• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Europe - Thy name is Cowardice

Status
Not open for further replies.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
David Kaspar has a translation of an article by Matthias Döpfner, Chief Executive of German publisher Axel Springer AG, published in the German daily Welt.

A few days ago Henryk M. Broder wrote in Welt am Sonntag, "Europe – your family name is appeasement." It’s a phrase you can’t get out of your head because it’s so terribly true.

Appeasement cost millions of Jews and non-Jews their lives as England and France, allies at the time, negotiated and hesitated too long before they noticed that Hitler had to be fought, not bound to agreements. Appeasement stabilized communism in the Soviet Union and East Germany in that part of Europe where inhuman, suppressive governments were glorified as the ideologically correct alternative to all other possibilities. Appeasement crippled Europe when genocide ran rampant in Kosovo and we Europeans debated and debated until the Americans came in and did our work for us. Rather than protecting democracy in the Middle East, European appeasement, camouflaged behind the fuzzy word "equidistance," now countenances suicide bombings in Israel by fundamentalist Palestinians. Appeasement generates a mentality that allows Europe to ignore 300,000 victims of Saddam’s torture and murder machinery and, motivated by the self-righteousness of the peace-movement, to issue bad grades to George Bush. A particularly grotesque form of appeasement is reacting to the escalating violence by Islamic fundamentalists in Holland and elsewhere by suggesting that we should really have a Muslim holiday in Germany.

What else has to happen before the European public and its political leadership get it? There is a sort of crusade underway, an especially perfidious crusade consisting of systematic attacks by fanatic Muslims, focused on civilians and directed against our free, open Western societies.
It is a conflict that will most likely last longer than the great military conflicts of the last century—a conflict conducted by an enemy that cannot be tamed by tolerance and accommodation but only spurred on by such gestures, which will be mistaken for signs of weakness.

Two recent American presidents had the courage needed for anti-appeasement: Reagan and Bush. Reagan ended the Cold War and Bush, supported only by the social democrat Blair acting on moral conviction, recognized the danger in the Islamic fight against democracy. His place in history will have to be evaluated after a number of years have passed.

In the meantime, Europe sits back with charismatic self-confidence in the multicultural corner instead of defending liberal society’s values and being an attractive center of power on the same playing field as the true great powers, America and China. On the contrary—we Europeans present ourselves, in contrast to the intolerant, as world champions in tolerance, which even (Germany's Interior Minister) Otto Schily justifiably criticizes. Why? Because we’re so moral? I fear it’s more because we’re so materialistic.

For his policies, Bush risks the fall of the dollar, huge amounts of additional national debt and a massive and persistent burden on the American economy—because everything is at stake.

While the alleged capitalistic robber barons in American know their priorities, we timidly defend our social welfare systems. Stay out of it! It could get expensive. We’d rather discuss the 35-hour workweek or our dental health plan coverage. Or listen to TV pastors preach about "reaching out to murderers." These days, Europe reminds me of an elderly aunt who hides her last pieces of jewelry with shaking hands when she notices a robber has broken into a neighbor’s house. Europe, thy name is cowardice.

helmet91

contemplating applying again...
I wholeheartedly support this argument... It's one that I've supported since day one of our actions against terrorism. Too bad most people don't know their history...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Appeasement stabilized communism in the Soviet Union and East Germany in that part of Europe where inhuman, suppressive governments were glorified as the ideologically correct alternative to all other possibilities.

Someone needs to do a little history homework. Roosevelt was the one who was more accomodating Stalin and his outlook for postwar Europe during WW II . Churchill was the one who rose the red flag (pun intended) about communisim and the 'Iron Curtain' in his famous speech in 1946. What could have Europe done anyways, most of it was in ruins, physically and financially.

Bosnia and Kosovo I will not argue about, Brussels fiddled while the people sufferd and died, inexcusable. Sebrenicia was the worst example, 7000 men and boys massacred after Dutch troops got up and left without firing a shot.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
I think he is talking mostly about post WWII in the cold war time frame. Although, given the limited context, I can not be fully certain.

Given that, the only two comments I could make to contend with your argument are that:

A) The writer of the text is German, and I assume that his point of view in writing this is German. Therefore, the text in question probably has mostly to do with the allowance of the Soviet Union to absorb countries, like Germany.

B) Churchill is not singularly representative of the entire continent of Europe. Patton also wanted to immediately begin fighting the "red menace" after WWII; he didn't get his wish either.

Broadsword2004

The only part I would disagree on from my knowledge is that part where he mentions the "two great powers, America and China." China isn't a world power last I checked; maybe in 20+ years, but right now, at least if I am not mistaken, they have a very poorly-trained army and air force, and their navy has no global-projection capability. Their air force and navy also have no real combat experience, and their army hasn't really had any since the Korean War.

Their submarine that surfaced in Japanese waters had to run and hide because the Japanese defense force came threatening to sink it even.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HueyCobra8151 said:
I think he is talking mostly about post WWII in the cold war time frame. Although, given the limited context, I can not be fully certain.

Given that, the only two comments I could make to contend with your argument are that:

A) The writer of the text is German, and I assume that his point of view in writing this is German. Therefore, the text in question probably has mostly to do with the allowance of the Soviet Union to absorb countries, like Germany.

B) Churchill is not singularly representative of the entire continent of Europe. Patton also wanted to immediately begin fighting the "red menace" after WWII; he didn't get his wish either.

The policies decided by the allies during WWII are almost all linked to the subsequent events of the Cold War, especially the early ones. To dismiss the European contribution to NATO and the fight against the Commies is an ignorance of the facts.

Good missive though, brings up some valid points.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
I think it would be best to not underestimate the power of China's military. If nothing else, they have numbers. Numbers can do an awful lot in the face of superior tech. While i have no doubt we could wipe out their navy and air force, the cost would be high. The cost of taking them on the ground would be increadibly high. They may not yet be able to project their power the way we can or the russians could, but they are going to have that capability very, very soon.

Broadsword2004

China has a LOT to learn about naval and aerial warfare still; as for numbers, China is shrinking the size of its military to a smaller, more mobile force in the future; in a full land war, for whatever reason that would ever occur, first off, aerial superiority, which the U.S. has, means a lot, but also, the U.S. has lots of people to. They just aren't in the military at the moment.

I would say a large force with superior tech and training beats a much larger one though; individual men can only do so much. The 1st Marine Dvision alone took on thousands of Chinese troops in the Korean War that charged wave after wave, and just gunned them down.

I am not saying I'd underestimate Chian either, but I don't think they are nearly as capable as everyone tries to make out.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
better to overestimate them and crush them with ease than to underestimate them and face a much greater adversary. The US population is pretty big, about 300mil or so. China is about 1.6 BILLION. We'd need a lot of bullets. I'm sure we'd win, but the mauling we'd take would make WWII look like a cake walk. Also, china has nukes, as may North Korea. I have little doubt they'd use them.

bigmouth

You know I don't speak Spanish!
While appeasement may have been the name of the game in Europe for decades now, that does not mean that Saddam Hussein was being appeased during the build-up to the Iraqi invasion. In fact, the sanctions were so incredibly effective that more Iraqis ended up dying as a result of them, than died at the hands of Hussein (not that he was not to blame for many of those deaths too, of course). Moreover, while history may someday show that attempting to institute democracy in the Middle East was a good idea, as of right now we've surely created thousands upon thousands more terrorists by invading Iraq than there ever were before. Terrorists should not be appeased, but the approach we've taken, while brave, turns Muslims to the dark side at a pace faster than we can cope with. Just look at the anti-American sentiments popping up all over Europe from outspoken Muslim fanatics. Those feelings may have been harboring before, but now they've boiled over, and who knows when those comments will lead to widespread suicide attacks in countries with high Muslim populations. It seems to me that invading Iraq was not the solution to the problem of terrorism.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Flash: I agree with you. Don't take my earlier statement as an argument towards what you said; I was just trying to play "devil's advocate" and think of why the articles writer (a German executive) would list that as an example of Euro appeasment.

I wouldn't discount China. They are in line to be the "next" superpower to pop up, and it is not as if there is a decisive line that seperates "power" from "superpower." Economically, they are industrializing quite rapidly, fueled by an inordinate amount of Middle Eastern Oil Imports.

Politically they are starting to "tug at the reins" set forth by Nixon in the 60's. They way they are treating N. Korea/US relations and their increasingly aggressive stance towards Taiwan, as well as their political policy concerning their imported resources from the middle east and Africa are all becoming increasingly aggressive.

Militarily, it is true that they have drawn their armed forces down by 28%, but they still have the largest standing military with 2.81 million people (over half the size of our military). Currently China expends 55.91 billion USD on their military, second only to the United States (we expend 276.7 billion :D) I would not discount their military. (All those stats are on the low side I am sure. I doubt China releases 100% accurate statistics concerning their military). I don't think I need to say they have the world's largest pool of available manpower if the $hit were to hit the fan.

Bigmouth: The problem with your argument is that it is not as if nothing was happening, and we stirred up the hornets nest for no reason. Since 1961 the United States has been the victim of various forms of Terrorism. And we are not alone, the world has suffered collectively, recently, I think Spain would have cause to agree.

With that being said, as the list I linked to above shows, our previous course of action (ie: doing nothing) did not appear to be generating the sort of positive results we would hope for. Fighting and killing terrorists in Iraq is preferable to terrorists killing themselves (and those around them) in the United States.

Put another way, America has been fighting a war on terrorism since 1961, only until 2001 (40 years later) we were not active participants.

Broadsword2004

China would need to feed all those mouths though in their military; also, remember, aerial superiority. The U.S. could bomb a lot their people.

And also, 1.6 billion people equals a LOT of people who need training. China would have to train all those people and supply and feed them, which is not an easy task. As for their current military, it is mainly made up of rather poorly-trained troops who don't have too much in the way of combat experience.

From what I have read, China is more just a bully that thinks it is a superpower but really doesn't have much of any military capability at the moment. They just act the way they do because people fall for it.

And remember, arms contractors would love to make China appear as a much bigger threat then they are because that equals lots more $$$ for them.

Also, for the above scenarios, I was discounting nukes from the argument on purpose because once they're brought into the equation, nothing else really matters unless you have a missile-defense system that really works.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
As for China, would they be foolish enough to attack?? They have a large army and yadda yadda yadda... but without a flinch, we could stop them from importing anything via the sea and then bankrupt their economy.

And in the even of any large conflict, I have bets that their nuclear missiles would disappear rather quick. I'm confident that their missile sub doesn't leave port without an attack sub behind it.

//End Threadjack

ip568

None
Europe Surrenders

I maintain a website dedicated to military issues at http://www.navlog.org. Several new articles about Europe's surrender to terrorism.

Ken (retired P-3 NFO/mission commander)

bigmouth

You know I don't speak Spanish!
HueyCobra8151 said:
With that being said, as the list I linked to above shows, our previous course of action (ie: doing nothing) did not appear to be generating the sort of positive results we would hope for. Fighting and killing terrorists in Iraq is preferable to terrorists killing themselves (and those around them) in the United States.

HueyCobra, I couldn't disagree with you more. Yes, terrorism has been around for a long time (much longer than 60 years), and, yes, it has taken this country until September 11 to FULLY realize its seriousness. After the September 11 attacks, we did not sit around with our thumbs up our a$$es, as you suggest. We sought out Taliban fighters all over the world and blew up half of Afghanistan. It may not have been pretty and we didn't find bin Laden, but it was certainly a step in the right direction. Then our attention shifted towards Iraq, because of their threat of WMD, NOT because they were implicated in the Sept. 11 attacks.
It really bugs me when people confuse the two issues. So many Americans think we're in Iraq because we're still responding to the WTC attacks. We did not go to Iraq to fight terrorism. We went there to get rid of Hussein and all his nonexistent weapons. You say fighting and killing terrorists in Iraq is preferable to allowing them to kill us at home. I say, the majority of the terrorists that we're fighting in Iraq weren't anything but ordinary Iraqis pi$$ed off about their crappy lot in life. Look at the ring-leader in Fallujah, for instance. He was some plumber or something before the invasion.
As a result of going into Iraq, I believe we have instigated a massive terrorist recruitment frenzy in Iraq (and elsewhere), amongst Muslims who believe that we are attacking Islam more than anything else. Yes, terrorism has reached epic proportions, and we have to deal with the consequences, but I feel confident that by invading Iraq we've only made the job harder on ourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.