• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Doing research - after action rescue/survival reports

danpass

Good afternoon. I'm doing research for a signalling and survival kit I'm creating and looking for after action reports that demonstrate what worked and what didn't work both from the downed perspective (e.g.: this thermal blanket is great) as well as the searcher's perspective (e.g.: that strobe led me right to him).

So far I've generically contacted the Coast Guard here in Miami which further led to me to leaving a voicemail at D7 Public Affairs.

I was wondering if there was a better way and then also if possible to get AA reports from AF, USN, USA. The classified stuff and methods aren't practical for this kit IMO so having that censored out is no issue to me.

Thanks for any input.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Good afternoon. I'm doing research for a signalling and survival kit I'm creating and looking for after action reports that demonstrate what worked and what didn't work both from the downed perspective (e.g.: this thermal blanket is great) as well as the searcher's perspective (e.g.: that strobe led me right to him).

So far I've generically contacted the Coast Guard here in Miami which further led to me to leaving a voicemail at D7 Public Affairs.

I was wondering if there was a better way and then also if possible to get AA reports from AF, USN, USA. The classified stuff and methods aren't practical for this kit IMO so having that censored out is no issue to me.

Thanks for any input.

One thing that has helped in a few searches in recent history is having a cell phone that is fully charged. A few guys have called back and told the rescuers where they were and they needed a ride home.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Any of the folks at the Naval Aviation Survival Training Center(s) will have the 411 on what the latest and greatest, as well as the tried and true survival stuff. Where are you? Anywhere there's a concentration of Naval Aviation, there's more than likely going to be an ASTC nearby. If not, you can always call them.

danpass

One thing that has helped in a few searches in recent history is having a cell phone that is fully charged. A few guys have called back and told the rescuers where they were and they needed a ride home.
I've got PLB at the top of my list. If it is functional then a cellular is an option, and while having it is nice, I've decided not to "count" on it. So, it may be there, it may be an option, but in a dunk at sea I would automatically consider it dead as a safety item. If it does work, then great, bring a pizza with you too please, lol.

danpass

Any of the folks at the Naval Aviation Survival Training Center(s) will have the 411 on what the latest and greatest, as well as the tried and true survival stuff. Where are you? Anywhere there's a concentration of Naval Aviation, there's more than likely going to be an ASTC nearby. If not, you can always call them.
Thanks, I'm in Miami, FL. I suppose Key West is the closest. Any contacts down there?

edit: looks like Pensacola is the one.

phrogpilot73

You can try the ASTC in Norfolk, every time I've gone there they've been more than helpful. Give them a call, I've also never had them not answer the phone (start with the quarterdeck number). The Naval Safety Center might be willing to help as well. Go to Aviation -> Aeromedical, then scroll to the bottom and click on Points of Contact. There's several numbers I would try there (mishap branch, data analysis branch, life support systems branch) and just tell them what you're looking for. If nothing else, those guys would be able to provide you the specific info for a FOIA request if it's needed. Whatever you do, don't call the first number listed for the mishap branch, that's to report a mishap/request their assistance in investigating a mishap.

Oh, and you can get waterproof cases for cell phones, as well as waterproof cell phones. I have my iPhone in a lifeproof case, and it's good to 6 feet of water for 30 minutes. You can also mail your phone to Liquipel and it comes back waterproof.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Danpass, I was involved in a successful combat SAR, in which the survival kit certainly came into play. I wrote a detailed narrative of the incident from launch until I was returned to my ship. It includes all info from the AAR, plus my experiences with certain items in my survival kit, which did/didn't work properly & items I would like to have had.

If you are interested, PM me your e-mail address, I'll return e-mail you a copy of the narrative... then answer any questions you may have regarding the experience. I this is not relevant, please disregard.;)
BzB

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
ha, I was just trying Pcola. I got tired of the phone ringing though lol.

It looks like FOIA is the method to go with but according to https://foia.navy.mil/foia/webDoc01.nsf/(vwWebPage)/HowToRequest.htm?OpenDocument I need to be specific. But I don't have specifics. Recommendations?

Don't go the FOIA route first; call the school houses and ask to speak to an instructor. Tell them what you what type of information you are looking for and why.
Going FOIA right away will not win you any friends since it causes a whole lot of pain for the folks who have to dig up all kinds of data.
Your best bet is to call the folks who teach survival training:

Air Force SERE School: http://www.fairchild.af.mil/units/336traininggroup/index.asp

Joint Personnel Recovery Agency: Telephone: (703)704-0637

Navy Water Survival in Jax: Director: (904) 542-3911

Naval Air Systems Command (Pax River): http://www.navair.navy.mil/index.cf...play&key=5F706B39-C1BC-4810-9FE0-8DE2568E4D65

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
You could try the Search and Rescue Model Manager. They get reports from (theoretically) every search and rescue the Navy does. I don't know what they are able to release, but they're part of HSC-3, so maybe if you call them they can help. Good luck.

danpass

ok, I've made some minor progress. I was able to speak with someone at SARMM which led to a different number though voicemail. But at least not the general voicemail box lol.

The guys who assemble the kits ('life support personnel'?), are you guys on the board?

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Check with SERE School. Aside from what they do normally, they used to sometimes conduct involved SAR-Xs. (Don't know if they still do.) This involved a couple of poor guys (like me) being yanked unexpectedly out of a ready room during a briefing off the coast of SoCal, and then being dumped near Warner Springs as if they were shot down.

The scenario was 24 hours of evasion covering a large distance in rugged terrain to a pick-up point. The next day the airwing flew over performing simulated combat SAR. The "bad" guys even had a big 37mm AAA gun firing blanks that was loud as hell!

A most detailed after action report was written commenting on the entire evolution. And I was grounded for 3 days from a number of effects of that exercise.