• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Do Carrier COs and XOs Fly?

JWL

Or, do they simply drive and otherwise lead the ship? I understand that the CAG is also an 0-6 like the CO of the carrier. But, is it correct to say that the CAG flies regularly while the CO does not, despite the fact that the CO is an aviator as well.

And, does the CO have an equal relationship with the CAG, or does the CAG report to the CO?

Thanks.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No, carrier captains and XOs do not fly as part of their job. It may happen occasionally, but it’s unusual.

The air wing isn’t part of the ship. It’s an embarked command. CAG and the carrier’s CO have equal status, and both report to the strike group Admiral, along with the rest of the strike group captains and the embarked destroyer squadron commodore.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I will caveat this with the disclaimer that my experience is limited to one carrier and one air wing, but both our CO and CAG both flew regularly throughout deployment, to the point of much abuse from the JO’s during follies.

I don’t remember the XO flying at all.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
At that point in their careers, they probably only need 50 flight hours per year to keep their flight pay.

robav8r

None
Contributor
When I was a Shooter on CVN-71 in '04 to '06, the CO (J.R. Haley) was an EA-6B pilot and flew regularly. I believe @Recovering LSO was aboard during that time as well. Captain Haley flew a lot if memory serves . . . . .

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Or, do they simply drive and otherwise lead the ship? I understand that the CAG is also an 0-6 like the CO of the carrier. But, is it correct to say that the CAG flies regularly while the CO does not, despite the fact that the CO is an aviator as well.

And, does the CO have an equal relationship with the CAG, or does the CAG report to the CO?

Thanks.

Boat CO I had tended to fly once/twice a week ashore and 3-5 days a week afloat... depending on what he could get away with schedule wise. He was on a quest to get his 1000 traps. Someone more concerned about stealing flight time and proficiency away from junior pilots in the Air Wing may not fly nearly as much.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think there was a Navy policy, unofficial or official, that Carrier CO's weren't supposed to fly regularly but that changed a while ago. I think it was that they didn't send them through the RAG for a refresher to get current but now they can, IIRC it was from the mid-to-late 90's to the mid-00's it was in place, I remember it from an article about a CV Skipper who was the first to fly regularly after the 'policy' changed.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When I was a Shooter on CVN-71 in '04 to '06, the CO (J.R. Haley) was an EA-6B pilot and flew regularly. I believe @Recovering LSO was aboard during that time as well. Captain Haley flew a lot if memory serves . . . . .
I was his boat ECMO during work-ups. Great dude, but he did like to op-check the stall warning horn in the approach turn, which is never a comfortable moment.

robav8r

None
Contributor
I was his boat ECMO during work-ups. Great dude, but he did like to op-check the stall warning horn in the approach turn, which is never a comfortable moment.
We always enjoyed taking him to Cat 4 and giving him a little "extra" on the cat stroke :cool:

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Our Captain flew a day tanker line every third or fourth day. Our CAG flew reguarly, as well as our CSG. Our CSG even flew one combat mission, but the Captain didn't go in country.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Our Captain flew a day tanker line flew every third or fourth day. Our CAG flew reguarly, as well as our CSG. Our CSG even flew one combat mission, but the Captain didn't go in country.
Our CO on TR flew a couple of combat missions in the F/A-18 during Desert Storm. He come back to the bridge all cranked up and smiling about dropping bombs on bad guys.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Our CO on TR flew a couple of combat missions in the F/A-18 during Desert Storm. He come back to the bridge all cranked up and smiling about dropping bombs on bad guys.
I don't know why ours didn't. I'm sure he would've wanted to.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Tough to do combat flight these days if you don't maintain nx currency, which most 1310 CVN COs don't.