• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

dumb question

ndea

So I have a pretty dumb question... I've tried google-ing before bringing it to this forum.

during a draft I know a person can be drafter and required to enlist but If there was a draft would people with degrees be automatically enlisting or would they be drafted as officers? The really has nothing to do with anything, I was just curious.

ndea

It seems like people have a lot of negative things to say about SWO, why is that?
Is the quality of life just sucky? is it overmanned and people are annoyingly competitive ? What's so wrong with SWOs?
also how hard/easy is it to get accepted by an OCS board
***drafted

Judge Q

Judging You
Anecdotal and dated (though anything about an actual draft is going to be kind of dated since we haven't had an active draft since '73) but my grandfather got the letter during the Korean War after he graduated college, didn't try to dodge it or exempt out and went into the Army enlisted, so no one "drafted" him into a commission. Sample size of 1 but I doubt he's the only person in history it ever happened to.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
during a draft I know a person can be drafter and required to enlist but If there was a draft would people with degrees be automatically enlisting or would they be drafted as officers? The really has nothing to do with anything, I was just curious.

There are plenty of people even today that have a bachelors degree and enlist. The degree is a requirement to be an officer, but it isn't the only requirement although there are plenty of enlisted out there that think that is the only difference between them and the officers appointed over them...

During a draft there are plenty of people that enlist in the Coast Guard, Navy, Air Force, etc. by choice rather than get drafted in to the Army. The same thing happens with the Officer Corps. I don't know if it is or was possible to submit a package for OCS after receiving a draft notice. But to answer your question, no. Draftees are enlisted not commissioned.

Wareal

Contributor
Affirmative xmid. I became draft eligible in 1970. #169 of 365. Glad I didn't have to wait to find out if I would be drafted. As a full time college student I was deferred from the draft. My biggest fear was my mother's wrath. She was a Gold Star wife who would have no part of any of her kids going into the military. I often wonder how she would feel if she were alive to witness four of her nine grandsons serve as active duty (1 USAF O5 ret., 1 Army E5 (2001-2005), 1 Navy O6 (1992-), and 1 Navy O3E (2006-). None of her three granddaughters chose to serve.