• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ebay Uniforms

Phrost_Bite

Future Flyboy
Has anyone ever ordered uniforms online? It is about that time for me to put my order in but I'm broke and will go to great lengths to save some cash. I saw a dress blue coat on ebay for $50 plus shipping. It says it is legit. Does anyone have any experience with this?

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Last I checked, we're not supposed to sell uniform items on ebay or any other online shopping site...

Personally, I'd buy the uniforms new and then get them tailored. You'll get alot of mile out of the items, as I've got some uniform items I've had for about 10 years that I'm just now having to replace. Mostly, its because I'm a different shape than I was a few years ago. Only twice have I had to replace a uniform part because it became unserviceable.

I'm assuming you're a new commission, based on your profile. If you don't have a wife or kid, you can afford to pony up for a good set of uniforms.

81montedriver

pilot
I saw somebody selling a jar of Elvis' spit from a 1950's concert on Ebay once. Do you think THAT'S legit?

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
most uniform vendors have some form of zero/low interest loan program to help you with your purchase. Does USAA still offer the new Officer loan? The point is that there are plenty of programs to help out broke, newly commissioned Officers.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
The NEX gives you a discount on first day's purchases (20% I think?) if you open a credit line with them that most people in OCS put all their uniforms on. I paid it off a month or two after I got out. Part of being an Officer is buying your own seabag. You get a small yearly uniform allowance to help, not to mention if you're in Aviation you get some pretty gucci flight gear gratis later on. Nut up and get a nice set of Alphas & Blues (Or if Navy, Blues and Whites) with everyone else, so you can wear them less than 10 times a year.

Praying4OCS

Helo Bubba to Information Warrior
pilot
Contributor
You get a small yearly uniform allowance to help.............

Bad gouge brosef. The enlisted warriors get the yearly replacement allowance. Officers only get the initial allowance.

militaryuniformexchange.com

Example: $100 or $275 ($350 BB) for Navy SDB. Be smart. If you can save some dough, then do it. No one really cares where you get your uniforms, as long as they're legit.

b0pric01

pilot
Yes, they do still offer the career starter loan. $25k. Also, you can get one year same as cash through The Marine Shop with a loan through Marine Federal. I went this route and have some sharp ass uniforms that I can't wear for another month and a week.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Bad gouge brosef. The enlisted warriors get the yearly replacement allowance. Officers only get the initial allowance.

Also bad gouge. Not all officers get that allowance. I don't know about the boat schoolers, but NROTC guys don't.

KBayDog

I went this route and have some sharp ass uniforms that I can't wear for another month and a week.

And, after commissioning/uniform inspections at TBS, you won't wear the majority of those sharp ass uniforms anywhere near enough to justify the expense...but you'll have 'em anyway :)

Praying4OCS

Helo Bubba to Information Warrior
pilot
Contributor
I seem to remember getting it more than once...

If you did, more power to you. If PSD/DFAS finds it....they'll take it quick (unless Reserve I believe)and when u least expect it.

Also bad gouge. Not all officers get that allowance. I don't know about the boat schoolers, but NROTC guys don't.

Im pretty sure ALL officers are entitled to it, but didnt go NROTC so I could be wrong. Here's the info for those to read and interpret themselves.
http://www.dfas.mil/navy2/militarypay/clothingallowance.html
http://comptroller.defense.gov/fmr/07a/07a_30.pdf

Phrost_Bite

Future Flyboy
I'm assuming you're a new commission, based on your profile. If you don't have a wife or kid, you can afford to pony up for a good set of uniforms.

You are correct I am a new commission. However I have a wife, two kids, and have been out of school since December of 2009. Due to an OSO paper work error I am just now commissioning. I already took out the career starter loan so I have the cash at hand now, but I also have a crap load of debt from being out of work/school for over a year! Plus my kids are still little so I spend hundreds on diapers every month! I called the TBS Uniform Shop today and I have to be present in Quantico to qualify for the DPP. So I'm gonna have to pony up the cash to get my Blues to commission in and just get the rest later at TBS on the DPP. I think I might spend the $50 for the Ebay trash and if it turns out to be crap, just use it to get through my commissioning.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I did NROTC and I got the allowance. Unless the rules changed, I think you got screwed.