• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ethical Question

jRiot504

I posted last week regarding an interview with NAVAIR though to be honest the tech stack didn't appear interesting - far different from the west coast tech scene. But this week I was offered a role as a data scientist ($115k) for a company about an hour north of where I live (low cost of living) - work from home.

However, my board results aren't released until middle of next month. I do feel fairly confident in my package I will be picked up for SWO and a designator in IWC - though nothing is 100% guarantee so I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket. Though if I am selected I will accept the opportunity as I am near the age limit to commission in the military - data science will still be there when I am done with the military

The ethical portion - I did not let the company know I have a military OCS application in - if I did that would be the end of the process. Given that SWOs appear to be waiting 3 - 6 months for class dates, I wouldn't leave for a while. That gives me time to complete one or two projects (research takes a while to get into production) providing value to the company though costing them money of the hiring process.

In all honesty, is this an ethical issue? In all honesty, it is the salary that caused the ethical issue to stem. If it was a $50k retail job I wouldn't think twice about it. Should I just accept the offer (capitalistic reward system) and when the board results come-out address the problem then?

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
There is no ethical matter to resolve here. You are under no obligation to tell your employer anything about your OCS application. In this regard, I would not tell them anything until you drop your 2 week notice before you leave to go to OCS.

Accept the job, get paid, learn something.

If and when you are accepted, provide your employer with the standard notice period (e.g., 2 weeks) before you leave.

Pags

N/A
pilot
There is no ethical matter to resolve here. You are under no obligation to tell your employer anything about your OCS application. In this regard, I would not tell them anything until you drop your 2 week notice before you leave to go to OCS.

If and when you are accepted, provide your employer with the standard notice period (e.g., 2 weeks) before you leave.
Concur, there’s no ethically situation here, just business

jRiot504

You’re also going under the assumption that you will be an automatic PROREC Y for Intel. I have seen applicants with similar backgrounds and stats not get selected.

Don’t burn both bridges.

I am thinking picked up for SWO, which is my first choice. You are right on Intel as I the statistics I have read through on here, tell me its a roll of the dice.

You are correct, I don't want to burn any bridges which is why I will accept the offer and hope for the best regarding the board decision next month.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If nothing else, you’ll at least have some good civilian resume bullets when (not if) you leave the Navy. We all have to get out eventually, even the CNO. And depending on what you want to do, you’ll be better served as “returning analytics geek” in an HR recruiter’s mind than “WTF is this military shit I can’t even.”

Or maybe even be able to pitch your mil experience on top of that into management land.

jRiot504

If nothing else, you’ll at least have some good civilian resume bullets when (not if) you leave the Navy. We all have to get out eventually, even the CNO. And depending on what you want to do, you’ll be better served as “returning analytics geek” in an HR recruiter’s mind than “WTF is this military shit I can’t even.”

Or maybe even be able to pitch your mil experience on top of that into management land.

One of the reasons I put down Intel (recruiter recommended it as well) is that it would be more a lateral move given my current job. When I leave the Navy all my experience from now and then would transfer easily into the 'returning analytical geek' role.

I am lucky that my previous military job was air traffic control which people understand and can translate into experience for a role. Granted some think I was out on the runway with light batons directing planes to park - people aren't very smart.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
The ethical portion - I did not let the company know I have a military OCS application in - if I did that would be the end of the process. Given that SWOs appear to be waiting 3 - 6 months for class dates, I wouldn't leave for a while. That gives me time to complete one or two projects (research takes a while to get into production) providing value to the company though costing them money of the hiring process.
Let's say you were leaving a company after spending years with them for this job.

If quarterly earnings come out and said company decides to layoff workers, do you think they'll think twice about ethics before giving you a pink slip?

jRiot504

Let's say you were leaving a company after spending years with them for this job.

If quarterly earnings come out and said company decides to layoff workers, do you think they'll think twice about ethics before giving you a pink slip?

Touche.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Funny, I work with a couple of ex-Microsoft types who basically got exactly that. "Good morning, welcome to work. You've just been downsized. You're on the payroll for 30 more days, but you need to clean out your office today and turn in your badge."

D

Deleted member 24525

Agree and disagree

USERRA!!
Doesn’t matter WHEN you join, your job is LEGALLY required to keep you on for up to FIVE years, NOT including TITLE X orders.

My recommendation is to give that employer notice of MILITARY LEAVE...NOT two weeks notice that you are quitting...there are added benefits to doing so.

1. Let’s say you go AD, fail out of flight school and hate being SWO (as an aviator, I’m guessing you will)-do your 4 years and go back to your employer.

2. You POSSIBLY accrue 401k benefits -you must review this carefully though

3. ELEVATOR CLAUSE: USERRA protects you from losing promotions while you are on active duty orders. Etc

Just my 4 hapennies