'll give you any info on the area.

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
I lived there my whole life up until the day I left for OCS. The puget sound is an awesome area, there is a TON to do especially if your an outdoors type. You are 2 hours from the mountains, 3 hours from the pacific ocean, and 3 hours from E. Wa. which has awesome lakes for camping/water skiing type stuff in the summer. Seattle gets a bad rap, it actually rains more in Pensacola than it does Sea-town by volume, its just gray and drizzly from late September to late March so its not sunny a whole lot in the fall/winter. The Lincoln is stationed there, there was quite a few other surface ships there too but I don't anything about the ships. Vancouver B.C. is awesome too, 'lotta good lookin' canuck chicks in that town. Downtown Seattle has a really good party scene too, just stay away from Capitol Hill, its the don't ask don't tell part of town.

swerdna

None
Contributor
I lived there my whole life up until the day I left for OCS. The puget sound is an awesome area, there is a TON to do especially if your an outdoors type. You are 2 hours from the mountains, 3 hours from the pacific ocean, and 3 hours from E. Wa. which has awesome lakes for camping/water skiing type stuff in the summer. Seattle gets a bad rap, it actually rains more in Pensacola than it does Sea-town by volume, its just gray and drizzly from late September to late March so its not sunny a whole lot in the fall/winter. The Lincoln is stationed there, there was quite a few other surface ships there too but I don't anything about the ships. Vancouver B.C. is awesome too, 'lotta good lookin' canuck chicks in that town. Downtown Seattle has a really good party scene too, just stay away from Capitol Hill, its the don't ask don't tell part of town.

The rain thing's true. We just broke the sixty plus day streak of 50 deg or below. I remember a few years back it rained once every day for over 100 days.

Summers are awesome here. Doesn't really compare with anywhere else I've been. The problem is that they're so short. Three months tops (and that's a stretch).

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Go to Whidbey, then. Less rain there than in SEA, and it's only 1.5-2hrs away. Look up "God's country" in the dictionary and there's pictures . . .

At least as long as you stay away from the hippies. :icon_tong

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
Yea, I thought I had seen it rain hard in Seattle, then I moved to the gulf coast and would regularly see it pour for a half hour to an hour and fill the streets in my neighborhood with 5-6 inches of water. I miss home bad sometimes, this damn south Texas weather blows, windy as shit and nasty humid most hours of the day. At least I'll get some good west coast weather next week in san dog for the boat det.

/end threadjack

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Seattle gets a bad rap, it actually rains more in Pensacola than it does Sea-town by volume, its just gray and drizzly from late September to late March so its not sunny a whole lot in the fall/winter. The Lincoln is stationed there, there was quite a few other surface ships there too but I don't anything about the ships. Vancouver B.C. is awesome too, 'lotta good lookin' canuck chicks in that town.

If I hear one more Seattle-ite say that....:icon_rage...Seriously, it friggin depressing up there in the winter, 8-9 months of cold, damp and dark. Yeah, it rains more in Miami and Pensacola but it doesn't take 9 months to come down, just a few hours. The only reason I kept my sanity is that I deployed regularly.

I will agree about the good looking Canuck girls though!

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
If I hear one more Seattle-ite say that....:icon_rage...Seriously, it friggin depressing up there in the winter, 8-9 months of cold, damp and dark.

Last time I checked, winter's were cold, damp, and quite often dark :), and it ain't 8-9 months that's for sure. Well I think if you grew up with it and are used to it, its just another day up there. Now if you grew up in Miami, selected prowlers and went to whidbey, then yes it would be depressing!

/J

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
I'm gonna have to agree with Flash and say it's about 8 months of sh!t weather. Everett is an OK city with lots of recreation nearby but the weather will drive you mad. The news makes a huge deal out of it if we even get a day of sun or semi-warm weather before April or May.

Fortunately, I live on the better side of the state now.

PA-28III

Pro-Rec SNA with BDCP
If I hear one more Seattle-ite say that....:icon_rage...Seriously, it friggin depressing up there in the winter, 8-9 months of cold, damp and dark.

I grew up in Oak Harbor, now I'm in Eastern WA (CWU). I miss the clouds. Western WA is never too hot or cold...it's great.

By the way Everett smells funky

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
It's a 'mild' climate... In that you will never see negative temperatures in the winter, and in the summer you'll never see temperatures over 95ish.... (yes it does happen in rare circumstances)....

You also rarely see snow during the winter (this year being a huge exception).. Depending on where you live (in the foothills or near the Sound), you'll probably only get up to 3 inches of snow a year (again, greatly depends on where you live).

It definitely is fairly drizzly/gloomy there throughout the year, but if it wasn't for this, the state wouldn't be so gorgeous.... By gorgeous I mean very very lush and green. The forests up on the Olympia Peninsula are breathtaking.

Simply put, Washington State is an outdoorsman's paradise. It is a unique state in that you are never more than a 3-4 hour drive away from a completely different climate... Eastern Washington is completely different from Western Washington... Separated by the Rockies, Eastern Washington is more like a desert.... Essentially you have the ocean, rainforest, mountains (lots of good snow and world class skiing/snowboarding), and desert within an arms reach.

Anyways... that's all I've got.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
There's reasons -- lots of 'em -- why so many retirees choose the PNW as the final resting place -- whether they be Officer or Enlisted -- Navy, Marine, Army, Air Force ... and yes, even Coasties and the Salvation Army ...

There's reasons -- lots of 'em -- why SEA is a senior, senior base in the airlines ...

And it ain't because of all the latte-lappin' liberals in SEA or YVR. :)

swerdna

None
Contributor
I agree that there are lots of things that draw people to the NW. I can't wait to get out of here though. Just don't want to deal with the weather and the expensive living anymore.

As for Everett, the city has a hockey team, the Silvertips (not NHL) and a minor league baseball team, the Aquasox. But it has a big meth problem, so you might not want to live in downtown. They're trying to clean it up but not much luck yet.

The base is fairly new (i think it was built in 1994 or so)...OK the base facilities are new. It has two piers (A and B), and a uniform NEX. other than that, there's not much to do there. The commisary and main NEX is pretty far north in Smokey Point, and I think that's where the housing is also located. It's a strange layout.

It's also a long trip to get to the ocean, I think about an eight hour sea and anchor detail.