• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCA & Conditional Release

zVo

I've read various places - to include this forum - of active duty Army guys getting picked up for the USCG's DCA program without break in service and a conditional release / DD Form 368 was alluded to.

While I'd love to apply for DCA, I want to fully explore the possibilities of applying while in the service before walking out the door. I still have three years left on my current ADSO -- I do not mind serving out the remainder of my time before applying, but if I can apply sooner, I definitely will.

Any active duty Army to USCG DCAs apply while on active duty? Did you use a conditional release? Did you have an ADSO remaining? What was the process? Anyone experience backlash from your command?

V/R,
zVo

KB17

pilot
zVo, I just went through the Oct 13 board and got picked up (Army O3). In order for you to even be considered you must have a conditional release (DD 368) signed by your branch manager. If you read the instructions on the second page of the DD368 it merely says "signed by unit commander or designated representative". Trust me on this one, your unit commander's signature is not sufficient. If you're picked up you will not have a break in service. You will be wearing ACUs one day, and swear into the CG the very next day.

The process is not terribly complex. The first step is to contact a recruiter near you. The next board is meeting on 01 Dec 14. However, all of your paperwork must be to the recruiter, error free, by 22 Sept 14 so he can send it up to CGRC. I was released from the Army without an issue (no ADSO) and with the current climate of drawing down I highly doubt you'll have an issue even with an ADSO. As far as backlash from your command, it all depends on your command. Mine was exceptionally supportive, but I've also heard the exact opposite from others who have tried to do this. Test the waters, but bottom line, don't keep them in the dark. You'll be guaranteed to experience backlash if you do.

Look at this website to see if you meet the qualification standards:
http://www.gocoastguard.com/active-...nities/programs/direct-commission-aviator-dca

This link will take you to the program forms and deadlines:
http://www.gocoastguard.com/active-duty-careers/officer-opportunities/plan-your-next-move

If you have any other questions let me know. Good luck.

zVo

KB17,

Thank you SO MUCH for your response. This is extremely insightful. This bit of information seems to fall through the cracks frequently. I'll definitely heed your advice as I am sure my current command would be supportive so long as I didn't spring it on them. I am on the block to deploy soon so I'll probably aim for the following year's board. I think you're right... with all the downsizing going on, I'd be surprised if they have an issue with ADSOs.

Congratulations on your selection for DCA and thank you for all your help.

Fott1985

pilot
I posted this in the main DCA thread but figured it might be more appropriate here:

All,
I have a question about USN conditional release timing for the DCA boards. My USN MSR is FEB 17' and 10 year mark JUN 17'. I am an HSC guy on a PEP Sea Billet flying H-3s that has been a real pleasure and have had some amazing experiences getting to interact with a nearby CG station with my Foreign Squadron. I know that current USN O-4 promotion rates have been a bloodbath which will likely mean a 2 x FOS (I'm YG 07 so my first look wont even occur until 17') for me and RW FTS boards selection rates have been equally laughable, so it has made my decision easy to fully pursue DCA. Friends that I know that have successfully got accepted through DCA have said that persistence pays off and be willing to go through multiple boards. I have begun to put my package together with my local coast guard recruiter to attempt the soonest board (MAY 15'), but I am concerned after referencing the MILPERSMAN 1300-081 "Inter-service Transfer of an Officer out of the Navy" because according the recruiter the earliest accession date into the USCG from that board would be Jan '16 which occurs after my PRD with my current command(SEP 15'). Does that accession date sound right? I know I will be putting in for an MSR waiver, but can my current CO even endorse an approval for conditional release if the date I have listed as the "Scheduled date of separation from active duty (if any)"(MILPERSMAN 1300-081 Para 8.O) is after I have left that command? Is it worth asking the detailer for an extension on my current orders to make that timing work? For that matter, anybody here know if HSC OCMs are approving out quotas for conditional release? Conversely, I am about to select my follow on orders (likely 24 month orders) and was wondering how past DCAs broached this topic with their USN COs that was reasonably diplomatic about a desire to apply for DCA. I was planning letting whatever that command ends up being know as soon as possible, so they are in the know and aren't in the dark. If the May 15' board doesn't work out, is it worth bargaining with my next USN command and detailer to sit the DEC 15' DCA board out, and try again for an estimated MAY and DEC 16' DCA boards in order to put more time in my next set of orders prior to re-requesting a conditional release(since it will be likely just past the year expiration put in place on a conditional release approval paperwork) to have that accession date(my guess being JAN 17' or summer of 17') line up closer to my MSR?

Apologies if this is too specific, but any and all help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Ultimately, I want to give this as many shots as I can and am trying to figure the best way to go about this before I hit 10 years. Thanks.

zVo

I am currently deployed right now but planning on applying to the March 2016 board.

Another question came up and it is related to those still with ADSOs remaining:
While the Coast Guard may only need a DD Form 368 with the proper signatures from the Army, is there more involved in getting released from the Army side of the house?

I know an active duty CW2 AH-64 driver that got a DD Form 368 signed off in order for him to join the Air National Guard to become a jet pilot. He was trying to get out ASAP in order to mee the age 30 UPT age cut-off. The HRC aviation branch chief (in this case, an O-5) signed off on it; however, he needed to put in an unqualified resignation packet and receive a waiver for his ADSO from the Assistant Secretary of the Army, Department of Manpower and Reserve Affairs (ASADMRA). He's still working that issue as we speak.

Do Army DCA applicants have to jump through the same hoops and deal with the same shenanigans on the Army side of the house? Granted, he was transferring to a reserve component and I am unsure if the Coast Guard works any magic with HRC (my guess would be no, however). If the same thing is required for the Army, people applying for DCA need to know about it because the timelines involved with said packets and waivers are long (180-365 days).

So, in summary -- I'm looking for someone with first-hand knowledge on the matter if the only paperwork required to get out of the Army and into USCG DCA is the DD Form 368.

zlevi

4 years later and I'm still hoping for a response... More specifically, if any Navy guys have pursued and attained a conditional release through Millington. I'm also curious if the signature of the first O6 in your command is enough to at least complete the board interview so that your package can be submitted for review. The verbiage, "Individual is recommended and conditional release is granted" in the DD-368 is throwing off my CO as to the legality of his signature. The reason being that the O6 in my command 100% does not have to ability to grant a conditional release, but NPC does.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
4 years later and I'm still hoping for a response... More specifically, if any Navy guys have pursued and attained a conditional release through Millington. I'm also curious if the signature of the first O6 in your command is enough to at least complete the board interview so that your package can be submitted for review. The verbiage, "Individual is recommended and conditional release is granted" in the DD-368 is throwing off my CO as to the legality of his signature. The reason being that the O6 in my command 100% does not have to ability to grant a conditional release, but NPC does.

I would agree that your O6 does not have the ability to grant your conditional release from the Navy.

I kicked the tires on the Coast Guard DCA as well as NOAA. Coast Guard seemed to want the DD368 approved before the board, but my knowledge was from 2017/2018. I'd ask the DCA recruiter. Specific stuff about the conditional release seem to change with the shifting sands of Millington's mood (lots of approvals in 2017, then spigot turned off later in 2018). Latest answer on them would come from the Aviation OCM/your detailer (gulp). You could try to go through your front office or contact them directly.

Ironically, NOAA doesn't care about the DD368 and works some deal directly at the Flag level if you're selected. ?‍♂️

IST is a "choose your own adventure" type thing, as I'm sure you're learning. Good luck.

zlevi

I would agree that your O6 does not have the ability to grant your conditional release from the Navy.

I kicked the tires on the Coast Guard DCA as well as NOAA. Coast Guard seemed to want the DD368 approved before the board, but my knowledge was from 2017/2018. I'd ask the DCA recruiter. Specific stuff about the conditional release seem to change with the shifting sands of Millington's mood (lots of approvals in 2017, then spigot turned off later in 2018). Latest answer on them would come from the Aviation OCM/your detailer (gulp). You could try to go through your front office or contact them directly.

Ironically, NOAA doesn't care about the DD368 and works some deal directly at the Flag level if you're selected. ?‍♂️

IST is a "choose your own adventure" type thing, as I'm sure you're learning. Good luck.

Right??? This definitely feels like a weird choose your own adventure. You're also 100% right that Millington is weird about everything. I'm working with my front office now but my skipper wants the exact pub that shows him that he's got a leg to stand on with that request from Millington. I've been through about 7 so far and every time I think I've found the right pub it legitimately tells me to go check out a different pub. It's infuriating! I'll have to update this thread if I get any traction!

SynixMan

pilot
Contributor
Right??? This definitely feels like a weird choose your own adventure. You're also 100% right that Millington is weird about everything. I'm working with my front office now but my skipper wants the exact pub that shows him that he's got a leg to stand on with that request from Millington. I've been through about 7 so far and every time I think I've found the right pub it legitimately tells me to go check out a different pub. It's infuriating! I'll have to update this thread if I get any traction!

My info is about 3 years old, but the MILPERSMAN for ISTs are out of date. I think you’ll want the SECNAVINST, which is also out of date, but Millington has “business rules” to make it work.

On the “calling Millington” piece, I’ve actually found 95% of people there that aren’t detailers to be great folks who are helpful and answer in plain language. I’d start with the Officer resignations folks or maybe the aviation OCM.

zlevi

So from my own observations, it truly seems like your info is still spot on. I can’t find a pub that doesn’t point me to a woefully out of date pub and they all just keep doing it. The absolute newest one I can find is still three years old and definitely seems like it’s at odds with a few of the others that I’ve been looking at.

I’m going to start with the resignation guys on Monday and see what happens. The good news is that I’m 100% staying as far away from my detailer as possible! One of my counterparts made the mistake of calling and it really didn’t go well.

If you don’t mind my asking, have you had any success with the “business rules” of Millington?

SynixMan

pilot
Contributor
So from my own observations, it truly seems like your info is still spot on. I can’t find a pub that doesn’t point me to a woefully out of date pub and they all just keep doing it. The absolute newest one I can find is still three years old and definitely seems like it’s at odds with a few of the others that I’ve been looking at.

I’m going to start with the resignation guys on Monday and see what happens. The good news is that I’m 100% staying as far away from my detailer as possible! One of my counterparts made the mistake of calling and it really didn’t go well.

If you don’t mind my asking, have you had any success with the “business rules” of Millington?

In 2019 my coworker in Bahrain, a SWO JG, was working on a USMC transition package. For him, he was told to use the NSIPS resignation workflow, but to put comments it was for a conditional release. ?

zlevi

In 2019 my coworker in Bahrain, a SWO JG, was working on a USMC transition package. For him, he was told to use the NSIPS resignation workflow, but to put comments it was for a conditional release. ?
Whoa... Bold move. That’s a hell of a lot of trust that someone will actually read the comment section.

zlevi

More news! It turns out that the NSIPS workflow is still how things work (at least that’s the story from my detailer). Essentially with the current climate of the Navy, unless you know a guy you’re not getting that conditional release if you’re still eligible for a year of sea duty.

Also, in terms of burning that possible promotion bridge, it turns out that if you request a conditional release, your file doesn’t even make it to the board. You’ve Essen just hit the nuclear option on ending your career while still having to take at least a year of sea duty orders.

SynixMan

pilot
Contributor
More news! It turns out that the NSIPS workflow is still how things work (at least that’s the story from my detailer). Essentially with the current climate of the Navy, unless you know a guy you’re not getting that conditional release if you’re still eligible for a year of sea duty.

Also, in terms of burning that possible promotion bridge, it turns out that if you request a conditional release, your file doesn’t even make it to the board. You’ve Essen just hit the nuclear option on ending your career while still having to take at least a year of sea duty orders.

While sad, none of this is particularly surprising. Nothing says retention problem quite like fucking over a few people who want to go to an extremely limited inter-service transfer board.