• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Crossing the finish line... running, walking or crawling... (Reserve Retirement Process)

RHINOWSO

"Yeah, we are going to need to see that one again"
None
For me it was a crawl at the end, having dropped from SELRES to IRR the last couple of years, but I finally crossed the finish line with 20 good years and 5K+ pts.

The last several years were painful, dealing with lots of the retirement points locked behind CAC firewalls and the typical aloofness of BUPERS to the plight of us languishing in the IRR. I considered sticking around and trying to gather up some more retirement points, but when considering spending hours of my life slogging through some (IMO) pretty worthless online courses --- compared to spending those hours living my life, playing with my kids, throwing the ball for the dogs, it was no contest. It was time to go.

The process was pretty simple, I downloaded and filled out the form on BUPERS website, http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/career/reservepersonnelmgmt/ReserveRetirements/Documents/Format for Requesting Transfer to the Retired Reserve.docx

I printed it out, signed it, and mailed it to PERS-912 with tracking to ensure it arrived. About two months after it arrived at BUPERS, I received a call from a nice lady up at 912 and she explained I had to retire on the first a month (I had put the 15th of the month). After correcting that, I received my paperwork about 5 months after I submitted it (but it was effective about a month prior). The certificate arrived with a US made flag which was shipped in a large padded envelope and stuffed into my mailbox. Which is fine with me, I retired like I left Active Duty and SELRES - one day I was there, the next I was gone.

I have a number of years to go before getting retirement pay, but assuming we aren't a banana republic by then, it'll be a nice paycheck at 60 years old - after which I plan on perfecting doing nothing. ;)

ETA - I forgot - BUPERS is supposed to send you a letter (NOE - Notice Of Eligibility) saying you have enough good years to retire, however those are running 6-12 months behind. I called up the points people before submitting and the lady told me this, as well as saying I had enough points / years and could submit paperwork before receiving the letter.

Last edited:
Congrats buddy! I went SELRES to transfer my GI Bill to my kids. Retirement is one year, GI Bill xfr is two. I'm honestly contemplating punching out in one, for the same reasons as you--tough to get that year back with my kids, and I'm not sure it's worth the heartache of doing bystander-intervention-to-the-fleet which is chart-the-course the next year and now face-the-facts or something this year...each with a brand new "train the trainer" course and associated BS, along with all the other associated BS. Anyway, good job!

RHINOWSO

None
That is a tough call - I had already transferred mine to my family, so that wasn't an issue - however I would have likely sucked it up for another year in a case like yours... but who knows?

Those productive DWEs of watching paint dry and listening to the standard drivel about this and that, what the latest buzzwords where that year, the knee-jerk 'training', etc, etc was just too much for me to take as a SELRES, along with the added possibility of some crappy 365 MOB plus 180 day training finally got me to eject out to the IRR... ;)

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
Thanks for the post, Rhino and once again, congrats. I'm hanging on by my finger nails...I've noticed my ambition and motivation eroding. I was all about maxing out the year when I started IRR, all about getting my JPME Qual from NWC. But now, I'm a minimum kind of guy and don't particularly care if I leave a couple hundred points on the table. Thanks for the retirement gouge. Fair winds and following seas. (I kinda feel like all the IRR Warriors should get together and have their own retirement party in Vegas...)

atmahan

... facility for offence.
Congrats, RHINOSWO!

I received what I am calling my "Sanctuary Letter" last year (during my 19th Year) informing me that I had 18 Qualifying Years and that, per the US Code that we have discussed in other threads on this Forum, I was allowed 3 Years to get my 20.

It was funny because the wording states something like "this is a one time opportunity" which I plan to fully take!

And I do agree with everyone who has posted so far . . . .

This is a Grind and it will be very hard to fine the motivation to get Points beyond the 35 that I will need for my 20th Year (even the 35 Minimum that I will need will be Tough!).

I have already submitted my max points for my 19th Year, which PERS has acknowledged via email using their new system.

That now gives me 2 more Years starting this June to get my 20th Qualifying Year.

I plan on doing the 35 points in Correspondence Courses for my 20th Year as soon as my next Anniversary Year starts this year to unofficially get over the Finish Line (in case they start getting silly ideas in their heads again like they did a few years ago!)

After that, however, I have to decide whether to do a Final Effort and try to get the remaining 80 Points (to get the Max Points for my 20th Year), or just leave them on the table (right now I am leaning toward the latter).

BUT I CAN HONESTLY SAY THAT THIS FORUM HAS BEEN MY GREATEST INSPIRATION TO GET ME TO THE FINISH LINE!

And I would like to Thank Each and Everyone One of you Guys, especially vxc961, for starting these threads!

And I Totally Agree on that Vegas Idea!

RHINOWSO

None
Definitely knock out your 35 pts as soon as you can in your 20th year - then coast down the hill to the finish line. If you feel the motivation to go for more, have at it. I did 38 pts eventually because there was some lost points, which was eventually resolved but I didn't want to take the chance at not making it.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
For me it was a crawl at the end, having dropped from SELRES to IRR the last couple of years, but I finally crossed the finish line with 20 good years and 5K+ pts.

The last several years were painful, dealing with lots of the retirement points locked behind CAC firewalls and the typical aloofness of BUPERS to the plight of us languishing in the IRR. I considered sticking around and trying to gather up some more retirement points, but when considering spending hours of my life slogging through some (IMO) pretty worthless online courses --- compared to spending those hours living my life, playing with my kids, throwing the ball for the dogs, it was no contest. It was time to go.

The process was pretty simple, I downloaded and filled out the form on BUPERS website, http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/career/reservepersonnelmgmt/ReserveRetirements/Documents/Format for Requesting Transfer to the Retired Reserve.docx

I printed it out, signed it, and mailed it to PERS-912 with tracking to ensure it arrived. About two months after it arrived at BUPERS, I received a call from a nice lady up at 912 and she explained I had to retire on the first a month (I had put the 15th of the month). After correcting that, I received my paperwork about 5 months after I submitted it (but it was effective about a month prior). The certificate arrived with a US made flag which was shipped in a large padded envelope and stuffed into my mailbox. Which is fine with me, I retired like I left Active Duty and SELRES - one day I was there, the next I was gone.

I have a number of years to go before getting retirement pay, but assuming we aren't a banana republic by then, it'll be a nice paycheck at 60 years old - after which I plan on perfecting doing nothing. ;)

ETA - I forgot - BUPERS is supposed to send you a letter (NOE - Notice Of Eligibility) saying you have enough good years to retire, however those are running 6-12 months behind. I called up the points people before submitting and the lady told me this, as well as saying I had enough points / years and could submit paperwork before receiving the letter.

Congrats on getting the 20 good years. I have friends that left active duty 2 decades ago, wanted nothing to do with the reserves and are now seriously regretting that decision.

I am on the Rocky Balboa plan - trying to go the distance. Wanted to do some informative NWC courses but was dropped (I think) due to being in the IRR - now it is whatever I can find. Only a couple of years to HYT so the end is thankfully near.

grunt corpsman / jag lover
Congrats on getting the 20 good years. I have friends that left active duty 2 decades ago, wanted nothing to do with the reserves and are now seriously regretting that decision.

I am on the Rocky Balboa plan - trying to go the distance. Wanted to do some informative NWC courses but was dropped (I think) due to being in the IRR - now it is whatever I can find. Only a couple of years to HYT so the end is thankfully near.

Your post reads like I wrote it myself. ACDU was 71-77, reafilliated with Reserve in 90, retired 2005....started drawing the check in 2013. The gray area time was the worst, i.e., essentially a zero benefits period causing me to wonder if it was worth the pain in the ass drill weekends, 2wk ACDUTRA, coupled with a 60hr a week job and family. When age 60 crept up on me and DFAS started hitting the bank account every month (paying 10 times what I made per month in 1971), healthcare premium went from 8k per year to $300 per year, wife getting Tricare for Life at no extra charge, it became apparent how worthwhile the reserve affilliation really was. Congratulation to any and all who stick with it to completion.........it's well worth the effort.

I just got my "you have three years to get one good year" letter...

A) I have to say, it's great this is done. I really appreciate the sanctuary provisions, as otherwise I might get cut off with 19 years and 7 months.

B). It's also made me a bit KMA about all the BS of the reserves!

C). Thanks for the perspective that it's worth it. When I'm gone is inevitably when the wife's car breaks down, a big book report is due, or the teenager breaks up with his girlfriend and we all pay the price.

subreservist

I just got my "you have three years to get one good year" letter...

That's awesome, vxc! That should at least take the pressure off and may even give you a couple of more chances to select to the next rank.

Does the 3 years start from what would be your 20th year or does it start from the point/date you received the letter (I'm presuming you are at year 17 or 18 now)?

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
When does this letter show up? I'm in the middle of year 18 right now and I haven't seen it...

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm just entering year 18 myself, so I guess I need to start educating myself on the process. I've been in the USNR for seven years now and have been very lucky to have always landed in paid, flying billets, and the orders I'm in now will take me across the finish line.

My mom was a Reservist and had to crawl across the finish line in the IRR - it's a struggle to find paid billets for an O-6 1835 away from a Fleet concentration area - but she's said repeatedly the retirement pay and benefits have been well worth it.

subreservist

I don't think it is a standard letter.

Correct. It applies to those that have some bad years but reach the reserve sanctuary threshold (at least 18 qualifying years). Receiving a letter like vxc describes allows you additional time get those qualifying years to retire.

If you have never had a bad year and are tracking normally towards retirement, you would not get this letter.

It is generally thought that having more than 2 bad years as an officer will make it challenging to reach retirement, but depending on "needs of the Navy" and the continuation/retention policy in effect at the time, there could still be options even with more than 2.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
I'm just entering year 18 myself, so I guess I need to start educating myself on the process. I've been in the USNR for seven years now and have been very lucky to have always landed in paid, flying billets, and the orders I'm in now will take me across the finish line.

My mom was a Reservist and had to crawl across the finish line in the IRR - it's a struggle to find paid billets for an O-6 1835 away from a Fleet concentration area - but she's said repeatedly the retirement pay and benefits have been well worth it.

Congrats - almost there. Remember anything past 20 is like a bonus round. The one thing to watch for after you leave SelRes (and you have the benefit of family having already been through it) is that first year in the IRR is somewhat disorientating.