• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Diopters, Spheres, and Cylinders, oh my!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pltReed

Hey guys! This is my first time posting to this board. I’ve been a lurker here for a while. J
I’ve got a question on the pre-operative surgical requirements. I printed out the NAMI medical document (http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/Nami/WaiverGuideTopics/ophthalmology.htm#lasik ) and showed it to my doc.

Under “Aeromedical Concerns” it says, “The appropriate preoperative refractive error range is –8.00 to +6.00 total diopters sphere with no more than 3.00 diopters of cylinder.” I fit into that, EXCEPT for my right eye. I have 3.25 diopters cylinder in my right eye.

My doc is extremely confidant in his prospects for the surgery. He is shooting for 20/15, and fully expects to hit 20/20. Of course, he’s paid to say that, however, he’s been my doc for a while, and he’s really a great surgeon, great track record, real quality.

How sticky are these Pre-Operative reqs? I looked up the attached docs (PRK AMS template, SF 507/SF-93 Continuation) and found no mention of Cylinders (whatever those are). If I go ahead with the surgery, and end up with 20/20 vision, what then? I really want this to work out, but not if it is going to ruin everything. Does anyone have any advice, or experiences?

Thanks guys!

aviat24

aviat24

Well it's 5 days after PRK and things are not to bad(the contacts came out today). I was surprised how little pain there was, I only took advil on day 2 but obviously people also have different pain thresholds so who knows?
Things are still not sharp or super clear, I think I probably see about 20/80. My vision has fluctuated and each individual eye can be better or worse than the other on any given day. It's like someone has a dimmer switch attached to your eyes and it can go back and forth. My doc says a week before things are "acceptable", two weeks before they are "good", and a month before they are very good or great. This is obviuosly a very general rule of thumb and I think it's best to keep a positive but realistic attitude. It may be 2 months or 6 months before your eyes really see well. It's not easy having a goal predicated on how your eyes react after being barbequed but hell if I can fly I will look back on this decision as the best I ever made. Even if I don't hit 20/20 and I don't get a waiver at least hoepfully I will not be dependant on contacts and glasses any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.