• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dfas

smonahan

Called DFAS today and got the "it depends" answer. My question was when do we first get paid upon entering active duty(reporting to OCS?). I am trying to get all my finances in order so I am not bouncing checks. If I start on the 13th of the month will I be paid for the 13th through the end of the month on the 15th of that same month or will be waiting till the first of the next month? Anyone who might have the answer please chime in.

Bevo16

pilot
If you get any pay on the 15th, it will be for 1 or 2 days. On the first of the next month you should expect a full month's pay.

LET73

"Should" is the operative word. Pay issues aren't uncommon early on, so stay on top of it and make sure you're getting 1) paid and 2) the right amount.

a2b2c3

Mmmm Poundcake
pilot
Contributor
If you get any pay on the 15th, it will be for 1 or 2 days. On the first of the next month you should expect a full month's pay.

And by the full months pay he means the next 15 days of work. In the navy you do the work and then get paid. So 1-2 days for the first half month, then the full second half month. If that makes any sense.

The Renegade

LT, SC, USN
Since you are starting on the 13th, chances are that your pay (if you were not a BDCP candidate) will not take effect on the 15th pay date. This is because the cut off for all pay matters to take effect for the 15th pay date will be (normally) between the 6 - 9th. My guess is that you will not receive your first pay from the Navy until the 1st, at which point said pay will be retroactive to the 13th. So, you'll receive about 17 days worth of pay on the 1st.

The Pay and Support Detachment (PSD) up in Newport have been doing this a long time and seems to be pretty good. I haven't heard any bad things about them concerning pay issues, so I won't worry about it too much.

Plus your class Chief will do everything he/she can to prevent their students from having pay problems at OCS... Navy Chiefs are bull dogs with that kind of stuff... being a PS dealing with Navy pay as an enlisted, I know that all to well!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
General comment re: DFAS .... they are severely fucked up. Severely dysfunctional ...

I got a call from NAVPERs today ... they have to re-do a couple of my DFAS forms because the date -- at the bottom left of the page -- is out of date. The form is the same ... each & every line ... it's just the 'date'.

I know ... I know ... I'm a few years late applying for my 'retired pay' ... but I don't care.
:)

This is the same outfit that paid me for LT when I was NAVAIRRES when my records had been 'lost' for several years .... :D

I should have kept my mout' shut, Bruddah's .... and I'd still be gettin' paid today for LT.
:D

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
That woulda been a terrible call A4s. DFAS can't un-eff themselves when it comes to paying you your money, but if you get one nickel more than you're owed, they'll deploy a strike force to your bank account and take it back with interest, in a heartbeat. Funny how that works. I hate bureaucrats.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....I got a call from NAVPERs today ... they have to re-do a couple of my DFAS forms because the date -- at the bottom left of the page -- is out of date. The form is the same ... each & every line ... it's just the 'date'....
I normally eschew 'quoting' myself ... kinda neurotic ... but:

DFAS UPDATE:

After being in receipt of the facsimile from the 'lady' @ NAVPERS in Melvis ... and upon closer examination ... I have determined that 3 of the 4 forms in my package that she fax'ed back to me for a re-do ARE ACTUALLY THE CORRECT DATE/ITERATION/CURRENT VERSION of the respective form.

In other words ... she's totally fucked up on 3 of the 4 'issues' she had w/ my retirement paperwork .... :D

The one she was correct on ... is the same form ... line after line, item after item ... the only thing that's changed is the date at the bottom-left of the form.

I cut/pasted the correct date, copied the original form w/ the data, and faxed it back to her.

How did we ever win any wars .... ???? :)

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
As far as the OP gos...I would prepare to not get any pay until the next 15th...the 1st is very optimistic...at Great Lakes we didn't see it until week 6...

UserName

Here are some things to add to the rest of the posts.

You start earning pay based on when you leave home to go to OCS. So if you are driving you will get some extra money depending how far you are driving from. When I went, I drove from CA so i got almost an extra week's worth of pay plus all of the extra travel per diem etc....

It was about a year ago for me but I remember I started on the 24th and did not get paid on the 30th of that month. I had to wait until the 15th of the following month but that first check was pretty nice to get because it had all that back pay.

And.. Good luck once you get there!!

smonahan

So what you guys are saying is....it's a total goat, watch my LES like a hawk, and it never ends. Pretty much what I thought.