• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Download Instrument Approach Plates

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
So all I have to do is bring my RAZR with VCast into the plane, and I can have a portable, streamable electronic approach plate? Yahoo!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
So all I have to do is bring my RAZR with VCast into the plane, and I can have a portable, streamable electronic approach plate? Yahoo!

You can, however, bring a PDA into the plane and w/ a XM radio receiver, receive real time weather updates along w/ your moving map display while shooting an approach.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Hey guys,

I found this website when I realized I was one chart short for a sim. You can download all of the DOD approach plates. Works nicely if you just need to look at them ahead of time and then can get the real thing later, saves a drive back to the squadron.

http://www.naco.faa.gov/digital_tpp.asp?ver=0703&eff=03-15-2007&end=04-12-2007

Heck I do more than that - these ARE the real thing. I print out a "trip package" for enroute and destination airports - these are PDF's and do nicely when printed landscape, 2 per page.

These charts are truly current and are changed on schedule

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Just imagine when cockpits go paperless and have all approaches overlaid on a MFD. Civilian world would probably have it 3 decades before the military, but it's a nice thought...until everything goes to sh!t in the cockpit.

phrogpilot73

VFR? What's VFR!:icon_tong
I'll piggyback as well, when PFPS can't be accessed on the road and your like me<---shitty with it, I use both www.duats.com as well as www.duat.com both civilian based flight planning. Jet Route Auto Routing is very handy.
I've never used it, but I can agree about aeroplanner.com. I have a membership on it, I absolutely love the trip ticks, auto routing, ability to use forecasted winds to do your navigation log, etc... All around SPECTACULAR website...

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
Hey guys,

I found this website when I realized I was one chart short for a sim. You can download all of the DOD approach plates. Works nicely if you just need to look at them ahead of time and then can get the real thing later, saves a drive back to the squadron.

http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=aeronav/applications/d_tpp
- NOTE: Link changed from original so you can get the most up-to-date approaches.

Old thread, but I wanted to resurrect it for newer pilots that may not have this info. Great planning tool for if you're like me and wait until your student calls to find out what approaches you want him to do the next day before you realize that your approach plates are back at the squadron. BTW, for the students, this is an official FAA website which means these are legitimate plates (IE Not Gouge). They even have dates on them which makes the printouts legal to use in the aircraft. Might be easier than flipping open the Volume 19 (or whichever volume applies) if you know in advance what approaches you're going to shoot.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Little smartpaks are the way to go (as long as you carry the FLIPS somewhere in the cockpit). I wish the DOD FLIPS were loose leaf, hole punched, and blue brain sized like some of the subscription ones Ive seen on Sportys.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Yeah... for training especially on a CAVU day, it'd be nice to print out only what you need, and not lug around an obnoxious volume to flip through (although if you have it in case you need it... perfect solution).

I've definitely used Airnav for everything from a VFR supp to checkout airport info, to printing off FAA approach plates. Great website and totally free: ie - no signing in or anything. Just browse and print.